1%
No votes
No votes
1%
1%

Total votes : 131

"The Web of Fear" (Merged Threads)

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:48 am

Just watched a clip of Web of Fear, and there was a bit of fungus breaking through a wall which looked a bit... well, let's say the wall looked like a scenic flat with a triangle cut out and some bright light shining through. Which it was.

Now I have to say, when I listened to the audio, I imagined it as a proper wall with the bricks all cracked and bulged out.

Also, the yeti looked silly :floorroll:

PROBLEM???? :D
'teleportNOW!'

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: So, is Web of Fear any good? ;)

Postby ianj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:53 am

Go and wash your mouth out with soap feline.You deserve a jolly good smacked bottom!
Web one of the best ever.Direction,eerieness,sets,music...iconic 60s monster Troughton
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:01 pm

I think it is, yes. I've always been impressed by the audio.

But that wall cutout looked pants :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby LizR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:34 pm

:shock:

Coming soon - a poll on whether the Pope is Catholic.

I say that with my fingers firmly in my ears and while singing loudly.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Mr. Ron » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:52 pm

feline1 wrote:I think it is, yes. I've always been impressed by the audio.

But that wall cutout looked pants :lol:

On tv then would have been quite effective. Who never managed miniatures llike Anderson did, that and the foam party through the wall wasn't that bad considering.
"You've got one of the best ME resources online here." - Friends of Derek

Ronnie (n): moustache - after movie star, Ronald Coleman
Mr. Ron

Postby LizR » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:09 am

Mr. Ron wrote:Who never managed miniatures llike Anderson did

And boy did he know it. After about 15 minutes of "Thunderbird Are Go" showing us the assembly of the Zero-X spacecraft in paint-drying detail*, I fear I must have dozed off.

*accompanied by a stirring martial tune, natch
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Mr. Ron » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:11 am

At least on one version of the prints it had the credits over the top - without... :roll:

Still, there's probably a bed sitter type out there who gets off on it I suppose.
"You've got one of the best ME resources online here." - Friends of Derek

Ronnie (n): moustache - after movie star, Ronald Coleman
Mr. Ron

Postby LizR » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:22 am

Mr. Ron wrote:At least on one version of the prints it had the credits over the top - without... :roll:

Still, there's probably a bed sitter type out there who gets off on it I suppose.

Assuming we're still talking about "Thunderbirds are go" ... :D

It was the YouTube version, viewed on our friends' "ridiculously large screen" TV (with built in internet and stuff). I can't recall if it had titles due to my brain cells dying off after watching painted egg boxes moving very slowly around on little wheels while mission control (consisting of one guy, if I remember) occasionally issued orders.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby The Nimon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:23 pm

I watched Web last night and the word Excellent springs to mind. The acting is tops, the directing is top the sets are tops, the effects and costumes are what you would expect from 60s Doctor Who. I have always classed Web as one of my top stories, just from listening to most of it, and it is still there now i've seen it. Courtney is on top form as the future Brigadier, what a shame he isn't around to see it himself. Look out for the scene near the end of part four where he has lost all his men in a battle with the Yeti and is almost ready to give up, excellently played.
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby OptikaNET » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:39 pm

Can anybody comment on the reconstructed Ep 3? Is this an entirely new recon, (which presumably would have been a lot of work for someone) or have they got Derek Handley to modify an existing LC recon or something?

One reason I'm curious is because there are rumours in the OmniRumour thread that Ep3 has been recovered, in fact, but needs so much restoration that it wasn't going to be ready in time for this release, hence the recon.

Now, if the recon is a modified-LC, then this is clearly something that could have been pressed into service because of the above situation, but if it's a Tenth-Planet-VHS-Style Recon then this is more significant work and it's harder to see that BBCWW would be willing to fund such a thing if they knew that Ep3 existed and would be available in time...

Can anybody comment?

Kind Regards
Dave
OptikaNET

Postby Allons-y » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:49 pm

OptikaNET wrote:Can anybody comment on the reconstructed Ep 3? Is this an entirely new recon, (which presumably would have been a lot of work for someone) or have they got Derek Handley to modify an existing LC recon or something?

One reason I'm curious is because there are rumours in the OmniRumour thread that Ep3 has been recovered, in fact, but needs so much restoration that it wasn't going to be ready in time for this release, hence the recon.

Now, if the recon is a modified-LC, then this is clearly something that could have been pressed into service because of the above situation, but if it's a Tenth-Planet-VHS-Style Recon then this is more significant work and it's harder to see that BBCWW would be willing to fund such a thing if they knew that Ep3 existed and would be available in time...

Can anybody comment?

Kind Regards
Dave

Afraid I can't comment, but I hope (assuming ep 3 hasn't actually been recovered) that when the DVD comes out they have animated episode 3 :)
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Re: Web of Fear poll

Postby ianj » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:03 am

Gold,gold,gold.
Never boring,dark,eerie,direction superb,acting great, Yeti suitably menacing with their lit eyes,in the tunnels,etc..sets fantastic,Lethbridge Stewart,great music and action pieces....I cant go on.Absolute classic Troughton 60s monster serial.First class...I cannot fault it.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby paradox » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:08 am

Absolute corker!
Ian Levine: "Sorry Travis, it's not just me. You clearly haven't been reading the thousands of posts on Planet Mondas forum lately, uncensored by bullies, unlike Gallifrey Base."
paradox

Postby jtiner » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:30 pm

I've got to say I'm liking Web more than Enemy so far.... just a personal preference. Web is a little predictable, with just a few sets, but it's what I expected. Enemy starts with a bang in episode one, then slows a bit (I'm only up to episode 4). And yes, I caved completely and gave money to Apple so I could watch these via a laptop connected to the television. I'm guessing the U.S. DVD release will be quite a way off, so I traded quality for instant gratification. I'll have to get the DVD releases though so I can see these as intended.
OptikaNET- I think this is a new reconstruction.... not too bad, but disappointing in the context of the other episodes being found. It looks like telesnaps and stills from other episodes, with slow pans and zooms.
jtiner

Postby Allons-y » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:36 pm

jtiner wrote:I've got to say I'm liking Web more than Enemy so far.... just a personal preference. Web is a little predictable, with just a few sets, but it's what I expected. Enemy starts with a bang in episode one, then slows a bit (I'm only up to episode 4). And yes, I caved completely and gave money to Apple so I could watch these via a laptop connected to the television. I'm guessing the U.S. DVD release will be quite a way off, so I traded quality for instant gratification. I'll have to get the DVD releases though so I can see these as intended.
OptikaNET- I think this is a new reconstruction.... not too bad, but disappointing in the context of the other episodes being found. It looks like telesnaps and stills from other episodes, with slow pans and zooms.

I'm waiting until episode 3 is either found/finally revealed or animated before I watch Web, I don't do recons but Enemy was good.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby jtiner » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Allons-y wrote:I'm waiting until episode 3 is either found/finally revealed or animated before I watch Web, I don't do recons but Enemy was good.

Yes, the rumor that episode 3 is about somewhere seems to be going strong. It would be great to see the full story on the DVD release.... I'd even take a poor quality episode 3 over any recon or animation.
jtiner

Postby Allons-y » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:47 pm

jtiner wrote:
Allons-y wrote:I'm waiting until episode 3 is either found/finally revealed or animated before I watch Web, I don't do recons but Enemy was good.

Yes, the rumor that episode 3 is about somewhere seems to be going strong. It would be great to see the full story on the DVD release.... I'd even take a poor quality episode 3 over any recon or animation.

Absolutely, we'll have to see what happens :)
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby ianj » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 am

I first saw that first episode in around 1983 or 1984 on a fan pirated vhs cassette, and thought it out standing then.
to sit here in 2013 and enjoy the whole story is more than wonderful I can't put it into words ....really.
outstandingly, outstandingly good.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:58 am

This just ain't any ol' gold boy,this be solid gold!! :D

'The Web Of Fear',I've seen the first episode,read the Target book,and heard the audio soundtrack CD many times over the years.

It's definitely a favourite of mine,it has a kind of unique quality to it doesn't it,like it belongs in a class of it's own really.

I know I won't be disappointed when I finally get to see it on dvd when it comes out.

Unless the call of the Yeti becomes too strong to resist,then I'll have to give into technology and i-Tunes :lol:

But for the time being,just happy it's back!! :D
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Deleted User 4954 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:35 am

feline1 wrote:Just watched a clip of Web of Fear, and there was a bit of fungus breaking through a wall which looked a bit... well, let's say the wall looked like a scenic flat with a triangle cut out and some bright light shining through. Which it was.

Now I have to say, when I listened to the audio, I imagined it as a proper wall with the bricks all cracked and bulged out.

Also, the yeti looked silly :floorroll:

PROBLEM???? :D

I've got to agree with that last part. From what I've seen so far, this is a very good story, creepy and iconic, with some very effective moments and excellent portrayals of the sinister Intelligence (miles above the recent efforts...)

But those friggin' Yeti...they just look flippin' ridiculous. This need not detract too much from an appreciation of the serial, its just that the original costumes (cf The Abominable Snowmen) were SO MUCH BETTER.
Deleted User 4954

Next

Return to The Troughton Era