Worst Acting Performances in Classic Who

Discussion of the classic series of Doctor Who hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
ericthehalfabee
 
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Worst/most irritating/over-acted/under-acted performances in the Classic era?

I'll start the ball rolling with these three beauties:

Rick James/Cotton - "Stubbsy, Stubbsy mate, Stubbsy!" - Thank you Servorobot.

Jenny Laird/Neska - "No, I shan't. You shan't take him! Sabor, my husband, my love! Why did you do it? Why? Why?"

Then a joint nomination for Jack May and Donald Gee in episode 2 of The Space Pirates :lol:

What are your turkeys?
User avatar
professor_who
 
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Jennifer Lonsdale when rendered unconscious by an equally under-acted red dot in Nightmare of Eden. A wonderful juxtaposition to Lewis Fiander's Tryst. Poor Cotton gets such a bad wrap. I mean, how can anyone go past Paul Whitson-Jones in that story? He was BORN overacting. The one character. He is exactly the same in the Goodies' episode 'Love the Police'!
ericthehalfabee
 
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 pm

I’m going to preempt Servo again and agree that Evans in Web of Fear is extremely grating.
Miss Cathcart
 
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Contact:

The standout worst acting performance for me in classic Who has to be Derek Newark's in Inferno - yes, Inferno. Great story, of course, but Newark's contribution is a real fly in the ointment - over-acted, hammy and way too loud. I've always found his acting in other things to be fine but he just had a wobbly in this as if he didn't quite know how to pitch the part of a Lothario in a "kids'" programme.
ericthehalfabee
 
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Miss Cathcart wrote:The standout worst acting performance for me in classic Who has to be Derek Newark's in Inferno - yes, Inferno. Great story, of course, but Newark's contribution is a real fly in the ointment - over-acted, hammy and way too loud. I've always found his acting in other things to be fine but he just had a wobbly in this as if he didn't quite know how to pitch the part of a Lothario in a "kids'" programme.
I’m shocked!!! I love Derek Newark and everything I’ve seen him in!!!

How very dare you!!!!!

:lol:
User avatar
professor_who
 
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

ericthehalfabee wrote:
Miss Cathcart wrote:The standout worst acting performance for me in classic Who has to be Derek Newark's in Inferno - yes, Inferno. Great story, of course, but Newark's contribution is a real fly in the ointment - over-acted, hammy and way too loud. I've always found his acting in other things to be fine but he just had a wobbly in this as if he didn't quite know how to pitch the part of a Lothario in a "kids'" programme.
I’m shocked!!! I love Derek Newark and everything I’ve seen him in!!!

How very dare you!!!!!

:lol:
Agreed! How VERY dare you!
User avatar
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager
Posts: 11584
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Hell
Contact:

Leeeee John as Mansell in Enlightenment. It certainly enlightened me he couldn't act for toffee. Or was it just an illusion...
ericthehalfabee
 
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Leeeee John as Mansell in Enlightenment. It certainly enlightened me he couldn't act for toffee. Or was it just an illusion...
:lol: Gotta be top 5!
User avatar
richardsmith
 
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:56 pm
Contact:

What?!! No, not the mind probe! (Paul Jerricho / Castellan)

With the emphasis placed superbly on the one word in the sentence that made the least sense.
Something Who is a podcast with many episodes:
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/

Most recently:
Episode 17, where I chat with Chris Chapman
Episode 18, where I chat with Toby Hadoke
Episode 19, where we discuss The Faceless Ones and The Idiot's Lantern
Episode 20, Missing Episodes with Steven Schapansky
User avatar
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:25 pm
Contact:

Jenny Laird in Planet of the Spiders.
Stuart Blake as the Commander in five doctors is pretty poor.
Gilly Brown as Ohica is pretty poor in Morbius. Very expressive eyes !!!!!
Crawford Logan as deedrix in Meglos. Poor.
James Warwick in earthshock happily chews the scenery.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
User avatar
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security
Posts: 9476
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Jenny Tomasin in Revelation of the Daleks and not to forget Donald Eccles in the Time Monster Who looks as if he’s wandered in from some bad Shakespearean play.

Only Jenny Laird comes close to the Superfreak though.
User avatar
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security
Posts: 9476
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

ericthehalfabee wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:Leeeee John as Mansell in Enlightenment. It certainly enlightened me he couldn't act for toffee. Or was it just an illusion...
:lol: Gotta be top 5!
Can’t argue with that.
User avatar
Caligari71
 
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:28 am
Contact:

I normally like Prentice Hancock, but he's pretty poor in Planet of Evil. Nobody stands up to Morestran overacting for long! :D
User avatar
The Wooksta!
 
 
Posts: 2465
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: There - but I like it here
Contact:

Robert James as Bruno Taltallian in The Ambassadors of Death is pretty awful - where did he get that accent?

And honourable mentions for Paul Darrow as Paul Darrow in Timelash, Ingrid Pitt and Ian McCulloch in Warriors of the Deep.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
User avatar
jezt42
 
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:37 pm
Contact:

*cough* Matthew Waterhouse.
ericthehalfabee
 
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 pm

jezt42 wrote:*cough* Matthew Waterhouse.
I was wondering whether to include companions, however...

I see your Adric and raise you Melanie Bush.
Guff
 
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:07 am
Contact:

The guard at the gate of Irongrons castle in part 3 of "The Time Warrior" who lets the disguised Doctor and Sarah in
and delivers this line so badly, then follows with painfully forced laughing...

"It is to be hoped the two friars are fleet of foot, or the church will have two new martyrs ere long."

It is horrendous to watch and not surprisingly, the actor's only role. (I think he was called Steve Brunswick.)
User avatar
WildcatMatt
 
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:09 am
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Contact:

ericthehalfabee wrote:
jezt42 wrote:*cough* Matthew Waterhouse.
I was wondering whether to include companions, however...
I see your Adric and raise you Melanie Bush.
On that front, am I the only one who finds Adric far more tolerable in Season 18 than afterward? I've always wondered whether Tom Baker's ego somehow kept Matthew Waterhouse in check or whether Chris Bidmead's script editing simply gave us a tighter version of the character.

I also think Mel became slightly less grating by the end of her tour where Adric went in the other direction. Bonnie Langford also had the misfortune of timing in the show's history. I think Jackie Lane got even more of a raw deal but neither of them were particularly fleshed out.
"The truth is, these are not very bright guys — and things got out of hand."
User avatar
WildcatMatt
 
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:09 am
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Contact:

ericthehalfabee wrote:Worst/most irritating/over-acted/under-acted performances in the Classic era?

Jenny Laird/Neska - "No, I shan't. You shan't take him! Sabor, my husband, my love! Why did you do it? Why? Why?"
The entirety of the village from Metebelis 3 can go on this list, but that may be one of the worst-delivered lines in all of 'Who.
ericthehalfabee wrote:What are your turkeys?
I don't know if this makes it into the top five, but Shirley Cooklin in Tomb is pretty weak.
"The truth is, these are not very bright guys — and things got out of hand."
Miss Cathcart
 
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Contact:

ericthehalfabee wrote:
Miss Cathcart wrote:The standout worst acting performance for me in classic Who has to be Derek Newark's in Inferno - yes, Inferno. Great story, of course, but Newark's contribution is a real fly in the ointment - over-acted, hammy and way too loud. I've always found his acting in other things to be fine but he just had a wobbly in this as if he didn't quite know how to pitch the part of a Lothario in a "kids'" programme.
I’m shocked!!! I love Derek Newark and everything I’ve seen him in!!!

How very dare you!!!!!

:lol:
Well, as I said, he is fine in everything I've seen him in, apart from Inferno.
Post Reply

Return to “CLASSIC SERIES DISCUSSION”

  • Information