Dropping like Flies....

Dropping like Flies....

Postby chap with wings » Mon May 17, 2010 9:40 am

[Merged from the "RIP Ronnie James Dio" thread.]

One of the greatest voices in Rock passed away today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8685851.stm

"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Gary Coleman is dead

Postby Co-Pilot » Fri May 28, 2010 10:08 pm

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/diff-rent-str ... s/41561?nc

The Diff'rent Strokes Curse is real...
Co-Pilot

Re: Gary Coleman is dead

Postby Vermicious Knid » Fri May 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Yeah, like many childstars, he had a pretty rough road of it. As I recall, didn't Dana Plato, his costar die of a suicide or drug overdose several years ago.
Vermicious Knid

R.I.P. Elizabeth Taylor

Postby Kajaboy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Screen icon Elizabeth Taylor died this morning at the age of 79.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12833100
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Re: R.I.P. Elizabeth Taylor

Postby ianj » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Pegged it at 79; mind you, with her ill health, its a great innings! Another old-school Hollywood and Rank Organisation superstar gone. Not many left now.................
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby Mike Nuttall » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Considering her ill health she lived to a good age.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CADILLAC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:42 pm

One of the very last icons of Hollywood and who must be the very last icon of fifties Hollywood.....
CADILLAC

Postby Kamelion » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:44 pm

The two imbeciles on the One Show hailed her as

"Glamorous and beautiful until the end..."

Sorry but I don't think so. She certainly was in her day but a combination of ill health, alcohol and drug addiction and a succession of hideous face lifts soon put paid to any natural radiance.
As ianj has already said, not many Hollywood icons left now....they've nearly all gone, Janye Mansfield, Janet Leigh, Lauren Bacall, Pat Coombs, Peggy Mount, Queenie Watts.......
"..and who knows when it will end..."
Kamelion

Diana Wynne Jones 1934-2011

Postby LizR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:00 am

"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Re: Diana Wynne Jones 1934-2011

Postby LizR » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:28 am

Diana Wynne Jones stands out from the crowd, for her humour, her originality and her touching, clever, rollickingly good stories – she's 10 times the writer JK Rowling or Stephenie Meyer ever will be, and I'm astonished to discover that, until Harry Potter took off and publishers realised how successful children's fantasy could be, many of her books were out of print.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/mar/29/diana-wynne-jones-chrestomanci
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Kajaboy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 am

I'm sad to say that until I read this thread the other day I had no idea who she was. Books are not my strong point but I'm guessing she must have been very talented in her field.

It's a sad fact that rubbish sells while real talent goes unnoticed for the most part.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby LizR » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:33 am

Kajaboy wrote:I'm sad to say that until I read this thread the other day I had no idea who she was.

Me too, until quite recently - and I'd say books are my strong point!

I didn't even know who she was after watching "Howl's Moving Castle" :oops:

It wasn't until someone recommended "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland" that I discovered her.

Kajaboy wrote:It's a sad fact that rubbish sells while real talent goes unnoticed for the most part.

Often the case... it's a salutory lesson to look at a list of the top 10 books from a long time ago, say, 1890 and ask which ones you've heard of - generally none, because the "top 10" has long since been forgotten. Buried somewhere near the bottom of the top 100 might be some you know, say, "The War of the Worlds," "Sherlock Holmes" and "Alice in Wonderland" (or whatever)...

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

R.I.P PETER FALK

Postby CADILLAC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Another legend lost Peter Falk has passed away aged 83.............

Columbo the only detective show I knew who did it.......
CADILLAC

Re: R.I.P PETER FALK

Postby THE DALEK SUPREME » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Sad news.
THE DALEK SUPREME

Re: David Croft 1922-2011

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Very sad indeed. It's amazing how many brilliant shows he was associated with.

My personal favourite has been missed out of the many news tributes. It's You Rang, M'Lord?.

Although essentially a comedy show, You Rang, M'Lord? gave the public the chance to see what great serious actors the likes of Paul Shane and su Pollard etc are. For those who missed this one, it was a light hearted version of Upstairs, Downstairs and each episode ran for 50 min's. Highly under rated in opinion.

Cissy Meldrum may well have been one of the first lesbians seen on prime time TV.
Kajaboy

Postby Deleted User 3183 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:17 pm

What a legacy David Croft leaves us. Quite simply the most consistently superb television comedy this country has ever, and quite possibly will ever, know. We're dooooooooomed!
Deleted User 3183

Postby THE DALEK SUPREME » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 pm

David Croft was a brilliant writer. Sad news.
THE DALEK SUPREME

Postby Mike Nuttall » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:13 pm

David Croft was a brilliant writer responsible for some of my favourite comedy shows over the years, so this is very sad news indeed.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

R.I.P. Betty Driver

Postby Kajaboy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:36 pm

The Coronation Street star has died at the age of 91.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15320895
Kajaboy

Re: R.I.P. Betty Driver

Postby LizR » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 am

Oh dear. Any relation to Minnie?

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Next

Return to IN MEMORIAM