23%

Total votes : 110

Rate "Spyfall Part 1"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 pm

Rate "Spyfall Part 1".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "Spyfall Part 1"

Postby lepter » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Hhhmmmm......a safe 6. Rambled alot and didnt explain anything (along with obligatiory gender dig) but was pleased to have a Male master back. Good cliffhanger.
lepter

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:03 pm

8/10 for me.

My only criticism would be it felt a little overlong and padded but it was very slick. Jodie toned it down considerably and it felt like Dr Who for the first time since the capaldi era. I was a Jodie sceptic last time out but if this is what the season is going to be like I’ll be very pleased.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:04 pm

lepter wrote:Hhhmmmm......a safe 6. Rambled alot and didnt explain anything (along with obligatiory gender dig) but was pleased to have a Male master back. Good cliffhanger.

Yeah, the upgrade line was pointless. But that I can overlook. It was a big improvement.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:05 pm

The 4 people who voted the lowest mark possible, I appreciate your absolute right to your fairly held opinion. I’m genuinely interested as to why you think that. Why not let us know ?
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby Rubbernecking » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 pm

7 or 8. That was much better than last year's. Things actually happening in Doctor Who. The nerve of it! Chris writing slightly competent episode.
Yeah, if the series improves on this episode it's going to be a good one. 3 votes at the lowest? Nowhere lower than 4 or 5 at the most critical.
Rubbernecking

Postby Tuxfordman » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:09 pm

Much much better than last year's navel gazing !
Tuxfordman

Postby L. Scarman » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Bit slow at the start, but really enjoyed the last 15 minutes, so much better than last years efforts
L. Scarman

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Oh lawd, I thought that was basically terrible.

The worst thing is Chinball's writing, particular the lame jokes he puts in to every scene, made all the worse by the director continually pausing for a beat to let we the audience laugh - those lines AREN'T FUNNY.

The Doctor's character is a disaster - pure 'dizzy bint'. Over half a dozen times, the Doctor's reply to 'what's going on' is 'I don't know!', 'I've no idea' ... what is there the enjoy about this character? She's a lame fule.

The bloody 're-writing DNA' nonsense - does EVERY STORY have to involve some magic gibberish about 'DNA'?

The very concept of 'let's do a James Bond pastiche' - er, why? Why would that be a good idea? Is it meant to be funny? What's the actual joke? James Bond has been a pastiche of *itself* since at least On Her Majesty's Secret Service, we don't need Doctor Who to do an unfunny kids TV style pastiche of it. Couldn't all the money spent on location shoots and lighting have been spent on getting a decent scriptwriter?

The most howlingly bad bit for me was the utterly arbitrary 'reveal' that 'O' is in fact The Master.... it seems to be done for no other reason but to bamboozle and fan-squee the audience -
it made no sense - the Master decided to reveal himself at that precise moment because the Doctor spotted a minor continuity error about his sprinting ability?! What if the Doctor hadn't spotted that? Would he not have revealed himself and not planted a cockpit bomb and not tried to kill everyone? If he wanted to kill everyone why did he do it then and not in Australia?!? Arbitrary AF - complete chinballs!

Oh and the title sequence still looks dreadful.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Heccypoo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:30 pm

I just can't watch Jodie Whittaker... She makes my skin crawl when she attempts to act.

Bit of a problem when trying to watch something.

I have the same problem with Keanu Reeves, just makes me cringe. So it's not that I'm sexist against female actors.

Likewise with Tennent & Christopher Eccleston trying to act as The Doctor.

I'll say it again, Matt Smith was the best Nu Who Doctor. Peter Capaldi could have been brilliant if he'd had some good scripts.

Anyone who can sit through Jodie's attempts have my respect. I have to switch off otherwise I might kick the TV in...
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby mr borusa » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:45 pm

Rubbernecking wrote:7 or 8. That was much better than last year's. Things actually happening in Doctor Who. The nerve of it! Chris writing slightly competent episode.
Yeah, if the series improves on this episode it's going to be a good one. 3 votes at the lowest? Nowhere lower than 4 or 5 at the most critical.

Not a bad episode. If Chibbers tones down the PC sh*t then we are in for a good season.
Binro was right.
mr borusa

Postby richt1963 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:53 pm

How come I can’t vote in this poll please? No poll options appear for me.
richt1963

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:10 pm

richt1963 wrote:How come I can’t vote in this poll please? No poll options appear for me.

Hi rich, what do you actually see ? Can you see the poll with the votes against them ?
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby The Ginger Cat » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:14 pm

richt1963 wrote:How come I can’t vote in this poll please? No poll options appear for me.

Dunno what's going on with that but I see according to the Admin's Poll Results Management thingy you've managed to vote, so I take it everything's fine now? :)
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby robbo13 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:54 pm

Heccypoo wrote:I just can't watch Jodie Whittaker... She makes my skin crawl when she attempts to act.

Bit of a problem when trying to watch something.

I gave it a go and had to switch over and watch Flash Gordon again instead. Not that its a great film to watch, give me Buster Crabbes version any day, however Heccypoo sums it up for me as to why I gave up again and voted 0. She is rubbish.
robbo13

Postby pmname » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:21 am

1 for Fry's death(very satisfying) and a reasonable ending.
Whittaker is ghastly, and I detest every second of her company.
Talking of which, the 'fam'(AAARRRRRGGHHH!) couldn't be less engaging if they tried.
Script is poor. Dragged. Bike riding clearly fake.
Preferred 'Resolution' last year.
pmname

Postby whois007 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:22 am

Looks like the money might be best saved than going to a special presentation of it at the local cinemas. Thanks, guys!;)
whois007

Postby greystone_06 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:43 am

Heccypoo wrote:I just can't watch Jodie Whittaker... She makes my skin crawl when she attempts to act.
Anyone who can sit through Jodie's attempts have my respect. I have to switch off otherwise I might kick the TV in...

Just about sums it up for me. Had my fill of New Who. Too embarrassing to watch. I'll stick to Dr Who from now on, and they can stick New Who where the sun don't shine. It's not just New Who either, it's just about everything the PCBBC produce these days. About time they scrapped it. I resent paying the licence fee these days!
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

Postby shuzbot » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:53 am

I quite liked that, it was better than anything from the last series, did they really need to bring the Master back though? First time I have been genuinely intrigued by an episode in ages, not sure it really needed to be a two-parter.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby johnshoo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:47 am

I never expected to start the new decade with a pretty decent episode. I was at a 6 for most of the running time as it was slow but serviceable, but IMO the cliffhanger was honestly one of the better ones since the series returned in 2005. I'd give it a strong 7. The aliens actually felt threatening for most of it as well, which I think was a big thing missing from series 11.
johnshoo

Next

Return to SERIES 12