33%

Total votes : 105

Rate "Orphan 55"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:52 pm

Rate Ep.3 "Orphan 55".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "Orphan 55"

Postby robbo13 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:51 pm

5 minutes of that was enough to make me switch channels. Utter rubbish.
There used to be a time when the annoying character was a bit part or assistant. Now its the main character and two of the assistants. Cant they be killed off?
robbo13

Postby richt1963 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:06 pm

OMG! That was absolutely awful from start to finish. This eras Paradise Towers. Where do I even start. Squirrel Woman. Green haired in betweeners man who clearly can’t play anything other than inbetweeners man. Total ALIENS rip off. Child you just wanted to DIE who of course saved the day. SJW Wide Awake Club message that probably would scare the children to death ‘if’ they're watching the show anymore.

After the last two I thought I could detect improvement but this was worse, far worse than series 11.

Another ratings drop I fear this Monday. 1/10
richt1963

Postby Zarius » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:07 pm

That was a bit of a mess, and a rip-off of Mysterious Planet too.

Was sure the old guy had mutated into one of the Dreggs...since he said they'd have to shoot him if they saw him again, but either that wasn't the case or it was lost in the final edit.

Nice to see the only useful people in the episode were kids and women, the Inbetweener was a useless dad who didn't listen to his son (boomers and zoomers) and Graham couldn't put a bomb together.

And "you won't believe how it ends" claims the BBC America Twitter Page...with Jodie giving us a "Planeteer Alert"

Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lepter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 pm

I gave it a 2 and that was generous.
Better call it LECTURE 55.
That's all that episode was. A long lecture by miss exposition.
Incoherent plot....boring characters.....when the soldier lady said she talked too much...SHE WASNT WRONG!

The climate change stuff was just so forced, I totally switched off in the final monologue....and that roaring dreg was just funny.

Rubbish. I gave it a 2 for the scenery.
lepter

Postby Rubbernecking » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm

It was heartening to see so many holidaymakers as red dots dying offscreen. But the rest was just move along, move along. The "double cross" didn't really work as there just wasn't enough time to be won over or taken in.
I did love the sped up footage of War and Earth being destroyed. Love stuff like that! But oh well.
Rubbernecking

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 pm

Zarius wrote:That was a bit of a mess, and a rip-off of Mysterious Planet too.

Was sure the old guy had mutated into one of the Dreggs...since he said they'd have to shoot him if they saw him again, but either that wasn't the case or it was lost in the final edit.

Nice to see the only useful people in the episode were kids and women, the Inbetweener was a useless dad who didn't listen to his son (boomers and zoomers) and Graham couldn't put a bomb together.

And "you won't believe how it ends" claims the BBC America Twitter Page...with Jodie giving us a "Planeteer Alert"

The inbetweener guy hardly spoke as well.

As for the ending. Damp,squib time.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:32 pm

An uncoordinated mess, but fun all the same. I’d imagine for the kids it would be quite scary. It was nice to see some classic base under siege stuff.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby DSJR » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Someone's been watching the Alien franchise films - a bit too much I think...

As lepter said above, it went all 'preachy' for me too...

I'm on the brink with this show now - I used to look forward to watching it so much in the past...
DSJR

Postby monkey101 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:13 pm

Started well then crumbled.

The Doctor stopping at the end to give a lecture rather than save the two women left behind? Donna would be pissed. This Doctor could have more blood on her hands than The War Doctor.
monkey101

Postby Tuxfordman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:21 pm

Despite the preaching not bad for a base under seige story.
Tuxfordman

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Tuxfordman wrote:Despite the preaching not bad for a base under seige story.

I love a good base under siege story. Last good one I can recall was Waters of Mars.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby Nyder's Genesis » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 pm

I was going to give this a 7. Then I got preached to at the end and it was reduced to a 1. Garbage.
Thankyou. That's what I wanted to know.
Nyder's Genesis

Postby Servorobot » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:16 am

I find it disappointing that a worthwhile message sort of became over preachy at the end.

It sort of annoys the sh*t out me though while half my country burns (some of it continuously since October) and the air quality is so bad that I get asthma every two or three days that there are still people who complain about the reality of the situation. Heavy handed preaching doesn’t help in this situation.

The only “Wide Awake Club” thing is to realise there’s a problem, but you don’t need to tell the children. I think they already know.

Anyway preachy stuff like this doesn’t help, although I’m glad to see the human species can adapt to any situation, although their teeth seem to grow to scare the kids.

Generally a confused mess, with decent looking monsters and Earth destroyed by climate change rather than solar flares or war or moved about and given another name.

Gave it a 5.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Zaph0dd » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:39 am

ild give it a minus 1 if I could, I unfollowed planet mondas on twitter due to its minute by minute fanboy coverage.

please, end it now and either relaunch it afresh with competent cast and crew or let it rest for a few years and redo classics
Zaph0dd

Postby Servorobot » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:49 am

Lordy, I’ve just realised the old woman was played by Julia Foster!

I thought she looked vaguely familiar.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby johnshoo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:39 am

While I appreciate the attempt at incorporating some old school social commentary, I think it would have been better if they tried to make it allegorical and didn't have the planet literally be Earth. The Doctor's speech at the end was a bit cringe.

For the most part though, I thought it was a perfectly watchable "base under siege" story by Nu Who standards. It's the kind of story Doctor Who has told forever, so it's difficult get it too wrong. I'm leaning towards a decent 6.
johnshoo

Postby godzilla54 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 am

I always get a kick reading all of your comments rather than the episode itself! I too felt the same. I thought it started as an interesting story until the very end with the Doctor’s comments. I can’t prove it but got a nasty suspicion that Chibnall took the pen from Ed Hime to insert that little piece in there. Too me it just screams Chibnall.

I gave it a 6.
godzilla54

Postby cloudy day » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 am

The Dregs remind me of the Primords from INFERNO. :)

I voted 7, although if I could I'd bump it down to 6 for the pointless mother-daughter subplot.
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
cloudy day

Postby Blitzer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:45 am

I want to be supportive of the new show, and I have no problem with a female Doctor...BUT Jodie Whitaker isn't right for the part and the stories are confused with poor pacing and pointless premisses. The companions are uninteresting and frequently irritating. The first part of Spyfall had me hoping for better this year. So much for that. This premise has so much potential given today's production tech and plethora of capable storytellers. Just finished binging Lost in Space and The Umbrella Academy. They both make me feel like an idiot for bothering to tune in to nuwho for a sci-fi fix.
If you don't know the story behind the avatar:
http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php? ... 20Headroom
Blitzer

Next

Return to SERIES 12