40%

Total votes : 83

Rate "Praxeus"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Rate Ep.6 "Praxeus".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "Praxeus"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:04 pm

Who's going first then? :lol:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Rubbernecking » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:07 pm

Well... It was handled better than Orphan 55. And the gas mask monsters reminded me of the Boogeyman from Silent Hill Downpour.
But it just gave up having any threat when it was revealed about
Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

Did love the scaly make up. And at least it's shown which episodes this series made more if an effort.

5. Onwards and upwards (again...)
Rubbernecking

Postby Zarius » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:22 pm

At least they had the sense to inquire about The Autons as a potential suspect. 8-)

Preachiness aside, it was a solid story, and the extra companions were balanced well with the regulars. Loved Graham's exchange with Jack on the beach, his facials visibly conveying the loss of Grace when asked how he felt being married to someone extraordinary.

I also liked Jodie admitting to Graham she was a romantic (I 'ship 'em) 8-)
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Nosey Neighbour » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:51 am

Why is it that when this show tries to go global with the story, for all the technology, production and writing talent it just ends up looking even more budget than say The Krotons?

Because when the story’s a self sanctimonious pile of old pooh, the acting more inanimate than the Woodentops and they have finally run out of ideas to try and find something for Ryan to do that makes him seem at least half way credible as a paid actor and companion on a journey of wonder, I sit here picking it to bits and hating what I’m seeing and hearing.

I big up an episode and this series one week, then it stabs me in the back and utterly nose dives the next. That was simply woeful and a wasted chunk of Sunday evening. Thank God for the Super Bowl and Bulleit bourbon.
Nosey Neighbour

Postby DSJR » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:55 am

Judging by the very few comments so far, this really is 'the parting of the ways' for many I reckon... As soon as the preaching started (again) any residue of marks I had evaporated. Total mess to me...
DSJR

Postby Nosey Neighbour » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:20 am

I think the kids and most grown ups have already grasped that micro plastics and a man made climate catastrophe are very bad things, without needing a badly dressed time traveller to remind them of this every second week.
Nosey Neighbour

Postby StellarX » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:12 am

Jesus H. Cock
StellarX

Postby cloudy day » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:44 am

Oooh, the Doctor was wearing a new shirt tonight!

Also, does no one care that
Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

And shouldn't they have taken Gabriela back to Peru at the end?
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
cloudy day

Postby johnshoo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:14 am

With the environmental theme, comparisons with "Orphan 55" are inevitable. I think this came off as less camp and better handled than that previous episode, but also a bit duller and less memorable. Like, you could have told me this episode was filmed during series 11 and I'd have completely believed you. I'm feeling a decent 6.
johnshoo

Postby Servorobot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am

johnshoo wrote:With the environmental theme, comparisons with "Orphan 55" are inevitable. I think this came off as less camp and better handled than that previous episode, but also a bit duller and less memorable. Like, you could have told me this episode was filmed during series 11 and I'd have completely believed you. I'm feeling a decent 6.

Well I haven’t seen the episode yet, but less memorable than Orphan 55???????

I suppose Orphan 55 was memorable only because it was so sh*t.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Miss Cathcart » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:56 am

Well, it seems I'm going to be the odd one out here because I really rather liked this episode. For once they made a real effort to give the companions something each to do and I especially like Yas's willingness to go off and explore on her own while even Ryan showed more independence and versatility than in all his previous episodes. I also felt JW was a lot more Doctor-ish in this one and delivered most of her lines convincingly (I particularly liked the Auton reference), and if she continues in this vein she may just convince me that she's the Doctor.

The episode wasn't perfect, of course, and the environmental message was too similar for comfort to that in Orphan 55 but rather better done, and there were clearly budget constraints in having a human-looking enemy without the need for any makeup or prosthetics. It was also slightly disappointing that the episode had no connection to the story arc covered so well in last week's instalment.

Overall, a 7/10 from me.
Miss Cathcart

Postby Servorobot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:34 am

Well, despite frenetic camera work, jumping around various locations and dramatic music aplenty not much really happened in that episode.

Yaz, in a desperate attempt to have something to do, put her brain in reverse and decided (for no logical reason apart from trying to in-still some drama that didn’t shaking the camera like you were making a cocktail ) to play hero. Sadly her attempts were thwarted and she only got as far as a plastic Davy Jones Locker.

A pile of garbage I’m afraid.

2/10. The beach looked nice (wherever it was, South Africa presumably, certainly not the UK).
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Servorobot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 am

Nosey Neighbour wrote:I think the kids and most grown ups have already grasped that micro plastics and a man made climate catastrophe are very bad things, without needing a badly dressed time traveller to remind them of this every second week.

Well everyone apart from the Murdoch Press that is. :lol:

I liked the purple in her top.

The trousers are still stupid though.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby lordnellie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:09 am

Nice, solid episode.

Decent story that unfolded well. Lots of characters but they all had something to do (apart for the poor forgotten lad on the beach...). Nice save at the end. Yay!!!

Handled everything soooo much better than the execrable 'Orphan 55' did recently.
lordnellie

Postby Cygnus Prime » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:53 am

Highlight of the thing I think was the mortuary table death moment, directed well, with Akinola's music punching home in that moment. It did make me wonder if Akinlo would be more at home scoring a horror movie somewhere else. I always get the sense that - if it were a guitar - he would be idly plucking strings and not really looking at the scene that he is supposed to be scoring a lot of the time, except for the odd moment when he gets his act together. A lot of the rest of the time he just seems to be riffing for his own amusement, rather than highlighting anything on the screen.

Bad acting honours definitely go, imo, to Tosin Cole. How terrifying it must have been for him to get a script where he had to emote, be funny, wry, amusing and ironic, with dry responses. He did his best, but his best was appallingly flat imo and he stands revealed as the weakest link in a lame lineup. Mandip Gill is a step up from him as a performer, but literally only one step and is still, I feel, just an average actress who just says the lines a bit more convincingly than Tosin, but only barely just.

Bradley has a natural quality and I get the sense that he has - as an actor - just decided to chill out and go along with the ride, while being professional and doing the best he can, so isn't remotely nervous or feeling that he has anything to prove. He just says the lines, tries not to bump into the preaching, and goes home.

I thought the guy playing Aramu couldn't decide if he was an actor or not, so I am not sure if he was any good or not really. I think his character was completely unnecessary and a script tweak could have cut him out without anyone noticing.

I think we were all supposed to be in floods of tears during the "flying the shuttle/self-sacrifice" bit at the end - but it was so cliched - seen it all before - and emotionally manipulative that, for me, it was just a case of waiting for them to get it over with. The only surprise was that he survived. (Shame the console was damaged during Earthshock, otherwise Peter could have used that trick to save Adric, of course.) I also thought the actor playing the astronaut was a better actor than the one who got handed the supposedly dramatic almost-death scene.

And the lady supposedly from another world and who was the root of all the trouble just didn't seem remotely extra-terrestrial in manner or demeanour. A common failing with New Who I feel, where even a pregnant alien bloke just looks, acts and sounds like someone you might meet down the pub.

I don't think I am imagining that Jodie's approach to the role has suddenly calmed down/altered somewhat during the course of this season so far. Out have gone the gurning scronch faces and she suddenly seems to be taking it a bit more seriously,. She is almost saying her lines with conviction. I think someone has either had a serious word with her or she has got bored of trying too hard to impersonate Tennant/Smith in the role and is simply just getting on with it a la Bradley and consequently is, ironically. doing slightly better, less self-conscious work.

I still think she is miscast and no way in the same acting league of any of the previous Doctors, but seems to be embarrassing herself a little less on screen now (unthinkingly reeling off the lines and stupid facial expressions etc) than she used to. There's a seriousness to her that wasn't there before. I almost believed that she knew what she was talking about when she said "Autons".

The story itself was the usual "rush-around-ridiculously, meeting far too many people and not getting to know any of them at all to a convincing degree, while being expected to cry over their fates". It really does feel as if a four parter is being compressed into less than 50 minutes. Shallow throwaway nonsense. With a message.

The usual 1 point from me. For that mortuary moment, the usual production values, the usual Bradley - and no scronch noses from Jodie.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Servorobot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:06 pm

Jon Pertwee is part of an acting league! :o
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby johnshoo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Servorobot wrote:
johnshoo wrote:With the environmental theme, comparisons with "Orphan 55" are inevitable. I think this came off as less camp and better handled than that previous episode, but also a bit duller and less memorable. Like, you could have told me this episode was filmed during series 11 and I'd have completely believed you. I'm feeling a decent 6.

Well I haven’t seen the episode yet, but less memorable than Orphan 55???????

I suppose Orphan 55 was memorable only because it was so sh*t.

I still don't understand the hate for Orphan 55. It was a bit of a silly base under siege story, but Who has had much, much, much worse.
johnshoo

Postby lepter » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:57 pm

Not seen it yet but TOTALLY shocked at the sheer lack of posters here. Do people really care so little?
lepter

Postby Cygnus Prime » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Overnight ratings for the episode were 3.97m.

Chibnall/Jodie's lowest figure to date. :?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

See also.....

Series 12 Ratings Thread:

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=7496&start=80

Series 13: Will You Be Watching It?:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7520

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to SERIES 12