Rate "Ascension of the Cybermen” (Part 1)

Rate “Ascension of the Cybermen” (Part 1)

4%
8%
18%
16%
2%
7%
4%
6%
2%
4%
29%

Total votes : 83

Rate "Ascension of the Cybermen” (Part 1)

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:17 pm

Rate Ep.9 "Ascension of the Cybermen" (Part 1).
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "Ascension of the Cybermen” (Part 1)

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Good lord! A half-decent Dr Who episode!

I mean, it was actually quite exciting and dramatic, with a narrative that made sense and the characters not all being complete dicks! And was quite impressive visually!

Shame about the terrible Oirish accents - one of them even sounded Welsh.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Rubbernecking » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Blockbuster effort. Biggest threat Cybermen have been in ages. The cutaways to Ireland are bizarre and even if everything doesn't land next week, better set up for the finale as this hasn't explained everything by the cliffhanger.
So there you go. This one "wasn't good", it was "no really", this was good!".
Went ten.
Rubbernecking

Postby DSJR » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:57 pm

The production team really pushed the boat out on this one I reckon. Too many fragnents so far to feel much for the story...
DSJR

Postby Shaving Foamasi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:00 pm

As soon as the baby appeared in Ireland, I immediately thought of the old gag Bob Baker & Dave Martin used to do about Gallifrey being in Ireland.

Liked it a lot. 8
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
Shaving Foamasi

Postby Zarius » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:48 pm

The action was good from the outset, The Doctor losing a lot more, thought the pacing slowed to a crawl afterwards, which hurt the main plot.

I loved the bits with Brendan, a real Ashes to Ashes series three vibe to that, if this is The Doctor's origin done in the style of Gene Hunt, it explains the police box shape of the TARDIS, he was a police officer.

Good Earthshock vibes too.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lepter » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:09 pm

Well...this is setting a worrying trend. 2 good episodes in a row. It proves they can make decent stories, shame it took them 19 episodes to find their feet. I like the new cyber helmet design. Very invasion inspired.

Of course it will probably be all undone in the finale.

I bet Brendan is a prehartnel doctor.

A safe 8.
lepter

Postby shuzbot » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:39 pm

Not too bad, think I'll reserve judgment beyond that till the next, where they will probably f*ck it all up. Still not feeling the timeless child thing
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby johnshoo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:32 am

I thought that was quite enjoyable, although I'm not sure if the episode was great in itself or if it just felt great in contrast to most of the past two series. The only thing is that it needs to stick the landing, which is something Doctor Who has had a lot of trouble with.

I'm feeling a strong 7 to a light 8.
johnshoo

Postby professor_who » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:09 am

quite brilliant, anyone who rated without watching needs to watch it and see if you feel differently.

not perfect though. pacing a little off but some great moments, and if they just stopped backlighting everything and got rid of the vaseline on the lens it would make it that little bit better. three good episodes in a row. To stick the landing is ALWAYS the hardest part though.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/professorwho[/youtube]

http://andysworldjourneys.com/

Twitter: @ProfessorWho_
professor_who

Postby professor_who » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:13 am

Zarius wrote:The action was good from the outset, The Doctor losing a lot more, thought the pacing slowed to a crawl afterwards, which hurt the main plot.

I loved the bits with Brendan, a real Ashes to Ashes series three vibe to that, if this is The Doctor's origin done in the style of Gene Hunt, it explains the police box shape of the TARDIS, he was a police officer.

Good Earthshock vibes too.

well. I hadnt considered that a possibility I figured it was the Lone Cyberman or the 'Timeless Child' - who certainly might have been the Doctor. I wonder if the Timeless Children could actually therefore mean all the different Doctors.

the preview for the Timeless Children predictably keeps cards close to chest, I am still expecting the Cybermen to turn out to be the Cassavan. How much will it link to the first couple of episodes of the series? And if Jack doesnt appear in the finale its really going to make the brief appearance in episode 5 pointless.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/professorwho[/youtube]

http://andysworldjourneys.com/

Twitter: @ProfessorWho_
professor_who

Postby darnall42 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:03 am

A 5/10 from me , wasnt a fan of the brendan thing going on ,the stupisd cyberheads were lame and having the master come back was totally ruined by the beebs Barack estrem twitter rubbish (the idea might have worked in the early 80s in the radio times listings ,but this is 2020 ! )
darnall42

Postby Miss Cathcart » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:29 am

A huge improvement on last week and one of the few Series 12 episodes that make me want to watch it again. The first 20 minutes were great and the rest was pretty good too, though not much actually happened to take the narrative forward. There was next to no explanation of the questions raised earlier in the season, e.g. about the black female Doctor and the Timeless Child, but at least we have next week to find out.

I thought Jodie was really rather good in this one, especially in the first half, which shows she can make a half-decent Doctor if she's given the right dialogue; the silly jokey lines do nothing for her but here she was serious and focused.

The episode looked visually good and they'd clearly kept the budget for the end of the season. Also loved the new Cybermen design - very old school, with clear shades of The Invasion incarnation. Looking forward to next week.
Miss Cathcart

Postby Servorobot » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:37 am

Hmm,

What’s the Irish Brendan thing all about then?

If all else fails at least Chibs has given us something to talk about.

Loved the Invasion style Cybermen and I guess it is moving us towards some conclusion. Zip mention of the Timeless Child (maybe it's Brendan, who knows).

Too many questions, but at least I’m interested in next week.

Light years ahead of anything last season.

The Cyber heads were ok, if a little odd and Sacha Dharwan was good in his brief appearance.

7/10.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:25 pm

johnshoo wrote:I thought that was quite enjoyable, although I'm not sure if the episode was great in itself or if it just felt great in contrast to most of the past two series. .

yeah, it's difficult to be objective on that score :)
But the fact is, most of us dutifully HAVE sat through nearly two full seasons of Jodie and co, and been groaning at the state of them... so the very fact of seeing these same actors & characters running around in a noticeably better story is an enjoyable relief in itself
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Cygnus Prime » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Can't really pull together a proper review, so just some random thoughts.

It never occurred to me that Brendan might be the Doctor until I read Zarius' post above, but if he is it does at least explain one of the Classic shows greatest mysteries: when the Doctor said in BLACK ORCHID (which this reminded me of setting wise) that he had always wanted to drive a train as a boy. Unless Gallifrey had it's own "Marble Arch/Marb Station" (these things have been known to happen) this has always been an unfathomable mystery - until perhaps now. :lol:

Jodie was actually put under pressure as the Doctor and showed panic and desperation in the role. But it was still imo, just an actor emoting by the actor's rulebook. This was no clever casting choice. Just an average actress being a bit more challenged in the role than usual and doing an okay job. Never was there a moment where I thought: "Oh I see! Now I understand why she landed the role!" (She may have "aced it" in her endless months of audition, but I still don't see her - or any of the regulars - acing it on screen).

Talking of which, I did notice that Ryan seemed to - almost insultingly - be given less and less dialogue as the episode went on. He just seemed to be pulled along on the journey while a lot of what should have been Ryan's dialogue went to the younger lad's character. I thought Tosin just looked genuinely fed up in the background in a lot of those scenes too. It may also explain his grumpy video post of a while back? Just speculation but I can't help wondering if they have realised his limitations as an actor and that this is a prelude to pushing him out of the show? It actually reminded me of when they stopped giving non-actor Kenny anything to do in THE TOMORROW PEOPLE. :?

Talking of performances of the COMPANIONS (Not fam or friends here. What's wrong with "companions"?), I thought Bradley was extremely engaging in his scenes and Mandip worked well too alongside him.

I thought I detected a love story/departure developing between Bradley and the other lady (Rafia the name off the top of my head). So then I wondered if Bradley was leaving too. Could they be clearing the Graham/Ryan decks?

I thought there were some nice visual flourishes in the episode, such as the POV of Brendan falling off the cliff and - as already mentioned - there were some nice EARTHSHOCK-y call-backs, with the rows of containers containing Cybermen. I thought that they would smash their way out of them or that someone would say "You could hide an army down here!" :lol:

Having said all that, I don't think that this will land well. I think next week's show will be a combination of a huge damp squib and fan outrage as the core foundation of the myth of DOCTOR WHO is turned unnecessarily on it's head (probably several times over in the space of one episode). Unless Chibnall has turned into a genius (or truly clever showrunner) overnight - and I have never seen any signs of him being one; at least in the choices he makes.

Am giving it a 3 - while waiting with genuine dread for the last - and no doubt extremely stupid - episode.

(The NEXT TIME trailer annoyed me, with a gleeful Master and his "Brace yourself!", "Now it's time to show you!"

Mehh! Stop gloating and just get on with killing a 57 year old show already! :death: )
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby date542 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Was...OK...simply OK--compared to what we have had over this series it was brilliant...

JW has improved since last season--however she remains totally wrong for the part--she was given a couple of grandstand speeches in this and last week--the ` hauling to the summit` one that should have defined her Doctor--but no--has no presence or gravitas...

previous Nu Who Drs have equally been served with poor material however were able to rise above it because they were better actors. We are now in a situation were we have lousy scripts, lousy dialogue and lousy mediocre actors in the lead parts...

JW only in the role because of past working relationship with Chnball--who probably felt..yep--turns up on time..doesnt rock the boat..learns the lines and is cheap

..liked the Cybermen--cross between Nu Who and Invasion models..

...scenes in rural Ireland were intriguing but left the viewers I was watching with bemused---was Brendan a past Dr--a hybrid Time Lord..or something else?..the show had better answer this next week..surely if it is meant to be the Doctor then wouldnt he be the village doctor--the Doctor never struck me as one for law and order--

..will have to watch again as got confused over the Barrier/Veil plot and how the other characters fitted in with it--guessing its a gateway to a haven where rest of humanity escaped and the old Merlin guy (who could be Brendan!) stood guard..
date542

Postby paulhickling » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Yes I need to watch it again (good sign) to give a real view. But as it stands, it was a cracker. And that despite a rubbish Doctor, and two planks for companions. From the scenes of the Cyberships to the cliffhanger it was one to not look away from.

Silliest bit for me were those Cyberheads. Just when Who is looking great, there has to be something in there that makes it look a bit cringey-kids telly.

Wonder why Chibs (or someone) decided the RTD models were the Cybermen of choice when backing the partially converted feller. Which reminds me, they have the Cyber version of Davros here don't they? Someone partially human to handle most of the dialogue but monster-y enough to be one of the gang..
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ratkat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:16 pm

This is the first episode I watched this series, mainly after coming across a lot of positivity for it online after having lost interest (and not really being a fan of New Who because I'm one of those irritating people stuck with my childhood version being tampered with) . Funnily enough, the first minute reminded me of Claws of Axos, but instead of Axon debris, it was a baby, at which point it felt like Superman.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of montages and the like, so the Brendan thing irritated me at the beginning, but got far better once he grew up. As to the rest, I really enjoyed it and was actually excited and worried for the characters for the first time ever in new Who....I mean seriously, if this could be the template for the show, I would be full on board! Why? Because it has a nice, menacing, serious tone, not full of cheesy one-liners.

The first Cyberman assault, destroying the Doctor's defence plan within moments, was a nice change from the Doctor's ideas working immediately, or even temporarily then failing....just bang, doesn't work at all after the buildup, creating real fear and menace with the Doctor not being in control of the situation at all...Worried Jodie-Doctor works much better for me than goofball-Jodie-Doctor. I also liked how quickly the survivors were thrown into the mix and all of them were actually good characters with good acting (not even one of the obligatory-irritating ones!) - despite having no buildup, I immediately felt connected and concerned. OK, the cyber-drones were a bit cheesy, but were also kind of frightening - I imagined they were scrapped from "dead" Cybermen- at least they recycle. One thing I never liked about the new show was its fast-pacing compared to the slow-burn classic series, but this episode proves me completely wrong. It just has to be done right, which for me, it never has done before until now.

As to the companions, I find Graham as the only one with a personality, and unfortunately his got a bit irritating as this episode went on due to the bragging. I did find it amusing he got so wound-up being called "strange".

The ending, well, unfortunately it had been slightly spoiled for me already due to the Facebook feed, so I don't know if that influenced my lack of excitement at The Master turning up. Not familiar with this version and I like his kind of perplexed, crazy look. All in all, I am really keen to see the next one, a first in the new series! I suppose seeing that it finally happened 12 series in, could be a good sign lol..... I read a lot of positive comments about this episode before seeing it, and I agree with them, so I really hope they can steer the show more towards this direction, though I expect that's wishing thinking. One of the early Capaldi's made me feel that way, then it went back to the silliness .....

Signed, the grumpy old man who was impressed with new WHO finallY! Let's hope the conclusion doesn't disappoint. Sorry for the ranty review ;-)
ratkat

Postby cloudy day » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:08 pm

I think I missed something, or else I'm kind of dense. Y'all are saying Brendan might be the Doctor, here I was thinking his story would pertain to Ashad somehow.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Master next week. I like Sacha Dhawan so much in the role!
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
cloudy day

Next

Return to SERIES 12