18%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 11

Re: Rewatch Black Orchid

Postby rapscallion » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:22 pm

ant-mac wrote:And does that also mean the Doctor got one of his "child" companions killed in the very next serial?

Well yes, I guess it does. And considering that 'child' companion's name is the last word that this Doctor -arguably the most sensitive of the originals- utters before he regenerates, I guess it's fair to assume that the guilt hangs heavy. Albeit very subtly. Not in a sledgehammer 21st century Who type-way.
rapscallion

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby ant-mac » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:42 pm

rapscallion wrote:
ant-mac wrote:And does that also mean the Doctor got one of his "child" companions killed in the very next serial?

Well yes, I guess it does. And considering that 'child' companion's name is the last word that this Doctor -arguably the most sensitive of the originals- utters before he regenerates, I guess it's fair to assume that the guilt hangs heavy. Albeit very subtly. Not in a sledgehammer 21st century Who type-way.

An excellent observation... and one I agree with.

Also another reason why Classic is superior to New... in my opinion.

In Classic, those rare moments felt earned, whereas in New, they just feel forced, with a blaring soundtrack accompaniment that obliterates all other aspects of the scene.
ant-mac
ant-mac

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:09 pm

rapscallion wrote:
Bowtiesarecool wrote:This is the first time I have seen this story. I enjoyed it a lot. :)

As a massive Season 19 fan, I find it really cool that you've said that :)

Thanks.

That had me hooked and there was plenty of surprises. Maybe we can re-watch more Davison stories in future. I'm not as into his era as I am the others.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby TheWatcher » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:43 pm

Black Orchid's great. Often unfairly slept on, I may say. :doc5:
'Image ''Turn around, bright eyes.''
TheWatcher

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:50 pm

Just got to say that I loved the cricket match. No loud music or special effects, just The Doctor playing cricket and earning his outfit.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby Heccypoo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:09 am

This is one of my all time favourite Doctor Who stories, nice to see others enjoying it.. :D
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby ant-mac » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:12 am

Bowtiesarecool wrote:Just got to say that I loved the cricket match. No loud music or special effects, just The Doctor playing cricket and earning his outfit.

It's a shame he didn't get to do that at least once per season.

It need not have been a major part of the serial, just a brief cameo or call back to his self-professed passion.

PS - Another follower of the future ruler of the planet Earth...? ;)
ant-mac
ant-mac

Postby Servorobot » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:59 am

Bowtiesarecool wrote:
rapscallion wrote:
Bowtiesarecool wrote:This is the first time I have seen this story. I enjoyed it a lot. :)

Thanks.

That had me hooked and there was plenty of surprises. Maybe we can re-watch more Davison stories in future. I'm not as into his era as I am the others.

I think this is early what this whole rewatch thing is all about, particularly for our UK members.

Here in Australia Doctor Who was repeated often, so much so if we were rewatching Day of the Daleks I probably wouldn’t need to watch it again and could recall the whole story from memory.

But I’m aware in the UK that these stories were probably only shown once and that a lot of people may only have watched them once and like this story it’s like finding a hidden gem.

Elsewhere is dealing with the New Series, but I really don’t think that’s the Mondas way and whilst we’re all cooped up we might as well enjoy some Classic Who (and in my case also rewatch Blake’s 7). :D
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby LizR » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:52 am

Well, that was a game of two halves. I've never seen it before (neither has bowties, I see, so the thread title is slightly wrong :) ) but it didn't really endear me any more to the Davison era. The first half was almost completely taken up with dancing and cricket, apart from the odd murder, with things kicking off in part two - but then wrapped up in short order. I don't think it should have been longer (my exact thought was, "Gawd, I hope this really is only two episodes!") but in any case it seemed highly derivative, a period drama with a disfigured relation kept in the attic, who seems inhuman, sets fire to the place and falls to their death from the roof - all of which may have been quite fresh when Charlotte Bronte used them in "Jane Eyre", but seemed a little jaded here, as does that old device of two characters being identical (also a staple of Gothic fiction from the late 18th-early 19th centuries, incidentally).

I also found the acting rather flat all round, and as has been mentioned recently, having so many companions doesn't work, especially not when they're this lot. Adric contributes nothing except a gargantuan appetite, being stopped from leaping to the rescue by Lord whatsit (pulled back before he'd actually made a move to help, as far as I could tell, but never mind) ... and apart from a bit of screaming, fainting and dancing the other two are equally useless. And the other characters aren't up to much either, a bunch of Bertie Woosters without a valet or formidable aunt to take charge in times of stress.

Or, indeed, the Doctor. Getting trapped in a secret passage, berating himself for being stupid, failing to take charge of the situation - when Lady Whatsit frames him for murder, he just comes out with something like "it wasn't me, honest!" - and then he tops it all by nearly getting Nyssa killed (which by this point admittedly didn't seem such a bad idea). Having pondered what the baddie and multiple murderer might do if he found out that the woman he's snatched up isn't the one he thinks, he then confronts said baddie, who is dangling Nyssa above a long drop - and reveals said fact.

Throw in him using the TARDIS as a get out of jail free card, something I assume he normally avoids because some convenient accident puts it out of reach or he doesn't want to disrupt history, or whatever - and pulling what's really going on out of thin air with more psychic ability than Inspector Barnaby often manages, and the only time he real shines is while playing cricket.

So, not exactly awful - after all it is basically the BBC doing a costume drama with a bit of Who thrown in - but both the writing and the Doctor seem limp and tired. Can't give it an awfully topping score, old chap, maybe 4/10.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby ant-mac » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:41 am

Servorobot wrote:
Bowtiesarecool wrote:
rapscallion wrote:

Thanks.

I think this is early what this whole rewatch thing is all about, particularly for our UK members.

Here in Australia Doctor Who was repeated often, so much so if we were rewatching Day of the Daleks I probably wouldn’t need to watch it again and could recall the whole story from memory.

But I’m aware in the UK that these stories were probably only shown once and that a lot of people may only have watched them once and like this story it’s like finding a hidden gem.

Elsewhere is dealing with the New Series, but I really don’t think that’s the Mondas way and whilst we’re all cooped up we might as well enjoy some Classic Who (and in my case also rewatch Blake’s 7). :D

Monday to Thursday, 1830 hours, ABC, after THE GOODIES. ;)
ant-mac
ant-mac

Postby rapscallion » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:14 am

Like Ant-Mac says, Black Orchid is just a lightweight filler between the two grand Eric Saward stories.

I think this was one of the first stories that I ever recorded onto video from TV thanks to the repeat of this, Kinda and The Visitation in the summer of 1983, like Starquake mentions. I remember watching it over and over and over. Then because video cassettes were so expensive and I was limited to 2 of them I recorded over it to make way for Warriors Of The Deep in January 1984. People don't think about it now, our DVDs are so readily available to put on and watch at the click of a finger, but after that repeat on the BBC I didn't see Black Orchid again until I bought a pirate copy in 1991.

Anyway, I digress. I like a lot of the little things in Black Orchid, such as Cranleigh's admission at being hopeless at geography when he questions where Adric is from "Never could remember those funny Baltic bits." The choosing of the costumes, Adric's preference of food over dancing, Michael Cochrane's posh one-liners. It's just all good fun, with some murder thrown in. And I know that the scene with the police officers in the TARDIS in part 2 is a bit....but Cummings' succinct outburst of "Strike me pink!" has always made me laugh.

Charming little story.
rapscallion

Postby Servorobot » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:19 pm

ant-mac wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
Bowtiesarecool wrote:
rapscallion wrote:

Thanks.

We must be of a similar vintage. :)
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:29 pm

ant-mac wrote:PS - Another follower of the future ruler of the planet Earth...? ;)

Hail Doomcock!

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby paulhickling » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:01 pm

Always loved Black Orchid. Nicely sedate paced mystery. It does indeed justify the Davo outfit, and the stuff with the companions helps to make them real. And I have to say the stuff with Sarah Sutton and the 'baddie' struck me at the time as quite adult.

Two things I DIDN'T like was.... The Doctor actually trying to explain himself being a time traveler. That was very UNREAL. There was a time when Hartnell or Troughton would have found a better way like being simple travelers of some sort.

"Strike me pink!". Ok, it is funny except it ain't. The writing should have found a better way of having the joke without it being stupid, because he should've fainted or something. I DID like it when Tegan said "you're in for a surprise"...

But all this apart it was great.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:37 pm

Heccypoo wrote:I love Season 19 and it's hard to be objective on this for me.

One of the main reasons I enjoy this little two parter, is that there is no, apart from The Doctor and The TARDIS, sci fi elements in it.

Also, The Doctor sticks around to attend the funeral at the end. I nice little humanising touch ..

I love it... :doc5:

Watched this earlier in the afternoon. It’s never classic who but it is great fun. There is so much to enjoy in it. Worcestershire Talbot’s :D :D :D :D

Doctor who meets Agatha Christie. It’s such a good story. It works so well, it is often underrated due to being sandwiched between two decent stories.

I love the cricket scenes. Davison was (May still be) a real cricket buff. The shot where he clean bowls the chap was excellent.

There’s a good cast in this too. Barbara Murray, moray Watson, redvers fenn Cooper.

The dvd restoration is very good.

Strike me pink !
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby LizR » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:51 pm

Martin_Kinsella wrote:The dvd restoration is very good.

Damn I only had what was obviously a video recording put into digital format, which didn't help.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby ant-mac » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:15 am

Servorobot wrote:
ant-mac wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
Bowtiesarecool wrote:
rapscallion wrote:

Thanks.

We must be of a similar vintage. :)

1968, Warracknabeal, Victoria.
ant-mac
ant-mac

Postby ant-mac » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:24 am

Bowtiesarecool wrote:
ant-mac wrote:PS - Another follower of the future ruler of the planet Earth...? ;)

Hail Doomcock!

All hail Lord Doomcock! :lol:
ant-mac
ant-mac

Postby ant-mac » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:26 am

LizR wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:The dvd restoration is very good.

Damn I only had what was obviously a video recording put into digital format, which didn't help.

If you don't have the DVD, there's a pretty decent version available on the video-sharing website, Dailymotion.
ant-mac
ant-mac

Postby Black Orchid » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:37 pm

Black Orchid

PreviousNext

Return to THE REWATCH FORUM