25%
No votes
25%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 4
The Wooksta!

shuzbot wrote:
The Wooksta! wrote:As Shuzbot says, it's perhaps an episode or two too long. But editing it down would be a pity.
Yeah, I can't see how they would without sacrificing something. Besides, as you say it wasn't meant to be watched all in one go. Did they transmit it once a week when the strikes weren't cocking it up?

It was just one episode a week, like Who, IIRC it was on TV either tuesday or thursday because I remember talking about it at school the following day.

As for the strike - it was one long one. Months of no ITV.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

A few drunken musings...

Re: Steel.

Maybe I'm wrong or just being a bit dim, but I always thought the characters of the "elements" were meant to act and behave and kind of live up to their names. In Steel's case, cold and hard etc. Explains his brusque manner towards the kids and others in general.

With Tully and his fate, didn't the "'hauntings"' only start up 2 months previously when he began to investigate the railway station, maybe he disturbed or awakened or attracted the darkness in some way (perhaps there was already resentment in him), as well as running off and leaving Sapphire and Steel in the sh*t. That and the fact he had no-one waiting for him at home except his one eyed cat Nelson, made it easier for Steel to sacrifice him. He was destined to die at 57 anyway.

Had to laugh at Steel in Assignment 3 (which I've just finished btw) floating up the idea to Rothwyn and Eldred that it would save a lot of trouble if they killed themselves like the other groups.

Rothwyn was alright but by gum was Eldred a drip. Dunno wot she saw in him. And that man-baby gave me the sh*ts.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

The Ginger Cat wrote:A few drunken musings...

Re: Steel.

Maybe I'm wrong or just being a bit dim, but I always thought the characters of the "elements" were meant to act and behave and kind of live up to their names. In Steel's case, cold and hard etc. Explains his brusque manner towards the kids and others in general.
I reckon you are right. I think David MacCallum and the writers over sell it in the first couple cos it is a new character. They just want everyone to know he can be a bit of a dick, and the occasionally show a softer side. Saying that, doesn't he do a little skip after selling Tulley down the river?

I do like 4 where he makes a comment about the landlord trying to impress the ladies and Sapphire says "at least he bothered to impress them" the looks they exchange are priceless.

As you can tell, my insomnia has kicked, so I will probably get on with 3 now.
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

The Ginger Cat wrote:A few drunken musings...

.... that man-baby gave me the sh*ts.
:lol: now there's a sentence I never thought I would see
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

I never saw Sapphire and Steel as a teen as it was never shown on terrestrial TV here in Australia.

It made its first appearance on cable TV around the early 2000’s (which was I first saw most of these episodes).

In a strange bit of irony even though it was never shown on TV here we were the first country to release it on DVD.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

I have assignments 5 and 6 on an Ausy DVD. It's sh*t cos you have to play the eps individually and the menu looks a bit basic.
ant-mac

shuzbot wrote:I have assignments 5 and 6 on an Ausy DVD. It's sh*t cos you have to play the eps individually and the menu looks a bit basic.
Yeah, that pretty much sums us Aussies up. :lol:
ant-mac
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Finished number 3, it doesn't have the atmosphere or ideas of the others. I think the final EPs is probably the weakest, but the introduction of David Collins as Steel saves it a bit. I was always abit disappointed they never brought lead back.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

They say yes quite a bit don't they.
The Wooksta!

Just finished The Railway Station - I was only going to do three episodes but it was cracking along and I kept with it. That jangly incidental music, very Don Harper.

It's lived up to my expectations and I'm looking forward to Assignment 4.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Well, I have the lockdown blues, so started sipping rum and coke, and now I'm watching number 4.

f*ck me, it's good. Can't help wondering why it's only Sapphire that sees the faceless creep differently, was the budget really that tight? :lol:

The lost and found set is reminding me off Kinvig, though. Music for this one's alright, not as good as the train station one.

This feels like reel Sapphire and Steel in a way 3 just didn't.
The Wooksta!

One of Hammond's episodes for Torchwood - IIRC it's "Out of the Rain" - is quite reminiscent of this.

TBH, Hammond's two episodes were the least worst episodes - I can't say best because Torchwood was a fantastic opportunity to do a British X-Files yet Russell T Davies and Chris Chibnal consistently dropped the ball and ruined it by writing it down to such a juvenile level. And lets not forget the irony that Chibnal was live on the BBC accusing Pip and Jane Baker of ruining Doctor who back in 1987. And look at it now... Isn't that a bit like Harold Shipman telling Fred West that he shouldn't have done all them murders?

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

You know, I have a boxed set of Torchwood but have only seen two or three eps, two were Chibnall's, the country one and the dreaded Cyberwoman balls up.
The Wooksta!

I think the first PJ Hammond one is in the first series, something to do with faeries - episode 5, I think. Gareth Thomas is in episode 3, then it's the vile Cyberwoman nonsense. It's the one after that. Out of the Rain was in series 2, after Owen had died and been brought back to be a zombie. TBH, I'd gave up on Torchwood after The Talfryn Chainsaw Massacre and just dipped in and out catching the odd episode.

Just breezed through Assignment 4. It's as good as I remember but it's nowhere near as chilling as The Railway Station. Yes, Sapphire fails twice and there are deaths but it feels just that bit too easy for them.

The music isn't bad, Alison Spiro needs to tone her performance down a bit but the Shape almost pitch perfect and the creepy children are just that and very effective. Set design is pretty good too, very Rising Damp, so much so I was half expecting Rigsby or Don Warrington to walk out of one room.

Still, it felt short, too easy but by the same token it dragged a bit, if that makes any sense? 2 was long and could have done with editing down a tad but it never felt padded, stretched. This one felt like a three parter stretched to four.

Still, I'm enjoying this, so tomorrow, Dr. McDee must Die!

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

I like assignment 4 because it's ideas driven like the photos that act as a tunnel system for the shape, but it also has atmosphere. The second is definitely more atmospheric and has more striking imagery. Still trying to get pack up your troubles in your old kit bag out of my head as well.

I know this is gonna sound silly, but I wish they had used an additional colour on the interior sets of the train one just for a bit of contrast. But anything with a smaller cast is gonna be more atmospheric.

The fifth feels flat in many ways, but Sapphire and Steel actually get to attend a dinner party instead of just looking like they are going to one. They should have had Silver in the fifth one.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Yep, that's Assignment 4 done for me too. This one's more like it after the somewhat sterile 3, don't think it's quite on a par with 2 though. Slightly less creepy and not quite as atmospheric. Spose it's a pretty obvious thing to say really, but it seemed a short but sweet type story. No fat here.

A couple of moments that gave me the willies - the Shape (with the old man face) burning the photograph at the top of the stairs and funnily enough, that bit at the end where Steel warns the girl to "Find every photograph of you that there is. Burn them. Never have another taken."

A minor classic.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Halfway through Assignment 3.

Sapphire looks nifty in her snazzy blue jammys.

Steel seems a bit annoyed at Silver’s questioning about Sapphire.

David Collings is good as always.

The flying pillows would look poor in a 70’s Doctor Who.

Eldred is as interesting as watching paint dry and really must live!

Rothwyn runs the gamut of emotions, often in the same sentence. Hers is an interesting performance to say the least, but at she’s not dull.

The baby/changeling thing is a bit weird. Not sure if turning glass into sand really is that good a party trick (makes getting shitfaced difficult).

Anyway, nowhere near as good as 2, but still not bad.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

shuzbot wrote:I have assignments 5 and 6 on an Ausy DVD. It's sh*t cos you have to play the eps individually and the menu looks a bit basic.
I got my boxset from Oz years ago. Might be the same lot.

Really like the series. No real bad un. Came round to it after it finished, as while it was on I was in my going out phase as a young adult, not interested in telly. But it looked crap to me then. And that title sequence!! It really looks like a kids show.

Now I think it's a classic. Could watch it anytime. Great for atmosphere. Always thought Classic Who should go for atmosphere when the money ran out instead of going for sh*t attempts at spectacle like Time Flight.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Servorobot wrote:
The flying pillows would look poor in a 70’s Doctor Who.
The growling twitching cushions made me laugh
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Just finished half of assignment 5. The weird organ music doesn't work well does it?

It's odd watching Sapphire and Steel take a back seat for most of it while snooping into people cheating on their lovers. The writer just didn't get what this was supposed to be about.

Doesn't really get going till about half way through ep3. Will come back to it later. Just keep thinking how another episode down is another nearer the final and far superior assignment.

Return to “THE REWATCH FORUM”

• Information