25%
No votes
25%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 4

Re: Sapphire and Steel (Rewatch)

Postby The Wooksta! » Mon May 04, 2020 9:43 pm

"Dr McDee must Die!" was written by Anthony Read and Don Houghton, the latter on paper, with his genre credentials (Who, Ace of Wands), having him writing for Sapphire & Steel should have produced a winner, but whilst it's good, it's not quite right.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham..."

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Wooksta!

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Servorobot » Tue May 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Finished Assignment 3.

I agree about the general coldness of the story and the revelation of the source of the time unit is suitably horrific.

The creature is really awful but there’s this strange science in the last episode where Silver asks Rothwyn for her necklace and then helps her get the necklace off.

The scene comes across as almost erotic. I don’t know what everyone else thought but Rothwyn seems to have enjoyed it a bit too much, perhaps belying the sterile life of the future.

It’s about Silver in many ways as Steel’s jealousy over Sapphire is pretty obvious.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby shuzbot » Tue May 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Servorobot wrote:The creature is really awful but there’s this strange science in the last episode where Silver asks Rothwyn for her necklace and then helps her get the necklace off.

The scene comes across as almost erotic. I don’t know what everyone else thought but Rothwyn seems to have enjoyed it a bit too much, perhaps belying the sterile life of the future.

It’s about Silver in many ways as Steel’s jealousy over Sapphire is pretty obvious.

I remember that but so many things are od in the show that it didn't really stand out except when it cuts to a shot of Silver still watching her through the door and you can see his reaction to what she is saying.

Assignment 5 is packed full of moments like that like when they just appear in a room and then walk over and accuse somebody of a gun and that gets a reaction? I am gonna finish watching that later and then let others catch up.

After assignment 6 I will set up a thread for Quatermass 2 and then... join the existing threads or start one for the B7 rewatching?
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Wooksta! » Tue May 05, 2020 2:19 pm

I'd set up separate threads as everything would get lost otherwise.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

The Wooksta!

Postby The Ginger Cat » Wed May 06, 2020 1:15 am

Finished Assignment 5. Odd one this, bit all over the place - either that or my mind kept wandering off. Really wanted to like this one, the idea of a whodunnit with time (?) being the enemy behind it was a good 'un I thought. But it kinda felt like a watered down Sapphire and Steel , tame. Had to remind myself at times that I wasn't watching an episode of Cluedo, Whodunnit? or something. Got a bit tedious going. The music didn't help, seemed inappropriate, intrusive.

Still, it was better than 3 though.

Found it interesting and somewhat amusing when Sapphire bestowed some telepathic powers to Felix (?) and called him Brass. :D
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby shuzbot » Wed May 06, 2020 10:44 pm

f*ck it, I am watching 6 now. The first ep is all set up,. I like the way in the second they start getting a bit wary of Silver cos he got there first.

As Wooksta and GC have said, assignment 5 had a good writer and the idea on paper should have been great. I think there were too many characters, and it wasn't as atmospherically lit as it should have been but that's dinner parties for you.

Going back to what you said, Servo, there's a bit where the man starts giving Sapphire a bit of attention and Silver seems to get jealous. :lol:

It's very film noir this one. Has anyone seen Dark City?
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 pm

In the first one they mention being on the Marie Celeste, but we only ever see them in contemporary setting. I think they missed a bit of a trick there. This is as about as close as we get to another time period
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Thu May 07, 2020 12:13 am

f*ck it, that was amazing, although the rum probably helped. Steel acting as a white knight for the woman was a bit of a turn around from his actions with Tulley, weren't it?
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu May 07, 2020 10:26 pm

Well that's Assignment 6 done and dusted then. Very moody, downbeat one this. The music was definitely more of a help than a hindrance this time. Edward de Souza was good and menacing as one of the Transients - really liked the idea behind those. Thought for a split second Silver was gonna throw his lot in with them and give 'em the time box.

Yeah, 'twas a good 'un. Still think 2 was the best though.

Based on this rewatch I'd rate them thusly: 2, 4, 6, 1, 5 and 3.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Wooksta! » Thu May 07, 2020 10:50 pm

I'd go with that.

2 episodes into Dr McDee must Die and it's dragging. Several characters are really irritating - McDee's grandson especially although I've never liked the actor - and it could do with a good pruning. It's too bright and overlit, quite flat although there are some flashes and some of the characters are really engaging, especially Lord Mulrine and his sister, Emma.

As it's set in 1930, where's Poirot?

A quick flip through the potted guide with my Network doovde says that whilst fandom may perceive 5 as being a weaker installment, it's difference is a good thing and in any case, it's better than 3. Even PJ Hammond said he though that 3 was one of his weaker ones. Although he said that 2 was a bit too long and 6 episodes would have been better. Personally, I'd say 7 episodes is the slimmest you could cut that down to.

The Wooksta!

Postby The Wooksta! » Fri May 08, 2020 2:18 am

Couldn't resist and went back to it. Started to warm up halfway through episode 3. Emma is delightfully batty and in hindsight you can see she's the trigger/vessel for Time.

On reflection, it's not really that weak. The plotting fairly solid, the idea is sound enough, it's just in comparison to other stories it's not as dark or atmospheric. The dreadful music certainly doesn't help, although the period stuff is fine and there's a welcome reuse of some of the Don Harper-esque jangly guitar from The Railway Station. There's some quite creepy bits, especially where Sapphire tries to kill first herself and then Steel, although I had a sneaky feeling he'd already unloaded the gun (and spotted a continuity error*).

The butler, Grevell, continued to irritate - he felt like a comedy character from Jeeves and Wooster - so it was a welcome relief to meet the father in episode 6. I really liked Felix' wife Annabelle. Pity she got killed off in a rather silly way.

As for Brass - apparently PJ Hammond rather liked that idea.

And so, it's the last one tomorrow, but that doesn't have the warm nostalgia glow from the colour ATV logo but the newer Central one (although that brings happy memories to in the shape of Geordie brickies). Every time I see the Under Armour logo I automatically think of ATV. Really want a t-shirt with that logo.

*Revolvers are six shot - cue Dirty Harry - and Parnell had already been shot,but Steel placed six live bullets on the table. In addition, I could have sworn I'd seen a couple of bullet casings in an ashtray earlier.

The Wooksta!

Postby shuzbot » Fri May 08, 2020 10:44 am

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Fri May 08, 2020 10:52 am

not sure if you can see it there, but that wallpaper is the kind of thing you would expect to see in a kid's bedroom :lol:

F1 cars and bikes
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Fri May 08, 2020 10:54 am

Also, that shadow in the corner, not sure what they are trying to suggest but it looks like an effect. Seems a bit pointless as most people would miss it
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Servorobot » Fri May 08, 2020 12:26 pm

Halfway through 4.

This one has a shabby, eerie feeling to it.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby The Wooksta! » Fri May 08, 2020 7:27 pm

Basically, it's a creepy scary Rising Damp.

The Wooksta!

Postby Servorobot » Sat May 09, 2020 2:49 am

I find the concept of “The Shape” being present in all photographs an inspired one.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby shuzbot » Sat May 09, 2020 7:09 am

I went back and watched that bit with Silver and the necklace in ep 6 of the third assignment, Servo.

It was the bit that came after that that made me laugh. They reveal that the people in the other capsules took their won lives and Steel says "would you have done the same thing? You can always do it now, y'know. Save us a lot of trouble" So he basically said they should go and kill themselves. :lol: I think that contrast of Silver being very charming versus Steel is what they were going for. Surely Steel's most brusque bit?
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Servorobot » Sat May 09, 2020 11:43 am

shuzbot wrote:I went back and watched that bit with Silver and the necklace in ep 6 of the third assignment, Servo.

It was the bit that came after that that made me laugh. They reveal that the people in the other capsules took their won lives and Steel says "would you have done the same thing? You can always do it now, y'know. Save us a lot of trouble" So he basically said they should go and kill themselves. :lol: I think that contrast of Silver being very charming versus Steel is what they were going for. Surely Steel's most brusque bit?

It’s the fact after it she enters the room licking her lips.

Interesting touch I thought. Almost coquettish. Perhaps it is as you say the contrast between charm and insensitive, although given how much of a wet blanket Eldred is it’s kind of cruel, but understandable.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Servorobot » Sat May 09, 2020 11:45 am

Finished 4.

The ending to episode 3 is truly horrific and proves once again that this is not a children’s show.

Excellent stuff, probably my second favourite.

On to 3.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

PreviousNext

Return to THE REWATCH FORUM