No votes
Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
No votes
The Quatermass Memoirs (1996)
No votes
The Quatermass Experiment (2005)
No votes

Total votes : 6

Re: Quatermass Rewatch (starting 11/05/20)

Postby The Wooksta! » Sat May 16, 2020 9:29 pm

Well, just watched episode 6 and unfortunately, their ambition is thwarted by the budget. The spacesuits are as bad as those in the first one and the less said about the surface of the asteroid the better. Compared with equally low budget 60s Who, Vortis is more convincing. But the script still shines through and the fear and paranoia ramp up further.

Nice to see Cyril Shaps in an early role. As Quatermass is supposedly in the same universe as Who, perhaps this was Doctor Lennox early in his career? The Rocket Group base the early site for the Space Centre in Ambassadors?
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham..."

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Wooksta!

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun May 17, 2020 3:43 am

Finished off Quatermass II. Considering it's an old bit of b&w telly think it holds up pretty well. Something about it that's really engrossing and fires the imagination. Didn't take to the chap playing Quatermass at first but he grew on me by the end. Found the last episode the weakest. That said, the thought/image of Pugh slowly spinning off into space has kinda stuck in me old noggin.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Wooksta! » Sun May 17, 2020 11:02 am

I'll be watching the film version tonight, which IIRC is a pretty decent adaptation that strips out a lot of the padding and especially the journey into space. We still get the angry mob, but again without pitchforks.

There was something I'd forgotten that I spotted in episode 3 and 4. I'd always wondered how Quatermass had got the alien boobytrap, and then I spotted him taking it from Ward's body.

Note: it wasn't Micheal Craze as the child in episode 3, but Melvynn Hayes.

Somewhere, I have the books for the BBC versions. They were originally released I think in the 1950s by Penguin, the one shown upthread is a reprint from 1980 with a nice new cover and some photos from the story in the middle. Given that eps 3-4 weren't telerecorded, Experiment is the best one to have, but all three BBC ones are worth having anyway.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

The Wooksta!

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 17, 2020 11:27 am

Some of the books The Wooksta! mentions.... :)

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage

Kneal said that the novelisation of the John Mills serial was the best way to experience that one as he felt that the four part tv version was "too long" and the truncated movie version a.k.a. "The Quatermass Conclusion" was "too short".
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 17, 2020 11:49 am

Jumping ahead somewhat, but so that it'll be here for when people get to it, here's the full radio thing: THE QUATERMASS MEMOIRS, starring Andrew Kier.

THE QUATERMASS MEMOIRS (1996):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quatermass_Memoirs

The Quatermass Memoirs is a British radio drama-documentary, originally broadcast in 5 episodes on BBC Radio 3 in March 1996. Written by Nigel Kneale, it was born out of his Quatermass series of films and television serials, which had first been broadcast in the 1950s. The idea for the show appeared as BBC radio intended to create a season of programming looking back at the 1950s, and it was the final piece of writing Kneale completed relating to the character.

The show is centered on the character of Professor Bernard Quatermass who, albeit older than in the previous series, is "the same very concerned scientist" but worried about his previous decisions. Andrew Keir, who had played Quatermass in the 1967 film Quatermass and the Pit, was chosen to voice the character. Later, Nigel Kneale himself became dismissive of the serial, but critics gave the production relatively positive reviews.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 17, 2020 1:13 pm

De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 pm

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Stuttgart request audition prints of the two-part omnibus of Quatermass and the Pit. The original six-part serial cost £2560 per episode.

Silver Nemesis had £4750 per episode.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 17, 2020 1:19 pm

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 17, 2020 1:39 pm

Sorry guys, I just can't agree on John Robinson, but I do feel he fits the tone better than Brian Donlevy. Donlevy looks and sounds like a detective or a police man. He doesn't particularly dress like a scientist. Andrew Keir, John Stuart Mill and André Morell were great, but Morell was perhaps a bit too affected.

Anyway, finished both versions of Q2. I like them both but the TV series has more charm, although as noted the effects in the last episode are mostly diabolical. :lol:
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Somebody has gathered all the existing production stills for the original serial. They look great
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 17, 2020 2:02 pm

https://twitter.com/johncoulthart/statu ... 7137881088

Judith Kerr and Nigel Kneale, with Judith sporting the kitchen gloves that terrified a nation in 1953. The BBC's effects people claimed that creating a monster for The Quatermass Experiment was beyond them so Kerr & Kneale had to do it themselves.

They had a Martian as well. Tempted to say every home should have one.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Cygnus Prime wrote:Jumping ahead somewhat, but so that it'll be here for when people get to it]

Is anybody gonna watch the Pit? A few people have already said the will skip the fourth one
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 17, 2020 6:18 pm

shuzbot wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote:Jumping ahead somewhat, but so that it'll be here for when people get to it]

Is anybody gonna watch the Pit? A few people have already said the will skip the fourth one

Am gonna watch the Pit.

The fourth is my favourite.

There, I said it. :lol:
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 17, 2020 6:56 pm

That other sci-fi series that starred John Robinson.....

R3 (1964):

https://televisionheaven.co.uk/reviews/r3

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173591/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

The adventures of the staff of Research Centre Number Three (R3), headed by director Sir Michael Gerrard, and its trouble-shooting department the Consultancy Service, run by Philip Boult. They dealt with all manner of scientific ideas and issues, including drugs, new technology, space flight, and undersea exploration.

A SciFi drama serial set in Research Centre Number Three (R3), overseen by Director Sir Michael Gerrard, where scientists strive to create & perfect new technology & medicine. The second series switched its attention to the centre's troubleshooting department, the Consultancy Service, headed by Philip Boult & his right-hand man Dr Richard Franklin.

Sadly every episode wiped.

26 x 50 minutes.

And no, had never even heard of it until now.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby The Wooksta! » Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Just watched the film adaptation of QII. If the original feels like The Web Planet, this feels like Nu Who in comparison. Donlevy is better here than in the first one, but that's not saying much. All of the plot beats are there, plus a lot of the characters are still the same and we lose some of the more unnecessary ones. McCloud is still the same actor though.

Unlike the slow paranoia of the original, this one's a lot faster, slicker. Much of the feel is the same, the design for some of it is the same - even some of the tracking shots during the inspection of the plant are the same.

It's better than I remembered it - last time I watched was over a decade ago - and even the rampaging Slythers at the end were better that I thought they were. And Sid James was as reliable as ever.

I'll start The Pit tomorrow - the barman in the community centre in the film is the sergeant in the BBC version of the film - but as I don't have 4, I won't be watching it.

The Wooksta!

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon May 18, 2020 12:16 am

Might be of interest...

https://twitter.com/TalkingPicsTV/statu ... 7314839557

Then again, it might not...
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Servorobot » Mon May 18, 2020 4:11 am

Yep, I’m watching the Pit.

It’s my favourite and it’s awesome.

Got to finish Sapphire and Steel first though.

It’s hard to keep up at the moment.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby shuzbot » Mon May 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Go on, Servo! One more assignment and you are done. On the homestretch now!

I am watching the hammer version of the Pit

Casting isn't as good, Julian Glover is slightly more subtle but I like escapism and broad characters. A lot of context is lost by setting it in the sixties. But it is slicker, I have grown to appreciate the charms of the TV versions.

I will watch the fourth, but don't know if I will comment on it.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Wooksta! » Mon May 18, 2020 10:20 pm

Did you spot a young Gareth Thomas* yet? And note who the drill operator is.

Just finished the first episode of The Pit. Much better than I remembered it, not as slow and the restoration work has helped immensely as the film inserts look fabulous, especially the set where the capsule is being dug up. Very impressive.

Morell works straightaway as Quatermass, probably the definitive version. If Cartier could have got him for II, it would have helped enormously. Lots of other bit part actors from II are there too, especially McCloud. Don't like Breen at all. I know the character isn't meant to be sympathetic, but he seems to be played so far as a cliched military blowhard. Julian Glover was a lot better in the film with much the same material.

All round, it's a more impressive and ambitious production than QII, and the experience and technical advances are showing through. Looking forward to the rest.

*Mention of Blake brings me to this - when are we starting the Blake's 7 rewatch? Is it the lot or selected episodes as we feel like?

The Wooksta!

PreviousNext

Return to THE REWATCH FORUM