SAYING GOODBYE TO DISAPPOINTMENT: Your Last Word on New Who?

General Doctor Who discussion hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

SAYING GOODBYE TO DISAPPOINTMENT: Your Last Word on New Who?

Postby Cygnus Prime » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:39 am

So - as a CLASSIC WHO fan - you have washed your hands of New Who and refuse to acknowledge it as an authentic continuation of the Classic Show (which you still love - and will always continue to enjoy).

But how would you sum up your relationship with that curious beast that began in 2005?

The highs?
The lows?
The moment when disillusionment set in? (What things triggered it?)

And what finally killed it for you as any kind of worthy show to follow the 1963-89 version?

Perhaps have your (final?) word on New Who here?

Before you close the book on it forever?

What, for you personally, went wrong with this show that seemed to promise so much back then?
:?

Related Thread:

Has New Who SPOILED Watching the Classic Era for You?:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7612

See also....

Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: SAYING GOODBYE TO DISAPPOINTMENT: Your Last Word on New

Postby iank » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:30 am

It was a slow drip, drip of discontentment that gradually turned into a flood. It seems generally acknowledged that New Who was at its "best" in its first or six seasons, and then all downhill from there, but even that period is, especially with series 2 and 4 and the "specials" pretty unappealing in many ways. I was not a Tennant fan when he was there, and can barely tolerate even watching him now. I liked Smithy and Karen, and it's a shame they have to be surrounded by such utter w**k and couldn't have been the Doctor and companion in a real continuation of classic instead of this farcical parody.
From series 7 it was all downhill and I did initially stop watching for a couple of years toward the end of series 8, with the "Missy" reveal being as obvious as a brick to the face as to where this crap was going. I came back for series 10, which was sort of okayish at the time, though hasn't aged well already, and then with the ludicrous casting announcement coupled with the revisionist history attack on the First Doctor that was me done.
Hearing about the recent canon-destroying BS has only made me more glad I pulled the plug when I did. I can't see me watching the Davies or Capaldi era again, and it will probably be a long while before I can even bring myself to watch any Smithy.
This show has been a part of my DNA since I was 11, and it's truly horrible to see it utterly wrecked beyond all repair by the utterly repulsive, hate-fuelled and spiteful individuals that seem to have hijacked the whole of the entertainment industry these days.
Never in a million years would have thought it would or could become this big of a joke.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby DSJR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:19 am

This oldie goes back to the very first Dalek story and with decent scripting and unfolding of the stories, I like the slower paced classic series, which kind-of grew up with the viewer, who were teens and young adults by the 70's and maybe with kids by the late 80's with a growing collection of video's to entertain them with.

I tended to find Tennant a gurning loon which saddened me as he played 'Galanar' in the Dalek Empire audio's so well. Maybe he was trying too hard I don't know.

Many here seem to love Matt Smith and his portrayal, but to me he was twenty years too young and 'bouncy.' Had he got the role in his forties or later, I reckon he'd have been perfect and maybe he can return to it with maturity later on and show his full potential.

I feel so sorry for Peter Capaldi though. he did his best I think but the odds and my patience were against him and the show by then. This current lot have finished me really, as Jodie isn't right at all with no gravitas still.

Currently re-watching The War Games. Pat wasn't a physically large man at all, yet could still dominate a scene in various ways with a wide but subtle skill-set totally lacking in today's wham-bam-shoot-em-up 'TV actor' style storylines and somehow, all the extras used had a part to play and were believable to me.

Thing is, this damned show is in my very essence since being six years old going on seven and I can't give it up completely. I'll watch the last gasp Dalek story this Christmas/New Year and mourn the fact the bast actor in it is going (Bradley Walsh, who's consistently acted the others off the screen - and I hope Tosin can rise to the occasion in subsequent work away from 'Who with better stories and direction, but time will tell on that one). As for Jodie, I didn't think she was very good before and I don't think she should be at all proud of her time as The Doctor really, because unlike Peter Capaldi especially, she can't seem to lift her acting range to get over bad scripting.
DSJR

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:06 pm

I enjoyed my time watching it, but New Who ended in 2017 after four Doctors worthy of the title. There were some ups and downs. The Eccleston era was too short, the Tennant era was too cheesy in some places, the Ponds made the Smith era and it wasn't the same after they left and the Capaldi era was a disjointed mess but I wouldn't have missed them for the world.

Peter Capaldi is the last proper Doctor, there are no Doctor's before William Hartnell, the Doctor is a Time Lord and comes from Gallifrey and Missy is The Rani. 8-)
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby paulhickling » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:12 pm

Bowtiesarecool wrote:I enjoyed my time watching it, but New Who ended in 2017 after four Doctors worthy of the title. There were some ups and downs. The Eccleston era was too short, the Tennant era was too cheesy in some places, the Ponds made the Smith era and it wasn't the same after they left and the Capaldi era was a disjointed mess but I wouldn't have missed them for the world.

Peter Capaldi is the last proper Doctor, there are no Doctor's before William Hartnell, the Doctor is a Time Lord and comes from Gallifrey and Missy is The Rani. 8-)

Couldn't have put it better myself so I won't bother. Not quite as keen on Amy as you but other than that exactly my thoughts.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Servorobot » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:19 pm

Give it to someone who isn’t a fanboy.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:04 pm

The burping bin in ROSE was the first ping of doubt in my hope-filled head.

It was downhill from there.

I just wish it had been a complete reboot now, with Eccleston as a brand new first Doctor - and the old show never drawn on/disrespected.

I do think that the retcons have become so ridiculous, overblown and unfeasible now that the Classic show just can't support the weight of this idiotic continuation.

So while the makers of New Who continue to take themselves and the nonsense that they are producing seriously I am not sure if fans should anymore? :lol:
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby LizR » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:28 pm

Servorobot wrote:Give it to someone who isn’t a fanboy.

"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Postby Sid Rat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:21 pm

Style over substance. Frenetic. Massively overblown yet pathetically shallow storytelling. Often unintelligible dialogue frequently drowned out by overloud 'incidental' music. Too much prominence given to companions and their ''special destinies'. Lacked the charm of the original. The series' core steadily eroded until only the most superficial elements remained.

There were occasional stories that transcended the above, but sadly they were few and far between.

Ultimately disatisfying on so many levels.
Sid Rat

Postby darnall42 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:25 pm

I first started as a kid watching the series during the last pertwee series and i've been not only watching but reading the targets (and DWM to just before whittaker took over) but this current series has killed any enthusiasam for the show. After the dire Timeless Children i was contemplating going to CEX with all my who dvds and blu rays to get rid. i'm deffinetly out of this series now ,even if chibnall and whittaker go we will still have a woke BBC Drama department run by peirs wenger who thinks nothing of ruining dickens and H.G Wells so they fit in with the BBC "editorially" so there will be no chance of any change
darnall42

Postby DSJR » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Sid Rat wrote:Style over substance. Often unintelligible dialogue frequently drowned out by overloud 'incidental' music.

I bet there's a good reason why the larger old 80's and 90's BBC-designed monitor loudspeakers they used to balance the sound we hear, recessed the vocal range and boomed up the bass a bit - to make sound balance engineers boost the vocals to make them heard more clearly over the background din. The speakers they listen to the soundtracks on now obviously don't do this, or they project the voices too much so the sound balance people overcompensate, ending up with the muffled mess we're subjected to on TV and often radio as well - and no, it's not my sodding ears this time either as my wife complains and her hearing is like most ladies hearing - a damned sight more sensitive and disciminating than ours!
DSJR

Postby Cygnus Prime » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:48 pm

New Who never managed a scene as genuinely poignant as this imo.

And no need of Murray Gold music to hammer any emotional points home either.....

(And definitely no speeches from Pertwee about the "curse/loneliness of a Time Lord" etc. etc. blah blah.)

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Yartek » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Cygnus Prime wrote:New Who never managed a scene as genuinely poignant as this imo.

And no need of Murray Gold music to hammer any emotional points home either.....

(And definitely no speeches from Pertwee about the "curse/loneliness of a Time Lord" etc. etc. blah blah.)

OMG, that and Hartnell's farewell to Susan make me well up every time!
Yartek

Postby Yartek » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:50 pm

LizR wrote:
Servorobot wrote:Give it to someone who isn’t a fanboy.

ImageImage
Yartek

Postby telegoon » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:08 am

There was so much about the DNA of the show that I loved, which connected so closely to me. Some of these elements can be found (at times) in the new series.

However, the old show had consistently wonderful confrontation scenes, peppered with dialogue that was as colourful and imaginative as the stories and characters themselves. The Evil of The Daleks survives as a great audio for these reasons - a story I never had the chance to watch, but is full of character tension, imaginative and original storytelling and wonderful dialogue and performances. Why could the show manage this in the 60s and not today? Passing the show off as tired and old is not an excuse. I can't understand why the BBC would spend so much on the show and hire writers who are so inexperienced in sci-fi and so happy to re-purpose the show. :evil:
telegoon

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:37 pm

Yartek wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote:New Who never managed a scene as genuinely poignant as this imo.

This is the other one that always gets me.

(Following on from an earlier scene where the Doctor feels FEAR in the crystal cave and the Queen Spider's gloating about that fact, which also gives me goose pimples every time.)

No music in this final scene for Pertwee.

No exploding Mount Vesuvius Doctor stood up, arms flung wide.

Just good acting.

Made even sadder, I think, by the fact that nobody in the scene is still with us, sadly. :(

I don't think New Who ever hit home quite like this.

Just endless disappointment - and treacly, overdone emotion.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Yartek » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Cygnus Prime wrote:
Yartek wrote:

This is the other one that always gets me.

(Following on from an earlier scene where the Doctor feels FEAR in the crystal cave and the Queen Spider's gloating about that fact, which also gives me goose pimples every time.)

No music in this final scene for Pertwee.

No exploding Mount Vesuvius Doctor stood up, arms flung wide.

Just good acting.

Made even sadder, I think, by the fact that nobody in the scene is still with us, sadly. :(

I don't think New Who ever hit home quite like this.

Just endless disappointment - and treacly, overdone emotion.

And then you follow it up with my favourite regeneration scene! This is pitched perfectly. Lis Sladen is absolutely brilliant in this, gong from sadness to exhilaration then confusion and bewilderment. Wonderful.

And following on from a couple of lines earlier in the adventure touching on the Tardis being a sentient entity, "I got lost in the Vortex, The Tardis brought me home". Brilliant.

Then we see the Doctor 'die' before his resurrection with some magical 'push' from Cho-Je. Poetic. (The whole concept of The Watcher in Logopolis was fantastic too!)

The regenerations in Nu Who have been utterly crud in tone and execution and the sheer number of them and the use of 'regeneration energy' as a weapon, cure all, coffee additive have made what was once something special into something far less magical.
Yartek

Return to GENERAL DOCTOR WHO DISCUSSION