Classic Who vs. NuWho

General Doctor Who discussion hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Classic Who vs. NuWho

Postby bige » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:39 am

Continuing a very popular topic from the old forum.

Which of the series do you prefer??? For me, without a doubt, Classic Series.
bige

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Classic Who vs. NuWho

Postby LizR » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 am

Yes, me too.

Of course you could do a poll...
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby tony ingram » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:27 am

The classic series, without a doubt. I can re-watch most of it any number of times and still be entertained. About 75% of the new stuff, I've had trouble sitting through once. When it's good, it's often very good, but when it isn't it's just not worth watching. With the older stuff, even those stories which are below par are still enjoyable in their own way.

Well, except Sylvester's first season...
tony ingram

Postby HornOrSilk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:10 am

I prefer New New Who in New New New York.

Ok. As to which I prefer? The good stories. Whatever version of Who.
HornOrSilk

Postby mican » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:54 pm

bige wrote:Which of the series do you prefer???

Yes.
mican

Postby image45 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:27 pm

bige wrote:Continuing a very popular topic from the old forum.

Which of the series do you prefer??? For me, without a doubt, Classic Series.

Gosh I new there was a reason I liked you :mrgreen: , yes its Classic Series for me. I can go out and record new series episodes, I never did that when Classic Series was on, even in the early 1990's when we got the BBC2 repeats.
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby renegade » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:58 pm

I prefer Classic Who (and of that I prefer Classic Classic Who, 1963 to 1977 :P ).

NuWho compresses everything down too much, some people complain about padding in the Classic Series but I like the padding, I like a pointless few minutes spent with the third Doctor telling Jo some tall tale about a previous unseen adventure, for example. I like the Doctor having to spend the first ten minutes of the first episode of a story trying to work out where and when he has landed. I like it being 25 minutes into the story before the monster is revealed and the Doctor discovers what he's up against, just in time for the end music of episode one.

Classic Who was a puzzle for the Doctor to solve, where and when he is, who the villain is, who can he trust, how can he defeat the villain, how can he get to where he needs to be to defeat them, etc.

In nuWho the Doctor knows exactly where and when he's landed, has an encyclopaedic knowledge of all planets and aliens, can land the TARDIS precisely where he wants it, and as the solution never seems to be a problem for him there isn't much interest in how he's going to defeat the villain.

Generalizations, I know, and there are plenty of exceptions in both Classic and nuWho, but I do think it's a valid description of a difference between them in most cases.
renegade

Postby LizR » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:34 am

renegade wrote:I prefer Classic Who (and of that I prefer Classic Classic Who, 1963 to 1977 :P )

Absotively posilutely! :D
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:37 am

renegade wrote:Classic Who was a puzzle for the Doctor to solve, where and when he is, who the villain is, who can he trust, how can he defeat the villain, how can he get to where he needs to be to defeat them, etc.

In nuWho the Doctor knows exactly where and when he's landed, has an encyclopaedic knowledge of all planets and aliens, can land the TARDIS precisely where he wants it, and as the solution never seems to be a problem for him there isn't much interest in how he's going to defeat the villain.

In other words, old Who was (often) a well-told, well-constructed, well-characterised story, with all the setbacks and discoveries and blind alleys and "aha!" moments that make up a good story.

And new-Who (often) isn't.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby bige » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:47 am

renegade wrote:Classic Who was a puzzle for the Doctor to solve, where and when he is, who the villain is, who can he trust, how can he defeat the villain, how can he get to where he needs to be to defeat them, etc.

I agree with you exactly. Example, in "Earthshock", the Doctor saved the Earth, but at the cost of over 15, 000 Cybermen being successfully launched into space for war, the extinction of almost all pre-historic life and the Death of one of his companions, Adric (NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: ).

In "The Parting of the Ways", just about everyone who dies comes back to life, the entire Dalek race is disntigrated and the Doctor snogs Rose before he regenerates. :x
bige

Postby ianj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Original series for me, though I do like the new series, I feel the stories are merging all into one now.ianj
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby LizR » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:23 am

ianj wrote:Original series for me, though I do like the new series, I feel the stories are merging all into one now.ianj

Well, the end of season finales and specials have certainly blurred together for me....almost as though they were all written by the same insufficiently imaginative person...

But hopefully that is about to change.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby image45 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 pm

Well, the end of season finales and specials have certainly blurred together for me....almost as though they were all written by the same insufficiently imaginative person...

Yes I agree, the future offers some hope I feel.
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby Jano » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Definitely Classic Series for me. I do like the New Stuff but it doesn't even come close.
Jano

Postby mican » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:19 pm

image45 wrote:

Yes I agree, the future offers some hope I feel.

Faith manages. Oh ... wait ... wrong show ... sorry .....
mican

Postby toxicspurge » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:48 am

I still think it's apples and oranges. I've never fallen asleep during the New Who eps and I've definitely fallen asleep during some of the Classic stories.
toxicspurge

Postby LizR » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:46 am

toxicspurge wrote:I've never fallen asleep during the New Who eps

You can thank Murray Gold for that.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby mican » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:40 am

toxicspurge wrote:I still think it's apples and oranges. I've never fallen asleep during the New Who eps and I've definitely fallen asleep during some of the Classic stories.

Come to think of it ... yes, I did fall asleep during a classic series story once. The Mutants, in the wee morning hours at a convention in Chicago back in the mid-'80s.
mican

Postby LizR » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:50 am

mican wrote:
toxicspurge wrote:I still think it's apples and oranges. I've never fallen asleep during the New Who eps and I've definitely fallen asleep during some of the Classic stories.

Come to think of it ... yes, I did fall asleep during a classic series story once. The Mutants, in the wee morning hours at a convention in Chicago back in the mid-'80s.

I've never fallen asleep while watching "Doctor Who" (unless it was back when I was too young to appreciate it). I have occasionally caught myself looking at the time and wondering how much longer it's going to drag on for - but only, as far as I can recall, during "The Ambassadors of Death", "Voyage of the Damned" and "Planet of the Dead".

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby toxicspurge » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:05 pm

I fell asleep watching The Web Planet once, but it was an Nth generation version and the picture quailty was horrendous. I very much enjoy the current DVD released version.
toxicspurge

Next

Return to GENERAL DOCTOR WHO DISCUSSION