If and When Did DOCTOR WHO "End" For You?

General Doctor Who discussion hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Doctor Who Ended For Me.......

When Hartnell left
1%
When Troughton left
1%
When Pertwee left
No votes
When Tom Baker left
6%
When Davison left
7%
When Colin Baker left
4%
When Sylvester/the Classic run ended
17%
When the McGann Movie failed
4%
When Eccleston left
1%
When Tennant left
5%
When Matt Smith left
5%
When Capaldi left
31%
When Whittaker leaves
No votes
When New Who ends. However many remaining Doctors or series that might be.
1%
Never. The character is timeless/will always be around in one way or the other. And I will be there too!
18%

Total votes : 102

If and When Did DOCTOR WHO "End" For You?

Postby Cygnus Prime » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:16 am

Are you still a supportive fan?

Or did Doctor Who "end" for you long ago - or even more recently?

If so, when did it end?

And why did it end? :?

What constitutes "your" Doctor Who?

.... and would you ever reconsider the stance you have taken at any point in the future?
Or is your decision set in stone?
:Cyberman:

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: If & When Did DOCTOR WHO "End" For You?

Postby LizR » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:03 am

You missed "When Douglas Adams came on board". :twisted:

I'm kind of torn between "after Tom" - or indeed, mid-Tom, so to speak - and "never". It depends how you look at it.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Re: If and When Did DOCTOR WHO "End" For You?

Postby iank » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:14 am

Doctor Who ended with Survival.

New Who has never been the same animal.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby shuzbot » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:17 am

It ended with Survival, although I have never been a fan of that story. The TVM was horrendous. I would include it if I was feeling generous but only because McCoy is in it.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby LizR » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:25 am

iank wrote:Doctor Who ended with Survival.

New Who has never been the same animal.

Survival of the fittest?
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Servorobot » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:00 am

When Michael Grade (boo, hiss, bast*rd!) put it on hiatus and they recorded that bloody awful song!

And here it is to remind you that not even Chibnall could be this bad.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Cygnus Prime » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:21 am

It took a long time rejecting absolutely everything that followed (including BBV, Reeltime, the unmade Dark Dimension, the McGann movie, books, audios, the Shalka Doctor and that tiny 2005 revival) but, for me now, it's absolutely when Sylvester and Sophie walked off into the sunset under that quaint speech.

And it saves a lot of cash too! :lol:

Just wish I hadn't wasted a load of dosh and (now cleared shelf-space) on all the above before reaching that conclusion. Unread (and often unfathomable) Virgin/BBC novels in plastic bags. A big, shelf-filling box set of a square Tardis containing Eccleston's season on dvd. Gahh! What was I thinking!? :?
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:56 pm

For me, New Who ended when Capaldi left.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby StarQuake » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:16 pm

For me "Good Who" ended when Davison left; the Colin Baker era was still Who for me, but it was "Bad Who"; teenage me hated the casting of Sylvester McCoy, and thought his first season was the absolute nadir of Who; his second season was interesting, but I felt they'd overcompensated for 7's perceived wimpiness by rewriting the Doctor's history to make him mysterious and godlike, so even when the stories were decent it wasn't really Doctor Who anymore.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby iank » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Cygnus Prime wrote:It took a long time rejecting absolutely everything that followed (including BBV, Reeltime, the unmade Dark Dimension, the McGann movie, books, audios, the Shalka Doctor and that tiny 2005 revival) but, for me now, it's absolutely when Sylvester and Sophie walked off into the sunset under that quaint speech.

Just wish I hadn't wasted a load of dosh and (now cleared shelf-space) on all the above before reaching that conclusion. Unread (and often unfathomable) Virgin/BBC novels in plastic bags. A big, shelf-filling box set of a square Tardis containing Eccleston's season on dvd. Gahh! What was I thinking!? :?

Sums it up for #MeToo. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

iank

Postby DSJR » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:00 pm

Many high spots in NuWho, but for me, it was Sylv's exit as shown above. When she show returned, I was older and preferred some of the more adult scripts in the Big Finish audios - and the Eighth Doctor stories I've heard have been very good indeed on audio I think. I've almost wept watching the current Jodie 'Doctor' but I'll still try to watch it in the hope that..........
DSJR

Postby Zarius » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Doctor Who doesn't die, it just diverges.

Classic Who is it's own universe to me, Unearthly through to Survival, I count some of the Big Finish (largely the season 27 ones and the Ace and Hex stuff) and most recently the series 26 blu-ray trailer because it ends with the tantalising premise of an older Ace and Seven having more adventures together, but I ignore everything that has Ace and The Doctor on opposite ends for the long term or part on bitter terms.

Nu Who is it's own universe, and event that has two divergent realities for me now...the first universe ends with Husbands of River Song, and the Jodie universe begins with "The Pilot", same Doctor (Capaldi) but different timeline.

This allows me to be selective and still enjoy the traits and twists of Jodie's era without associating it with what I was raised on and cherished as a child.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Servorobot » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:57 am

iank wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote:It took a long time rejecting absolutely everything that followed (including BBV, Reeltime, the unmade Dark Dimension, the McGann movie, books, audios, the Shalka Doctor and that tiny 2005 revival) but, for me now, it's absolutely when Sylvester and Sophie walked off into the sunset under that quaint speech.

Sums it up for #MeToo. :D

Nice of you to show your support for woman subjected to harassment from corporate scumbags.

Good play on words and showing your support. ;)
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby iank » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:20 am

You know me, socially conscious and all that. :D

iank

Postby spectrox » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:58 am

I can even remember the specific moment. It was at the end of The Almost People when Amy was about to give birth. Crass and unnecessary and from that moment on it was a slow death. Capaldi's stuff and that awful Clara sealed the deal and I stopped watching. Great shame how Capaldi was served (basically a dull-as-fuck Moffatt avatar). Tried with Whittaker but the supporting cast are too numerous and uninteresting and the scripts just don't engage me.

What a shame all round.
spectrox

Postby Servorobot » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:15 am

iank wrote:You know me, socially conscious and all that. :D

Most definately. :D
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 pm

The ending.....? :?

See also......

Rate "Twice Upon a Time":

http://www.planetmondas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6012

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:10 pm

As the final option in the poll points out .... is it possible that the Doctor has now assumed the same status as certain famous literary characters - Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes etc. - and his (her?) adventures can never truly end? :?

No matter what happens in New Who and the like - is there always the possibility of future revivals/reinterpretations for generations of the future?

Revivals that you may take to and enjoy?

Is it actually impossible to kill the character off permanently now - even if one wanted to? :?

Just how lethal can a bad New Who Showrunner be when it comes to the timeless(?) character of "The Doctor"? :death:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

See also......

The Doctor Character: Literary Immortal or Bound for Obscurity?:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7561

OTHER BOOKS & STUFF Board:

http://www.planetmondas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=84

Chibnall: Has He REALLY Killed Doctor Who?:

http://www.planetmondas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7317

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:40 pm

Or was this the last gasp of the show - and of WHO - for you - and nothing will ever, ever follow it?

See also......

The Caves of Androzani:

http://www.planetmondas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3180

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby godzilla54 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 pm

True Who ended with McCoy. Excited about with TV movie and nu series but it was different. The Doctor became half-human and then the sexy boyfriend figure, I just cringe. Real disappointed with the format. I think stories containing 25 minute episodes are the best. Plus love seeing the Doctor’s face in the opening credits.

Been extremely disappointed with Whitaker and Chibnall. This last episode about did it for me for I felt the proverbial middle figure to die hard fans. (We’ll see what happens). I really wish the BBC will do a online series of a continuation of the classic series (using the classic format) and they can do what they want with nu Who for it’s in another universe like the TV movie for me.
godzilla54

Next

Return to GENERAL DOCTOR WHO DISCUSSION