Transferring VHS Tapes to DVD...

Non Doctor Who discussion.
Happygolucky

[Posts moved from the "So About Those Missing Episodes Then..." thread.]
shuzbot wrote:http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcons ... -save-them
Videotapes Are Becoming Unwatchable As Archivists Work To Save Them
That's a good heads up Shuz, I still have my wedding day VHS in the cupboard from 1984, it's never been copied to any digital media, I think I should find the time to do it before it disappears !!. I also have shelves full of VHS tapes of early UK Gold Doctor Who broadcasts, maybe they would be worth a look see too?
Regards HGL
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

I know this is true from experience, so I'd hop to it HGL.
James Ellis

Actually when you think about it, that could be a lucrative business, transferring everybody's VHS tapes onto a digital format, must be loads of old tapes lying around people don't want to part with.

Might be the case they don't own a VHS player now, so unless they pony up some cash their screwed.
interference

James Ellis wrote:Actually when you think about it, that could be a lucrative business, transferring everybody's VHS tapes onto a digital format
Hmm if only someone had thought of that.
Amyiszygon

Happygolucky wrote:
That's a good heads up Shuz, I still have my wedding day VHS in the cupboard from 1984, it's never been copied to any digital media, I think I should find the time to do it before it disappears !!. I also have shelves full of VHS tapes of early UK Gold Doctor Who broadcasts, maybe they would be worth a look see too?
Regards HGL
You're not going to hear this often from someone so I'm going to say it, one of the single happiest day's of my life was the day I was finally able to buy my copy of Invasion Of Dinosaurs on VHS only because it meant I completed my Doctor Who collection on videotape. Now they saying it's all going to disappear. I seriously hope that whoever still has missing Doctor Who episodes out there reads this article and realises that they're running out of time ... :cry:
Happygolucky

Amyiszygon wrote:
Happygolucky wrote:
Regards HGL
You're not going to hear this often from someone so I'm going to say it, one of the single happiest day's of my life was the day I was finally able to buy my copy of Invasion Of Dinosaurs on VHS only because it meant I completed my Doctor Who collection on videotape. Now they saying it's all going to disappear. I seriously hope that whoever still has missing Doctor Who episodes out there reads this article and realises that they're running out of time ... :cry:
Well, because of the warnings from Shuzbot and Servo I've just checked out the cupboard as soon as I got home and I am now suspending all work tomorrow, I have a busy day copying 4 VHS tapes onto DVD. I found my wedding day, my Son's first effort at crawling, his first rugby match, my Daughters sports day, a school play + a trip to Leggoland and that's just what is written on the tapes. I also found something more important (the wife will strangle me for saying this) two VHS tapes of Doctor Who, The Krotons and Tomb of the Cybermen !! Yay!!
Fortunately I have an unused Panasonic DVD- VHS combi recorder. Bought it for 30 quid 2 years ago (used once), I knew it would come in handy!! Now, where are those DVD blank discs? :D
Regards HGL
Doctor What

Happygolucky wrote: Well, because of the warnings from Shuzbot and Servo I've just checked out the cupboard as soon as I got home and I am now suspending all work tomorrow, I have a busy day copying 4 VHS tapes onto DVD. I found my wedding day, my Son's first effort at crawling, his first rugby match, my Daughters sports day, a school play + a trip to Leggoland and that's just what is written on the tapes. I also found something more important (the wife will strangle me for saying this) two VHS tapes of Doctor Who, The Krotons and Tomb of the Cybermen !! Yay!!
Fortunately I have an unused Panasonic DVD- VHS combi recorder. Bought it for 30 quid 2 years ago (used once), I knew it would come in handy!! Now, where are those DVD blank discs? :D
Regards HGL
You can get decent quality vhs players from car boot sales for under £5. Whether it works or not is an entirely different proposition. :D . Its interesting going through the tapes that often come with them too. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that's missing. Sometimes there are adverts from the early 80s but that's about it. Sorry for going somewhat off topic.
Happygolucky

Doctor What wrote:
Happygolucky wrote: Well, because of the warnings from Shuzbot and Servo I've just checked out the cupboard as soon as I got home and I am now suspending all work tomorrow, I have a busy day copying 4 VHS tapes onto DVD. I found my wedding day, my Son's first effort at crawling, his first rugby match, my Daughters sports day, a school play + a trip to Leggoland and that's just what is written on the tapes. I also found something more important (the wife will strangle me for saying this) two VHS tapes of Doctor Who, The Krotons and Tomb of the Cybermen !! Yay!!
Regards HGL
You can get decent quality vhs players from car boot sales for under £5. Whether it works or not is an entirely different proposition. :D . Its interesting going through the tapes that often come with them too. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that's missing. Sometimes there are adverts from the early 80s but that's about it. Sorry for going somewhat off topic.
Yes you can get good quality VHS players but this has a built-in DVD recorder and its as brand new as it gets. Regarding VHS tapes , are you saying that it is possible that some missing episodes may have been recorded to VHS? I thought that this format was too late for that? Wouldn't it be the Sony video 2000 format that would be around in the early 70's ? I could be wrong of course?
Regards HGL
Doctor What

Happygolucky wrote:
Doctor What wrote:
Regards HGL
Yes you can get good quality VHS players but this has a built-in DVD recorder and its as brand new as it gets. Regarding VHS tapes , are you saying that it is possible that some missing episodes may have been recorded to VHS? I thought that this format was too late for that? Wouldn't it be the Sony video 2000 format that would be around in the early 70's ? I could be wrong of course?
Regards HGL
Good point! Sorry I shouldn't skim posts! No, I meant missing stuff in general, not Doctor Who. The tapes are far too recent for that as they are only around 30 years old in some cases.
Me David

Don't tell me the shelves and shelves of films I taped off the telly are all doomed so soon. I have tapes from 87 that play better than some of the much later ones.
Knux

Me David wrote:
Don't tell me the shelves and shelves of films I taped off the telly are all doomed so soon. I have tapes from 87 that play better than some of the much later ones.
Get them transferred to digital/DVD, I think DVDs have something like a 50/100 year lifespan. i've had VHS tapes stop working as far back as 2003
Hartnell's Wig

You'll be lucky if a DVD-R lasts anywhere near as long as a video tape. They just don't last. I had hundreds of burned DVD-R once upon a time and none of them lasted more than two years. Burned DVDs are rubbish.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
whoscarf3

I transferred Silver Nemesis VHS to DVD-R about 10 years ago and it played fine. I also have an early edit of Remembrance of The Daleks without the sound score;)
iank

Yeah, I've got a lot of stuff that is not commercially available (otherwise I'd just buy them and save myself the aggro!) that I've transferred to DVD. I'm now also in the process of further backing them up onto flashdrives, just in case! :)
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

You never know you could have Missing Episodes of Adventure Game lurking on your old VHS tapes!
Happygolucky

Well I spent a good 5 hours transferring and another hour or so figuring out the best process to do this transfer. I have managed to transfer, our wedding, poor quality VHS recording by the company that did it with colour bleed and bad ghosting but it's better than nothing, my son's first attempts at crawling and walking, which are in black and white as I seem to remember borrowing a very basic camera which came with a huge bank of light bulbs that you had to hang in the correct position because the light sensitive chip in the camera was sh*te!. There was colour footage of my baby daughter with my son ,wife and a small section with my Mum (god bless her) which I didn't know I had. Unfortunately the sound on about 8 minutes of footage has bad drop outs and makes for a difficult time listening, it jumps from centre to right speaker with massive drops in volume and bad crackling, seems the sound is what goes first on old VHS tapes?, still it's better than nothing. I now have another 2, 3 hour tapes to check through but at least these have labels with what's on them so that helps. I also transferred a 40 minute section from a holiday to Cyprus in 2001 which is of surprisingly good quality with excellent sound considering it's all analogue!!. I urge people to go check what they have on VHS and put some time in to capture these lost treasures of your family and past, life's too short!!.
Regards HGL
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Japan 'to stop making VCR machines'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36857370

Old news from a year ago.
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!

Return to “THE ZERO ROOM”

• Information