My re-watch of The Sarah Jane Adventures

Discussion of the Doctor Who spin-off programmes including Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
TheWatcher

Decided to start a re-watch of The Sarah Jane Adventures as I haven't seen them since original transmission and I rather liked them at the time, feeling that at least in comparison to NuWho, they were closer in tone to the old series with the serialized format and Sladen. I've created this thread just to chronicle the re-watch and maybe if any other members would like to voice their opinions on the series then feel free.
'Image ''Turn around, bright eyes.''
TheWatcher

Invasion Of The Bane

I actually didn't mind this one. Sladen was good and felt more closer to the Sarah of the classic series than School Reunion, Samantha Bond was better than remembered and the Bane creature itself was well realized for the most part. It has a few faults such as the character of Kelsey who was so f***ing obnoxious, I was p**sed off they didn't kill the little t*t off and some moments of mawkishness, but otherwise, pretty entertaining and an decent start. 6/10
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Along with Torchwood, this is on my list of things to watch, one day. It's on the shelf, just can't find the time right now.
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
TheWatcher

Revenge Of The Slitheen

After the pretty good previous episode, this was quite a letdown. The Slitheen are their usual s***ty selves with fat person jokes and toilet humor galore and although the idea of them being villains in a kids spin off series sounds more appealing, they're pretty awkward when so far, said spin off series has shown itself to be closer in tone with the original source material than it's own continuation series. Things do look up after this one and a positive is with this one that Clyde is a better character than that t*t Kelsey. Other than that, this was pretty poor stuff. 4/10 :roll:
TheWatcher

Eye Of The Gorgon

This was much more enjoyable and well written than the previous s**tshow as well as being closer to the spirit of the classic series. The Nuns were creepy and the Gorgon was a pretty well realized villain for the most part and there were few creepy moments (i.e. the garden of statues/the Gorgon's past victims). It does get a bit twee and mawkish towards the end but that doesn't detract too much from what was still an highly enjoyable episode for the most part.
7/10
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

TheWatcher wrote:Revenge Of The Slitheen

After the pretty good previous episode, this was quite a letdown.
Looking at Roberts' track record for New Who, this wasn't a big surprise.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
TheWatcher

Warriors Of Kudlak

Hmm.... quite an 50/50 episode this one. The first part was pretty enjoyable although as usual, bogged down by a few sappy emo moments of mawkishness and then the second episode went t*ts up and got pretty tedious fast ending on a s**t note. I felt bad for Sladen having to deliver lines that sounded like they were written by a 14 year old. A couple of positives were the Kudlak creatures design and the combat arena sequences were well directed and visually appealing. But other than that, nothing special really. 5/10
TheWatcher

Whatever Happened To Baby Sarah Jane

This was actually very good. There's a genuine sense of mystery and an disturbing dreamlike atmosphere throughout the whole episode. The Trickster is a rather disturbing villain, visually, conceptually and performance wise and the character of Andrea is mostly well done, played and written as loath-able at times but with a sense of tragedy and melancholy without bordering on mawkishness. The younger actors also get to show how good they can hold themselves as well. The only downsides to it are the Graske which felt like an rather bloody stupid childish insertion and removed a bit of the nightmarish atmosphere and darker tone as well as the typical f***ing reset button ending but other than that, it was quite an satisfying watch. 8/10
TheWatcher

Was originally going to finish Series 1 tomorrow but decided to get it over with today as well as the overview and take a brief break.

The Lost Boys

Hmm... Don't know what to say about this one. Certainly some interesting moments in there such as the plot twist of Mr Smith being the master manipulator. and it's probably the least s**t appearance of the Slitheen as they're not played as completely stupid and an dispenser of fat jokes and toilet humor but are still pretty weak for the most part. The plot itself is pretty decent for the most part with the whole Moon plot and yet it's bogged down by juvenile language and an general dullness despite the stakes being raised. A couple things I'll give it in it's favor is it doesn't go for the whole reset button and fairy dust magic bulls**t that dominated RTD's ''Doctor Who' and at times, this' and Alexander Armstrong does give a rather understated and villainous portrayal of Mr Smith. But still quite an average finale really. Nothing standout. 6/10

So in the end, Series 1 of the Sarah Jane Adventures proved to be pretty alright for the most part. It has it's flaws such as the sometimes juvenile trite dialogue and mawkish RTD inserts but for the most part, at least in comparison to what was being passed off as Doctor Who at the time, it feels more closer in tone to the classic series than the former. Sladen is entertaining and the kids are pretty decent actors. Pretty solid stuff for the most part. I'd give it a B grade.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Thought I would make a start on these as I have been meaning to for ages.

Only seen Invasion of the Bane which kind of reminds me of a cross between the Vampires of Venice and the Jagrafess one that I forget the name of.

Pretty much agree with the OP's summation. Surprised they didn't have Sontarans or something to link it to DW a bit more, but perhaps that aided the mystery better.

Slitheen in the next one.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Shame TheWatcher has disappeared. I have nearly watched all of these now. It's actually rather refreshing. Proper stories, mostly free of identity politics. It's still a kids' show with a few cringey bits, some Clive's dialogue for example. I do wonder why they changed some of the actors after the second series. Liz is fantastic, what a loss.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The SJAs are, without any doubt, the best thing to come out of New Who by a country mile. :sarahj:
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D

Return to “DOCTOR WHO SPIN-OFF PROGRAMMES”

• Information