Doctor Who - The Collection - Season 23

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Re: Doctor Who - The Collection - Season 23

Postby Servorobot » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:30 am

'teleportNOW!' wrote:They're a vanity project by überfans, for überfans.
As usual, the budget is arbitrarily divvy-ed up in ways that means some of the really worthwhile quality improvements that could be done (which is the ostensible justification for these releases) don't even get done, because instead its used to make some awful new CGI or some arse of a mockumentary.

I wish I was an uberfan, then my life wouldn’t be be so dull and empty and I could watch these sets and feel like I’m part of them.

I do have a Gwyneth Paltrow candle though. ;)
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby paulhickling » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:45 pm

Some of the so called documentaries have been the most toe curling excuses for the Who fan prefects (lower tier, the top tier are the nuWho showrunners), total vanity fests. And the cgi, why? Much of it is out of date and aging badly within a very short space of time. They should be left alone as artifacts from when they were made.

I agree that one of the worst examples of this is the ice cave scene in Planet of the Daleks. To my eyes even now it's perfectly ok. There are far worse things in the show than this. It looks physical, and atmospheric. Bad cgi looks like a f*****g cartoon.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Marco's Voice » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:59 pm

I don't think the cardboard packaging on these releases will last 15 years. It's flimsy, will eventually become worn and tear. Why not put the discs in a steelbook arrangement?
Marco's Voice

Postby Servorobot » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:53 am

Marco's Voice wrote:I don't think the cardboard packaging on these releases will last 15 years. It's flimsy, will eventually become worn and tear. Why not put the discs in a steelbook arrangement?

Because it’s cheaper to produce and those steelbook things that you English are so obsessed with would make the cost £60.
Servorobot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Servorobot » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:56 am

paulhickling wrote:Some of the so called documentaries have been the most toe curling excuses for the Who fan prefects (lower tier, the top tier are the nuWho showrunners), total vanity fests. And the cgi, why? Much of it is out of date and aging badly within a very short space of time. They should be left alone as artifacts from when they were made.

I agree that one of the worst examples of this is the ice cave scene in Planet of the Daleks. To my eyes even now it's perfectly ok. There are far worse things in the show than this. It looks physical, and atmospheric. Bad cgi looks like a f*****g cartoon.

I think you’ve rumbled BBC America’s cunning plan.

They want all of Classic Who to look like a f*****g cartoon. :lol:
Servorobot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:55 pm

I finally started watching my Trial of a Timelord boxset.

My impression of Ep.1 was actually pretty positive: the 5.1 surround sound mix is a nice upgrade (various radiophonic atmosphere and rain sound effects etc work so much more effectively in surround),
the opening model shot is in true HD from the 35mm film, and looks great,
and the rest of the episode is as good as you could hope for for PAL video ... certainly better than some other stuff we've seen on these blu ray sets - I expect this is due to them being able to access earlier tape generations than the final dubbed transmission edit. I mean it's still 625 line PAL, it's never gonna look 'high definition', but I've seen a lot worse.

Ep.1 isn't too bad story-wise either - the script has some Bob Holmsian chuckles and there some surprisingly high powered casting (Michael Jayston being a particular coup... and, er, Joan Simms :lol: Selby & Bellingham & Chadbon are all good value, plus 'Dibber' does a great turn.
The problem as ever is that Colin Baker's brash panto clown is one of the weakest aspects, and for that reason alone the series was doomed, notwithstanding any other problems.

Dominic Glynn's score isn't bad, and works well in 5.1, although using his low-budget demo of the theme tune in place of Peter Howell's was indication that JNT had lost the plot.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:14 pm

I just spent an hour and a half of my life watching Joan Sims fluff her lines on the 'Studio and Location footage' bonus feature on Disc 1.
Not something I'll be watching again! :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Marco's Voice » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:50 pm

The updated 'Terror of the Vervoids' with revamped title sequence and new CGI works very well. Losing the courtroom scenes means that one is never wrenched out of the story, although the episodes are noticeably shorter.

Well worth watching. This is now my preferred way to watch this story.

I just wish the entire season 23 collection, and all of the others, were housed in a solid steelbook arrangement where the cover art could be enjoyed much more vividly.
Marco's Voice

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 am

I watched ep.1 of the broadcast story last night, and the most wrenching thing continues to be Bonnie Langford's panto acting.

I also find it hard not to giggle at the end when there's about a 30 second explosion / electrocution / 5.1 surround-sound scream :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:09 pm

One minorly interesting bit from the 'Behind the Sofa' feature on Terror of the Vervoids - Mark Strickson gets confused and thinks that Professor Laskey's unfortunate mutant lab assistant in the isolation room is Peri -
I actually was confused about that at the time too! (Probably cos they were both baldies)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby paulhickling » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:55 pm

'teleportNOW!' wrote:I watched ep.1 of the broadcast story last night, and the most wrenching thing continues to be Bonnie Langford's panto acting.

I also find it hard not to giggle at the end when there's about a 30 second explosion / electrocution / 5.1 surround-sound scream :lol:

I remember thinking at the time that she was better than we thought she might be, and that that scream was the best bit! :oops:
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:58 pm

I watched episode 14 today and my god is it awful. Everyone has swallowed a dictionary, Langford is 110% panto, the plot makes zero sense, the digital visual effects are naff af, arrrrgh
'teleportNOW!'

Postby paulhickling » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:35 pm

'teleportNOW!' wrote:I watched episode 14 today and my god is it awful. Everyone has swallowed a dictionary, Langford is 110% panto, the plot makes zero sense, the digital visual effects are naff af, arrrrgh

There is no doubt whatsoever, that Trial is the season where Doctor Who no longer came across as a professional production. When I got the dvd set it was the first time I'd seen it since the time of broadcast, and I enjoyed most of it reasonable better than I thought I would.

The biggest problem with it was Terror of the Vervoids. This really was the moment when I felt I was watching a Bill Baggs video. Nothing about the production hangs together like it's made for genuine broadcast. Malcome Clarke's music is way ott even though he is the only musician from before they got totally rid of the BBC RW. It has a great cast who are ALL poor. How can this be?

It doesn't even match with the rest of the season for me, they don't even have the same quality of sfx. Everything else has that same quality as the opening shot of the Gallifreyan Space Station at the start. But Vervoids has slipped back to naff cso space effects belonging to Blake's 7.

Don't get me started on the monsters themselves. Villainous cauliflowers? Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh! :lol:

Must give it another go because I thought after that, bad as they are, the last two episodes of the season were slightly better. Faint praise I know.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:27 pm

Ironically I kinda marginally prefer Terror of the Vervoids as a story and performance to the other episodes!
I meant, that's certainly damning with faint praise, but it less stand-out bad performances (Brian Blessed, Joan Sims...) and I think the Vervoids are better as a monster than the bloody Jathro robot and "L3"

I'd agree that Malcolm Clarke's score is probably the least effective of any he did for the show. There's some particularly naff digital synth sounds in it, real 'plastic trumpet' stuff.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby paulhickling » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:12 pm

I know they originate in the previous season, bu surely the Mentors are the best monsters/aliens in Trial? Apart from the problem of the lip they seem unable to hide where the mask joins the face (something easy to hide digitally now), and played well by both Nabil Shaban and Chris Ryan. They are probably the only Colin era aliens wholly belonging to his era that are as good as stuff from way before in the seventies.

Sorry TN! I honestly think the Vervoids are as bad as Drathro, in fact possibly actually worse. As veggie aliens they're a far cry from the Krynoids or the Wolf Weeds, both well achieved onscreen. Talking caulifower headed creatures? With cockney accents to no doubt hint at their origins on a barrow down the market in Albert square. They are the closest we got to the rumoured talking cabbage Tom B allegedly wanted as a companion :lol:
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Hah, yeah, the Vervoids really weren't at their best when talking to camera :lol:

I've been watching the 'Special Edition' of Terror of the Vervoids, and whilsts it's not as ghastly as the one for Enlightenment (in at least they kept the 4:3 video aspect ration, and did the new CGI exteriors the same), I still cannot honest believe how anyone thinks that cartony CGI is an improvement on the original dodgy model work?!
Aspect ratio aside, it jars horribly with the studio video tape, it's more piebald than a bald pie.
'teleportNOW!'

Previous

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY