Doctor Who - The Collection - Season 26

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Re: Doctor Who - The Collection - Season 26

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:13 pm

You know,
one thing I've never understood about Curse of Fenric: how were the Russians gonna fit the Ultima Machine in their little dingies? I mean it's pretty big. :alien:
'teleportNOW!'

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Darren Lake » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:06 pm

Marco's Voice wrote:Not my favourite era, but I decided I wanted the full set of blu ray seasons so I purchased the US McCoy Complete Season 3 blu ray boxset. I enjoy watching Cartmel because although I think his ideas on Doctor Who are NOT really Doctor Who, at least he had ideas and gave us two really good stories under his tenure - Fenric and Remembrance. I even quite like Silver Nemesis, Survival and Dragonfire.

I used to really quite like Fenric but watching it again, it’s so amateur it’s painful. The narrative doesn’t even flow as a story. It’s just a series of scenes strung together. A real shame.
Darren Lake

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Darren Lake wrote:
I used to really quite like Fenric but watching it again, it’s so amateur it’s painful. The narrative doesn’t even flow as a story. It’s just a series of scenes strung together. A real shame.

Reading Ian Briggs' novelisation, it's a cool story and you think 'This would make a great feature film'.

There are some great dramatic scenes in the TV show,
but yes, it's fatally flawed by crap acting at key moments, with 'Evil! Evil from the dawn of time!' being arguably the worst performance in Doctor Who's entire history.
Mark Ayre's unfortunate use of a single crap cymbal sample to go 'Tssh! Tsssh!' at dramatic moments doesn't exactly help the drama either.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby paulhickling » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:50 pm

.."so amateur it's painful".

Sadly that's my view of all the McCoys. And the era's fans underline Fenric as the best! It truly is painful and for me the worst bit is the supposed seduction scene outside the hut. On broadcast I'm thinking what the hell are they trying to do here?? I remember buying the dvd for the feature length version to see if it had improved... and of course it hadn't.

On the other hand I can cope quite well with Silver Nemesis on a least worst level, along with Remembrance and Happiness Patrol.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Kranger » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:03 am

Viewed all three seasons on original transmission and only really enjoyed Remembrance.

Cheap and nasty, even for DOCTOR WHO. The McCoy serials look tacky, with celebrity casting and mostly dire scripts, the show was running on empty. Horribly embarrassing dreck.
Kranger

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:42 pm

One interesting Fenric tidbit from Ian Briggs' novelisation: Nurse Crane was a Russian mole!
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Spam Fritter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:52 pm

paulhickling wrote:.."so amateur it's painful".

Sadly that's my view of all the McCoys. And the era's fans underline Fenric as the best! It truly is painful and for me the worst bit is the supposed seduction scene outside the hut. On broadcast I'm thinking what the hell are they trying to do here?? I remember buying the dvd for the feature length version to see if it had improved... and of course it hadn't.

On the other hand I can cope quite well with Silver Nemesis on a least worst level, along with Remembrance and Happiness Patrol.

Really happy to read this, i have years argued that Fenric is poorly acted. It may be the best McCoy, but the competition isn't strong.

Aldred and McCoy are no way strong enough leads. Cartmel to me is a sixth former cut loose on the school magazine, and JNT had given up and was just waiting for retirement/redundancy to get free.

Series ended for me with S22, which was very patchy and signalling the end, but the last half decent season.

That said i bought S26 on blu ray, but have struggled to watch it
Spam Fritter

Postby Kranger » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:56 pm

Season 22 was the last run of the classic show; it effectively ended (for me) in 1985.

As bad as S23 is, I do own the BD set (for the bonus extended edits).

I wouldn’t take the S26 set if it was given away for free. Still ... one man’s excrement, is another’s treasure.
Kranger

Postby paulhickling » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:17 pm

Season 22 mm? Gentlemen I think we concur.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Honestly, sometimes I think Kinda was the last good Doctor Who story ;)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby shuzbot » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:02 pm

'teleportNOW!' wrote:Honestly, sometimes I think Kinda was the last good Doctor Who story ;)

We all know it was downhill from the pilot episode :roll:
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby paulhickling » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:29 pm

Right. For me, if it had finished with Tom we would be celebrating a great classic series. I will give an extension to Davison because he finished on a real high. So if it had finished with Caves I'm fine with that. But then Coiln's first sries has plenty of merit.... and was definitely 'old style'.

One thing I'm sure of is it went downhill after that. Across the board. Without a doubt, to the point that whatever I dislike about New Who, it's hard to moan about much when we have the likes of Trial and the McCoys.

Of course this is all discussion for elsewhere folks!
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Finally got around to watching the 'Writers Room' feature on this one.

My main impression was that Andrew Cartmel was looking very frail, has he not been well?

I actually found the conversations fairly interesting, but the editing (where they'd pause every 90 seconds to show a Doctor Who clip) rather tiresome.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby professor_who » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:28 am

Well a very interesting conversation here! I'd like to say hoping not to get shot down in flames, but Curse of Fenric is the most over rated story in DW history. It just pops from one location/scene to the next without much flow. Some of this I actually put down to the director, and I think it could have been much better - start by shooting on film because the OB stuff doesnt cut it for an all location shoot unfortunately. I generally like Ayres' work, but for me this was his worst. Glynn should have got more stories.
Keff is just dreadful. Remembrance, as decent a story as it is, would have been much better with a different score and secretly that is what I was hoping for on this release.

Ghostlight - it's shot with low lighting, which is what it needed but unfortunately shooting on video at low light rarely comes up good. They wouldnt have shot it on film, I know, but again it would have made a world of difference to the picture quality. Also, the last few years were all shot on one inch rather than two inch tape, again that severely impacts the picture quality.

As for the performances, the best are undoubtedly in Ghostlight and Survivial. To me Ghostlight is the best McCoy tale, but even here he does some weird sh*t that seems like breaking character... that scene where he screws up his hand and face. but for guest casts those two did particularly well, I feel that in this era of the show, the directors didnt direct the main cast members. they gave them too much latitude. I love Colin but he needed to be pulled in from time to time, and Davison often says he wasnt sure what he was doing. McCoy though more than any could have done with some firm direction at times.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/professorwho[/youtube]

http://andysworldjourneys.com/

Twitter: @ProfessorWho_
professor_who

Postby professor_who » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:30 am

shuzbot wrote:
'teleportNOW!' wrote:Honestly, sometimes I think Kinda was the last good Doctor Who story ;)

We all know it was downhill from the pilot episode :roll:

once those silly Dalek things came into the show it lost me. Dont know what they were thinking. how did they think they could possibly work??
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/professorwho[/youtube]

http://andysworldjourneys.com/

Twitter: @ProfessorWho_
professor_who

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:13 am

Very much agree with most this!

professor_who wrote:Well a very interesting conversation here! I'd like to say hoping not to get shot down in flames, but Curse of Fenric is the most over rated story in DW history. It just pops from one location/scene to the next without much flow. Some of this I actually put down to the director, and I think it could have been much better - start by shooting on film because the OB stuff doesnt cut it for an all location shoot unfortunately. I generally like Ayres' work, but for me this was his worst.

Yeah, I think the praise heaped on Fenric is mostly from fans who willfully ignore the production flaws in favour of the good bits. I do think it's a great script, could've made a brilliant film, and there's a few smashing performances and scenes. (For instance, I really like Ace's faux-pas scene where she asks 'is that your boyfriend?' and her granny bristles 'my husband! I've got a baby!')
But yes, sadly, the editing is bloody terrible, just popping from scene to scene. The OB video looks like a local news novelty item off Nationwide, and MArk Ayres score introduces risibility at many a dramatic highlight by making this same stupid 'Tssh!' sound on a General MIDI module plastic cymbal sample. Also McCoy delivers close to the worst performance in the show's 50 year history with 'evil, evil from the dawn of time!'

All the stories are marred by some clearly terrible decisions from key members of the team - whether it's JNT insisting on making the Cheetah People look like puss-in-boots, or destroying the picture quality of GhostLight by shooting on multi-dubbed 1" video at low light, or letting Keff McCullough anywhere near a tape recorder. And all of this would be much more bearable if the lead actor was charismatic and able to carry the show with his performance - but he's often the weakest link.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:14 pm

I finally finished the Season 26 boxset!

The lengthy new interview with Sophie Aldred was good quality stuff.
I also enjoyed the JNT biography piece.

One thing about all those 11 million hours of studio rushes they include (god, are they a chore to watch!!) - Gary Downie is surley an narky git as an AFM? He just has this perpectually irritable tone in his voice which must've made everyone that bit more stressed?
'teleportNOW!'

Previous

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY