Animated Power of the Daleks, 21st November

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
Marco's Voice

https://youtu.be/4Nu_JFDXjyI

The first episode with the new Doctor...
Happygolucky

Marco's Voice wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:54 am
https://youtu.be/4Nu_JFDXjyI

The first episode with the new Doctor...
Nice one, now people can see how Timelords regenerate and change their appearance and their pants as well . :D
Regards HGL
Mr_0rang3

Well! That clip looked a lot cleaner than what I've been watching! I'll try and see if I can compare the scene with the blu ray tonight.
johnnybear

So the Whicker's World doc is only on the new version? I still haven't watched the old disc yet!!! :lol:
JB
Sid Rat

Someone has posted an old/new comparison of the immediate aftermath of the Doctor's regeneration:

Looks like the new animation diverges from the telesnaps a lot more in terms of composition.
johnnybear

The new one looks clearer but wheres the large checks on his trousers??
JB
Sid Rat

Uh oh JB, don't set HGL off again! Time to duck and cover...

:behindsofa:
:blowup:
Marco's Voice

Polly's hair looks more authentic on the special edition.
Happygolucky

Sid Rat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:25 pm
Uh oh JB, don't set HGL off again! Time to duck and cover...

:behindsofa:
:blowup:
:blowup: :lol:
Regards HGL
Sid Rat

Bored of Canada wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:35 pm
Sid Rat wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:30 pm
What about the recon HGL?
Yeah, is it as wonderful as I imagine? Is there CGI? How is it? Do they use the new film trims in any way? New photos? I can't wait for this. This new recon is the main feature and discs will be swapped in the case to reflect this.
Well I've watched the recon and I found it... a little underwhelming to be honest.

To be fair, the recon is an extra not the main feature and a commercial release has limitations on what images can be used and how much time and effort people can put in for the amount they're being paid. I guess I was just hoping for more given how technology has advanced over the years as well as having seen some of the short sequences various people have composed and posted to YouTube.

So here are my initial thoughts, such as they are:

Static images
A big positive is that the telesnaps don't have the curved corners, so they fit the screen perfectly. I assume a lot of work went into doing this rather than heavy cropping, so that was really appreciated. They're nice and clear, although given some of the recent efforts I've seen at upscaling, for example Josh Snare's YouTube video on The Savages telesnaps, there is probably scope for further enhancements. The horizontal line structure can be seen, which clearly delineates them from the other images. The opening regeneration/credit sequence could have been better.; the glow fades very abruptly.

As noted previously, not all available images could be used. One obvious omission for example are those showing the couple with the baby in Episode 6 with the Daleks bearing down on them before exploding. (The baby can be heard crying, but is not seen.) The composites are of variable quality, with a few being quite poor. Quite a few images are repeated. I found the sequencing of some images distracting because the location of characters within a scene jumps and then jumps back again.

Surviving footage
The big positive with the 8mm footage is the almost complete removal of the strobing caused by shutter interference. The big disappointment is that there appears to have been no effort made to correct the geometry and the curved edge of the television screen remains visible,. The former means the Daleks in the 8mm footage still look 'fat' and the latter is rather distracting especially because of the aforementioned elimination of the curved corners on the telesnaps. Whilst there is usually a pause on the opening frame before the footage plays, it often seems to cut off abrupty rather than linger for a moment on the last frame. There are also times when the footage is preceded or followed immediately by a telesnap of the same shot which serves no purpose and just highlights the difference in quality between the still and the moving footage. The footage is included 'as is'; there is no looping to make it a little longer. For example where the Doctor says "It's over, hm, hm, hm, it's over." the footage isn't synched again to the second "it's over".

The broadcast quality footage is, as is to be expected, all fine. As with the telesnaps, there is a determintation to include every one of the newly found 11 to 12 frame strips, even if they don't serve a purpose such as a Dalek exiting a room which is covered by a longer clip. The 'Daleks conquer and destroy' clip changes quality part way through too and personally I would have preferred it to be kept the same throughtout even if it meant downgrading the beginning. In one of the clips the door slides closed behind the Dalek and it would have been nice if a few frames could have been animated at the end to show the door closing fully. Seeing Lesterson moving, even if only for a split second was a delight. (Annoyingly the suriving footage extra retains the large frame numbers on the newly recovered film strips.)

CGI
This is by far the biggest disappointment for me. It's virtually non-existent. Some CGI stills of Daleks are used in composites and a couple of times these stills are animated to slide across the screen, but the number of full CG animations are very few indeed. I was really hoping that we would at least see shots showing only the Daleks animated.

Grading
The colour grading seemed very light to me. This is probably how it was originally, but the story doesn't have the same atmosphere as when everything is a little darker.

I'm sure all this sounds incredbily ungrateful for all the time and effort that went into making this recon and I certainly couldn't do better. I'm just being honest that, all in all, I found the recon OK but was left feeling that there is still so much more that could be done to really bring it to life. Maybe having access to blu ray quality assets will inspire others to enhance a few sections, produce more CGI etc.
Bored of Canada

Thanks for the in-depth analysis, Sid Rat. I honestly don't expect too much from recons, and I'm just looking for a quality upgrade from my ropey 1999 LC recon that I have as digital files. The CGI news is probably the most disappointing part, given that this exists:

And if he had the original source files still, easily could have been bunged in, but I have to wonder how much was restrained by BBC Worldwide. Hm. Oh well. Still psyched.
In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country

Return to “DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY”

• Information