Doctor Who TV Movie to be released on Blu-ray?

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Doctor Who TV Movie to be released on Blu-ray?

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Seems like the Doctor Who TV Movie is gonna be released on Blu-ray then.
BBC Worldwide have confirmed that the 1996 television movie starring Paul McGann will be released on Blu-ray in September. Further details on the release will be available shortly, but according to Amazon UK's pre-order entry it will comprise of two discs.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/08/tv ... 04508.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Blu ... 0blu%20ray
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Doctor Who TV Movie to be released on Blu-ray?

Postby The Krynoid Man » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:09 pm

I'm suprised about this. In order to create a HD transfer, they would have to go back to the original negitives, which Universal owns and would most probably ask the BBC a hefty charge for them. Plus, as with many 90's TV series, the CGI was rendered in SD, so they would have to just upscale those shots, or rerender them in HD like what Paramount did on the recent TNG Blu-Rays, which would be very costly.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby david_gregory » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:17 pm

I thought that also, so it will be interesting to see what form this HD release takes once it's available.
#STOP-THE-ASIAN-DOG-MEAT-TRADE

#END-FACTORY-FARMING
david_gregory

Postby The Nimon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:06 pm

Been reading up on this on GB. Steve Roberts seems to think that it'll just be a upscale, which is pretty pointless in my opinion. Would be nice if they've got their hands on the film though
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby Mike Nuttall » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:32 am

The Nimon wrote:Been reading up on this on GB. Steve Roberts seems to think that it'll just be a upscale, which is pretty pointless in my opinion. Would be nice if they've got their hands on the film though

I hear no-one from the RT was involved in this release.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby iank » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:41 am

I can't imagine buying it either way. Spearhead from Space is one thing, this pile of crap is quite another. :P
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby Doctorossi » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I would (eventually) go in for a scan/reconstruction. An upscale? You're havin' a laugh.
Doctorossi

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Oh dear, this seems like a rather underwhelming missed opportunity.

The Restoration Team site has a lot of detail on how the TV movie was shot/made/broadcast http://www.impossiblethings.net/restorationteam/tvm.htm

Basically, because of the different frame-rates between North American and European systems, there is a quite a significant compromise in picture quality,
and if you could go back and re-scan all the original film negs, regrade and edit it all back together, and upscale all the FX shots, then it could look impressively better on BluRay, a really big improvement ...

Or, for about 100th of the time and money, you could just stick the SD-DVD master onto BluRay, giving it a tiny improvement from the better compression codec.

If the Beeb are doing the latter, that's decidedly underwhelming, and indeed basically taking the piss out of the BluRay format and the fans.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:20 pm

I'd also point out that this will be the THIRD bloody time they've released this TV Movie:

1st on DVD, 2nd on remasterized DVD.
I've already bought it blimmin twice, if they want us to buy it a 3rd time they might at least upgrade the quality properly!
'teleportNOW!'

Postby The Nimon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Been reading up on this on GB. Steve Roberts seems to think that it'll just be a upscale, which is pretty pointless in my opinion. Would be nice if they've got their hands on the film though

Yeah Roberts seemed to know nothing about it until it was announced, and the thread had been running for a few days before. Was just reporting his thoughts on it as it'd cost a lot of money for the beeb to get their hands on the original film elements as i read it was edited on tape so it would take a whole new reedit finding the shots used and to redo the effects shots.

If they've spent out and got the original film elements and put the time in to give us a full HD copy then i will be more than happy to buy this on day of release. If not and its just a upscale with new extras then i'll wait till it comes down under a tenner
The Nimon

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Aye, fair point - if they have (for some crazy reason) spent the time and cash rescanning the negs and remaking the whole thing from the ground up (5.1 sound too, surely?) then WAHEY, why not - it will looks sumptuous...

But the cynic in me suspects this is from the same stable that put all the Eccleston & Tenant ones out on BluRay, upscaled from the *NTSC* versions, and still not fixing the wrong sound on the first Children in Need special...
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Mike Nuttall » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:16 am

The Nimon wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:

Yeah Roberts seemed to know nothing about it until it was announced, and the thread had been running for a few days before. Was just reporting his thoughts on it as it'd cost a lot of money for the beeb to get their hands on the original film elements as i read it was edited on tape so it would take a whole new reedit finding the shots used and to redo the effects shots.

If they've spent out and got the original film elements and put the time in to give us a full HD copy then i will be more than happy to buy this on day of release. If not and its just a upscale with new extras then i'll wait till it comes down under a tenner

You'd think they'd use people with experience, who know what they're talking about. Apparently not, a new team on the job it seems.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:49 am

Well, would *you* work with a toilet-cam sex criminal if you had the choice? :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby The Nimon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:
You'd think they'd use people with experience, who know what they're talking about. Apparently not, a new team on the job it seems.

These are the same people who released Underwater Menace with that recon, logic does not apply
The Nimon

Postby The Nimon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:00 pm

feline1 wrote:Aye, fair point - if they have (for some crazy reason) spent the time and cash rescanning the negs and remaking the whole thing from the ground up (5.1 sound too, surely?) then WAHEY, why not - it will looks sumptuous...

But the cynic in me suspects this is from the same stable that put all the Eccleston & Tenant ones out on BluRay, upscaled from the *NTSC* versions, and still not fixing the wrong sound on the first Children in Need special...

Yes my thoughts as well. Would be nice if they have done what was done on the Star Trek TNG blurays, I can't see it happening though, given their past record.
The Nimon

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:30 pm

aye, I suspect a short-termist accountancy mentality, "our projections suggest that if we re-release this on BluRay, we'll make £xx thousand quid in profit" - neglecting that in the long term, the amount of people realising they've been duped will actually reduce sales, wreck marriages and frankly is *exactly* how Nazi Germany started etc etc
'teleportNOW!'

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:04 pm

According to this article it's gonna be an "upscale" version of the TV movie.

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/artic ... -on-bluray
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Krynoid Man » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:12 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:According to this article it's gonna be an "upscale" version of the TV movie.

£20 for an upscale is an absolute rip off. You can get the first Revisitations set for less money, and that comes with two other stories as well.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby The Nimon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:07 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:According to this article it's gonna be an "upscale" version of the TV movie.

So basicly, the suspected upscale, all the extras from the special edition, Night of the Doctor and nothing new. Think i'll wait for it to come down under a tenner then
The Nimon

Postby mr borusa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Its a two disc release so the BBC are really taking the piss. As this is an upscale all the stuff can easily fit on a single disc.

Its like the VHS days again when they would put six episodes on two tapes and charge £20 when they could all fit on a single tape that could be charged at £12.99.
Binro was right.
mr borusa

Next

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY