Doctor Who TV Movie to be released on Blu-ray?

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Re: Doctor Who TV Movie to be released on Blu-ray?

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:09 am

I actually had this delivered by Amazon yesterday (I pre-ordered the Series 12 blu-ray, and added this on to get free postage, and it was delivered separately yesterday :alien: )
Haven't watched it yet as I don't even really like the TV Movie :lol:

It seems to have everything from the remastered DVD *except* the DVD-ROM bit with PDF material. But it does have that wee Paul McGann scene from the 50th aniversary.
'teleportNOW!'

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby darnall42 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:40 pm

feline1 wrote:I actually had this delivered by Amazon yesterday (I pre-ordered the Series 12 blu-ray, and added this on to get free postage, and it was delivered separately yesterday :alien: )
Haven't watched it yet as I don't even really like the TV Movie :lol:

It seems to have everything from the remastered DVD *except* the DVD-ROM bit with PDF material. But it does have that wee Paul McGann scene from the 50th aniversary.

Don't get your hopes built up - Easily one of the worst doctor who blu-rays released (worse PQ than the revisited DVD version) , they could'nt even br bothered for a second blu ray for the extras -they just used the old dvd version and slapped a new disc lavel on ;) ) if it does come up for release again i hope they do a better version :)
darnall42

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:11 am

Hmmm, well I guess I better watch it first before I give my old DVD away then!! As it sounds like I might want to hang on to it!
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 pm

I *finally* watched this BluRay of the TV Movie.

The picture quality really is rather dismal compared to what it might have been.

The Restoration Team article explains in some detail about technical reasons why it looks like it does (basically: made in the America ) http://www.impossiblethings.net/restorationteam/tvm.htm

I was still surprised, though, how it basically looks *worse* than the better-looking 80s Doctor Who.
For example, the 'blackness' of space in the title sequenes is full of white speckles!

I didn't experience too much motion judder, at least - not sure if that is down to the BluRay encoding, or my Sony 4K TV also making intellegent upscaling choice.

What is so frustrating, though, is that the TV movie was shot on 35mm, in Vancouver in the mid-90s just like the first few series of the X Files ... and the latter have all been released in splendid looking BluRays where they rescanned the original film negs, reframed for widescreen, and re-rendered all the CGI effects in HD.
They can't do that with the TV movie cos the morons junked the negs. FFS!
'teleportNOW!'

Postby paulhickling » Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 am

But, is it worth replacing my original dvd release? I'm playing it on Blu Ray player and 1080p telly. Won't they both upscale it between them to the tiny extra quality I'd get on the Blu Ray disc since it's not that great anyway.?

Always liked the movie personally. I'd rather watch a remake of the start of Spearhead stitched to the climax of Deadly Assassin, with some daft old bollocks about atomic clocks in between, any day than some of the new Who sh*te including all of the last two series.

And all the cast are great. Second favourite Master tying with Jacobi.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby darnall42 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:44 am

paulhickling wrote:But, is it worth replacing my original dvd release? I'm playing it on Blu Ray player and 1080p telly. Won't they both upscale it between them to the tiny extra quality I'd get on the Blu Ray disc since it's not that great anyway.?
If you have the special edition release of the TVM i would stick with that,the blu ray is a waste of time and money (your blu ray player will do a better job of upscaling than the horrid blu ray) .Personally i would hold out a little longer as it wouldnt suprise me if there wasnt another release of the story in 2021 for it's 25th aniversary next may :)
darnall42

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 24, 2020 12:13 pm

Or the Wilderness box set years, no joke. It's being mooted.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby paulhickling » Mon May 25, 2020 10:28 am

It's the fan obsession with having to fill the gaps, and we all know where that's brought us to.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby paulhickling » Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 am

darnall42 wrote:
paulhickling wrote:But, is it worth replacing my original dvd release? I'm playing it on Blu Ray player and 1080p telly. Won't they both upscale it between them to the tiny extra quality I'd get on the Blu Ray disc since it's not that great anyway.?
If you have the special edition release of the TVM i would stick with that,the blu ray is a waste of time and money (your blu ray player will do a better job of upscaling than the horrid blu ray) .Personally i would hold out a little longer as it wouldnt suprise me if there wasnt another release of the story in 2021 for it's 25th aniversary next may :)

Nah not even that. Miner's the original bog standard version.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby darnall42 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm

shuzbot wrote:Or the Wilderness box set years, no joke. It's being mooted.
seen some of the people on gallybase going on about this mythical release and them wanting every webcast,documentry and every charity skit !! i won't deffinetly be buying anything like that - i might cough up the cash for another release of the TVM but there is no way i'm paying for a box of tat just to get it ;)
darnall42

Postby darnall42 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:32 pm

paulhickling wrote:
darnall42 wrote:

i would say even the original dvd is better than the blu ray due to it being at the correct speed and not slowed down like the blu ray (if you can get the TVM blu ray dirt cheap its ok for the new extras made for the special edition but thats about all :) )
darnall42

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 pm

paulhickling wrote:
darnall42 wrote:

Well, the BluRay is going to be a bit better than the original DVD (although not in a 'wow, this doesn't even look like mid-90s standard definition telly any more!' way - because it looks *exactly* like mid-90s standard definition telly. Which, indeed, it is). Just in a slightly less compression artefacts and munge-ing generally.

The BluRay (and 'revisited' DVD) both have a nice new commentary from McCoy and McGann in the same room together, which I only listen to once about 6 years ago, but I recall it being quite engaging and endearing. I mean, it's not all that often you actually get two doctors on one commentary - these days it tends to be 'Toby Haddock gets narky with the Assistant Floor Manager'
'teleportNOW!'

Postby paulhickling » Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 am

Would like to hear that commentary...
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY