Tom Baker - The Complete First Season S12 Blu-ray

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Tom Baker - The Complete First Season S12 Blu-ray

Postby iank » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 am

(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Best Buy Season Boxset Hoax?

Postby ericthehalfabee » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 pm

It's not a hoax. It's happening.

I wonder if they're planning on doing any of the monochrome stuff?
ericthehalfabee

Postby shuzbot » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Somebody on GB pointed out that the Red Dwarf series 1-5 are coming out on Bluray next year: www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Dwarf-1-BD-Blu-ray ... rf+blu+ray

The Beeb never miss an opportunity to get new money for old rope, eh?
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:54 pm

shuzbot wrote:Somebody on GB pointed out that the Red Dwarf series 1-5 are coming out on Bluray next year: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Dwarf-1-BD- ... rf+blu+ray

Blimey. DW and Red Dwarf. Seems like a policy thing to bang out these old recordings on BR then... Fawlty Towers next!?

Quite promising for archive telly fans, and dare I say it... fans of missing TV.
ericthehalfabee

Postby darnall42 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:32 pm

shuzbot wrote:Somebody on GB pointed out that the Red Dwarf series 1-5 are coming out on Bluray next year: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Dwarf-1-BD- ... rf+blu+ray

red dwarf has been coming to blu ray for the last 2 years (i put em on my amazon watchlist in the middle of last year when they were supposed to be releastearly 2017) i have a feeling come feb 2018 they will be heavily delayed again :)
darnall42

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:

Blimey. DW and Red Dwarf. Seems like a policy thing to bang out these old recordings on BR then... Fawlty Towers next!?

Quite promising for archive telly fans, and dare I say it... fans of missing TV.

I would LOVE Fawlty Towers to come out on BluRay.
Most of the original film insterts still exist (they were re-telecined for the remastered DVDs) they'd look fabulous on BluRay. And the studio videotape will also look much better too when it's not munged up by MPEG2 compression artefacts. Whole thing for £20 quid, what's not to like?
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:It's not a hoax. It's happening.

It's almost as if I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby CouncilSpectre » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Interesting re RD - Naylor killed it back in September but the Beeb have thrown more £££ at it and it's now back on.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DougRDNaylor ... 7890663426
I aim to misbehave....
CouncilSpectre

Postby iank » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:54 pm

But - but - but - I thought physical media was dead and no one wanted it anymore!
JMW said so, so it must be true!

:D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

iank

Postby -JMW- » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:25 am

iank wrote:But - but - but - I thought physical media was dead and no one wanted it anymore!

As the mainstream it's certainly dying out in favour of streamed/downloadable content.

I expect niche markets to flourish for a while longer, offering, as they do, overpriced product to those who can afford it.

At some point the concatenated studios (I'm expecting Sony's entertainment division to be sold off in the same way as Fox was recently) will see the granting of licenses to third parties as a threat to their online offerings and cause a cessation to it. Physical media will likely become a burn & print while-you-wait service derived from the downloadable product (possibly altered to a more resilient credit card type media).

Will the Tom Baker set (if/when it arrives) change any of that? Nope.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby chap with wings » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 am

-JMW- wrote:
iank wrote:But - but - but - I thought physical media was dead and no one wanted it anymore!

As the mainstream it's certainly dying out in favour of streamed/downloadable content.

I expect niche markets to flourish for a while longer, offering, as they do, overpriced product to those who can afford it.

At some point the concatenated studios (I'm expecting Sony's entertainment division to be sold off in the same way as Fox was recently) will see the granting of licenses to third parties as a threat to their online offerings and cause a cessation to it. Physical media will likely become a burn & print while-you-wait service derived from the downloadable product (possibly altered to a more resilient credit card type media).

Will the Tom Baker set (if/when it arrives) change any of that? Nope.

Completely agree, nail on the head.
Case in point - Twice Upon A Time £12.99 On Blu Ray our in a few weeks but £3.98 on iTunes complete with extras out now.
I still buy physical media when it is cost effective but as long as I can view or listen I don’t care about the format. Not bought a physical Big Finish release for a few years.
As JMW said there it’s becoming more niche - I only bought s10 and Shada as I like the Steelbook editions and Twin Pesks S3 as it is not available on streaming.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby CouncilSpectre » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:12 pm

I would agree that physical media is becoming more and more niche.

Personally speaking, I would always prefer physical over digital. Space-saving, and often cost aside, physical media affords superior PQ/AQ, and more often than not, digital doesn't come with extras. Plus there's always that underlying fear that digital content could disappear at the drop of a hat.

The decline in physical media is down to multiple factors - the advent of digital being just one of them. The other key consideration is that people don't really want to be buying the same content over and over again. That being the case, the jump from VHS to DVD was huge. Lots of people who upgraded their collections from VHS to DVD likely drew the line there, especially as the jump from DVD to BD was less revolutionary. There will be more people who will likely draw the line at BD and not bother upgrading further, and then again, the same with 4K. Once you have movies in a format that allows for presentation no worse than they would have been seen on the big screen originally, there really isn't much point to buying it again. We've now reached that point with both movies and television, and with the advantages of digital competing as well, future physical sales are in serious jeopardy in the medium to long term.

Fortunately, if physical disappeared tomorrow, I'd survive. I've upgraded most things that I'd want to. I don't plan on buying most of these things again now, physical or digital.
I aim to misbehave....
CouncilSpectre

Postby DSJR » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:28 pm

You lot should confirm, but I also believe that a DVD played on a Blu-Ray player can give better results than a vanilla DVD player on its own, or is this purely due to the upscaling to make it work on a modern flat-screen TV?
DSJR

Postby -JMW- » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:51 pm

DSJR wrote:You lot should confirm, but I also believe that a DVD played on a Blu-Ray player can give better results than a vanilla DVD player on its own, or is this purely due to the upscaling to make it work on a modern flat-screen TV?

Yeah, it's a software technique to artificially convert standard def video to high def (a la Blu-Ray or UHD4K) primarily so that it will appear less pixilated on a larger screen. It can't add detail that is not present though, so a native HD video is far superior...but it's the next best thing.

The Doctor Who McGann Blu-Ray, and the series 1 to 4 Blu-Rays have had a similar job done on them, albeit by those in the industry working specifically to that product rather than a generic piece of kit in your player.

Naturally the quality of upscaling results are dependant on the player.

Here's a page with an example and explanation.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby mr borusa » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:40 pm

CouncilSpectre wrote:I would agree that physical media is becoming more and more niche.

I don't simply because you can now go into HMV and buy vinyls and players.

If records can make a come back in this digital age then there is plenty of life in Physical media yet.
Binro was right.
mr borusa

Postby iank » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Cinema was definitely going to kill radio. And TV was definitely going to kill cinema.
And ebooks were definitely going to kill real books.

:floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll:

iank

Postby -JMW- » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:53 pm

mr borusa wrote:
CouncilSpectre wrote:I would agree that physical media is becoming more and more niche.

I don't simply because you can now go into HMV and buy vinyls and players.

If records can make a come back in this digital age then there is plenty of life in Physical media yet.

Vinyl is a "collectors" format and simple to produce - one can even press a vinyl disc on an individual basis. But even then it's hardly the mainstream product it once was - You have to pay a fortune for a "new" vinyl pressing. Digital media is a disposable format and expensive to produce in smaller quantities because the production process is not straight forward. That is the difference.

Laserdiscs? Gone
Minidiscs? Gone
8-Track? Gone
I don't see audio cassettes (though still made in smaller quantities) and VHS making a big comeback either.

JMW

Postby -JMW- » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:01 am

iank wrote:Cinema was definitely going to kill radio. And TV was definitely going to kill cinema.
And ebooks were definitely going to kill real books.

:floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll:

e-books have decimated the retail market in paper-based media. Several magazine firms and book sellers have gone out of business in the last decade because of this. DWM will be lucky to last another couple of years in printed form.

I don't know about "cinema killing radio" or "television killing cinema". Markets move on though and we are in unprecedented times with digital media being so very easy to copy and share with zero loss in fidelity, and a culture of immediacy that Netflix in particular seem to have grasped. The online market (both "legitimate" and unsanctioned are decimating the physical media industry and it's all undergoing the biggest overhaul it's had in at least a half century.

JMW

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:09 am

I've edited out some sass. Stop needling each other, ta.

This thread's about the upcoming bluray of Tom Baker's first season. Not "Is physical media dying?" which has a somewhat relevant thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5345
ericthehalfabee

Postby darnall42 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:16 pm

Just started watching series 12 at the moment on my classic who marathon (sontatan experiment is on as i type this :) ) and the dvds look fine on my 50 inch LED telly upscaled by my blu ray player so i cant see what benefit blu ray upgrades will bring unless there is a decent amount of new VAM included
darnall42

Next

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY