Tom Baker - The Complete First Season S12 Blu-ray

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Re: Tom Baker - The Complete First Season S12 Blu-ray

Postby pmname » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:47 pm

The Nimon wrote:
Happygolucky wrote:
nosfer2 wrote:
Happygolucky wrote:So nobody has watched any episodes yet then?!!
Regards HGL

I watched the first episode of Robot last night, I didn't see any option to change the way the picture is displayed.

So it has black bars at the sides?
Regards HGL

I'm guessing it'll be in the original 4:3. Most TVs let you zoom in though to make the picture fill the screen

My tv's presets wouldn't fill the screen. The black bars remained...for part one Robot at least.
Not crazy about the packaging, but the booklet's nice.
pmname

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Kranger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:54 pm

To add to the audio, subtitles and Wisher credit typo, there’s also a PDF Dalek extra missing from the set and Revenge of the Cybermen part four, has a frame overlap issue.
Kranger

Postby iank » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:05 am

I don't think I'm going to be rushing out and buying this on day one. Season 12, for all the hype, is a fairly average season to me and $85 is a bit steep for something I've already bought several times over. $50 maybe, but $80plus. It's a bit steep, lads. I'm not made of fecking money.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:26 am

Amazon delivered mine yesterday, albeit covered in the blood and tears of their abused staff monkeys :(
Of course, I had the DVDs of all these stories already... replacing them on my shelves, the new set is two DVD boxes' worth slimmer
I think it's nicely packaged - to my mind it was insane that the Season 12 DVDs weren't released in a boxset like this in the first place.

I watched episode 1 of ROBOT - the picture quality is surely just about as good as it's possible to get from original 625-line PAL quad tapes? All the exterior scenes were done on Outside Broadcast video and so we are spared any Monty Python 'this house is surrounded by film' piebald antics. One of the OB cameras does seem to be noticably poorer image quality than the studio (the scenes with Patricia Maynard).
The audio is as clear as I've heard it.
The intro titles look very 'cleaned up' to me (compare them with the 'unused title test sequence' bonus material) - I was sliiiiightly worried they were tooooo cleaned up, but on balance I think they're cool.

Kettlewell's hair, though! :D
Sarah's slipping on the oil makes slightly more sense when you clock the crazy platform shoes Liz Sladen was wearing.

Sad that nearly everyone involved with this production is dead now except Dick Mills and Tom Baker! (oh and Terrence Dicks, of course)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:29 am

I also re-watched the little feature on how Bernard Lodge made the title sequences - fascinating and informative. Only very slightly spoilt by that dick Brendan Sheppard dubbing crap music from his mates under Bernard talking.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby pmname » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:02 pm

I did a quick test with the Robot dvd on an xbox one s(a 4k blu-ray player apparently) against the new one on an original ps4(standard blu-ray). Tv's standard hd too but the xbox may upscale.
The new is better, slightly, with deeper blacks giving stronger definition. The sound is a definite improvement.

I can't understand the adoration with the box. It feels flimsy and will soil.
I'll probably get '70's stuff prior to Williams but I'm not enthusiastic. Season 19? No thanks.
pmname

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:12 pm

pmname wrote:The sound is a definite improvement.

As is the nose :lol:
ericthehalfabee

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:41 pm

apparently there's two faulty discs in the set and BBC DVD are providing replacements if you email them?! Oh dear.
Restoration Team strikes again
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Spam Fritter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:12 pm

feline1 wrote:apparently there's two faulty discs in the set and BBC DVD are providing replacements if you email them?! Oh dear.

To save me watching them all this week, can you post which are the faulty discs etc once you know.

Thanks in advance
Spam Fritter

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23 pm

it's one of those things where the answer is undoubtedly present on some hidden forum on Roobarbs but I'm not allowed to read it because of some unsane idea they had that Al Hine was ahine.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:30 pm

Spam Fritter wrote:
feline1 wrote:apparently there's two faulty discs in the set and BBC DVD are providing replacements if you email them?! Oh dear.

To save me watching them all this week, can you post which are the faulty discs etc once you know.

Thanks in advance

3 and 5.

Out of phase audio on Sontaran Experiment and a few minor errors on Revenge I think.

I’ll dig out the info tomorrow.
ericthehalfabee

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:38 pm

In fact, I´m sending my email now.

These are the issues that Roobarbs are madly frothing over:

- Sontaran 1 - sound out of phase
- Revenge 1 - misspelling of Michael Wisher in credits
- Revenge 3 - Ian Marter credit overlapping with the subsequent credit
- Revenge 4 - overlapping frames at end of episode, noticeable as Sarah and Harry walk to the TARDIS.
- Walls promo PDF - accidentally left off

And they'll replace discs 3 and 5, with the Walls promo being slotted onto a later release presumably.

This is the email from BBC DVD support that someone received:

Thank you for contacting BBC DVD Support.

We will be offering replacements for the errors on Disc 3 (The Sontaran Experiment) and Disc 5 (Revenge of the Cybermen) in the Doctor Who The Collection Season 12 Blu-ray release.

In order to obtain a replacement, please email proof of purchase to this DVD Support line, in the form of a receipt from the retailer. If you do not have a receipt from the retailer, then please email a picture of the product with your full name and postal address in view.

The estimated time frame for the replacement to be available is 4-5 weeks.
Please allow some time for the replacement disc to reach you.

Kind regards
BBC DVD Support

The address being: DVDSupport@bbc.com

Which all seems very reasonable, and should minimise the frothing, although that shouldn't stop another good 50 pages or so moaning about the packaging.
ericthehalfabee

Postby ericthehalfabee » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:27 am

Personally I'm in love with this set. It's really special and it's motivating me to watch all the original VAM again too. An absolute bargain.

In a few weeks, I'd be happy to send someone some sample discs (faulty) for a tenner each :lol:
ericthehalfabee

Postby pmname » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks for the replacement info.
pmname

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:13 am

ericthehalfabee wrote:Personally I'm in love with this set. It's really special and it's motivating me to watch all the original VAM again too. An absolute bargain.

There's almost too MUCH extra material, to the point where the curators of the set seem to think their bonus features are more important than the actual grotty old episodes.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:31 am

ericthehalfabee wrote:
3 and 5.

Out of phase audio on Sontaran Experiment and a few minor errors on Revenge I think.

So is this why the set was delayed by about a month, so the Roobarbians could ensure that most of the general public had defective discs, and only Special People and True Fans Who Care could get corrected replacements? :roll:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby iank » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:45 pm

One would hope the Aus release has the fixed versions given it's not even out here yet.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby The Nimon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Been watching some of the extras on the disks, they're good stuff. loved the Repeat version of Genesis. Heard about disk problems, and on checking i can't really be bothered to change the disks, i mostly got the set for the extras and plan on holding onto the dvds anyway
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:25 pm

The Nimon wrote:Been watching some of the extras on the disks, they're good stuff. loved the Repeat version of Genesis. Heard about disk problems, and on checking i can't really be bothered to change the disks, i mostly got the set for the extras and plan on holding onto the dvds anyway

You don't have to "change" them (send them to the BBC), you just have to email them a receipt or photo. It would probably take you less time than it did for you to post here saying you couldn't be bothered :P
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Kranger » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 am

iank wrote:One would hope the Aus release has the fixed versions given it's not even out here yet.
That’s what I’m hoping for. I would rather wait a further delay and have the corrected discs, instead of getting the set now and having to send away for disc replacements.
Kranger

PreviousNext

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY