The Complete Collection Future Releases

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Re: The Complete Collection Future Releases

Postby professor_who » Sat May 09, 2020 4:25 am

shuzbot wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
shuzbot wrote:Do we know which ones are after 14? I seem to recall Season 8 being mentioned and I love Terror of the Autons :)

Isn’t 20 supposed to be next?

That'll do!

Gotta love Arc of Infinity

Do I???? Sorry but hard as I try it remains one of my least favourite stories of all time.... well of the classic era.

Wouldnt it be great if they threw us a curve ball though??? Let's hear it for the first B&W season! Season TWO!!!

Doubt it. I think this is our one chance to get Crusade animated, and I dont think it will happen, especially as this year is full of animations.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/professorwho[/youtube]

http://andysworldjourneys.com/

Twitter: @ProfessorWho_
professor_who

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Spam Fritter » Sat May 09, 2020 12:46 pm

professor_who wrote:
shuzbot wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
shuzbot wrote:Do we know which ones are after 14? I seem to recall Season 8 being mentioned and I love Terror of the Autons :)

Isn’t 20 supposed to be next?

That'll do!

Gotta love Arc of Infinity

Do I???? Sorry but hard as I try it remains one of my least favourite stories of all time.... well of the classic era.

Wouldnt it be great if they threw us a curve ball though??? Let's hear it for the first B&W season! Season TWO!!!

Doubt it. I think this is our one chance to get Crusade animated, and I dont think it will happen, especially as this year is full of animations.

Would a reconstruction of Crusade eps be acceptable?

Can the telesnaps be remastered to HD?

If its unlikely to get animated then i don't see any other way to get S2 released
Spam Fritter

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat May 09, 2020 11:43 pm

well, you can certainly scan a photograph in "HD" (and indeed they almost certainly would do - bear in mind most photos you would see online these days have more pixels in than an "HD" video), but what you need to remember is that they'll still be photos of a 405-line television screen! So all you'll really achieve by scanning them in HD is introducing less artefacting from dividing 405 lines into a higher number ;)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby professor_who » Sun May 10, 2020 2:53 am

'teleportNOW!' wrote:well, you can certainly scan a photograph in "HD" (and indeed they almost certainly would do - bear in mind most photos you would see online these days have more pixels in than an "HD" video), but what you need to remember is that they'll still be photos of a 405-line television screen! So all you'll really achieve by scanning them in HD is introducing less artefacting from dividing 405 lines into a higher number ;)

I've seen some examples of upscaling - Josh Snares has done some, and even telesnaps can be greatly improved. But all they have to do is animated TWO EPISODES to complete a black and white season. If only! I know I'm dreaming...

but the way animations are going, what are we going to see? After Fury, then what next? Evil? Wheel? Masterplan? Whatever will be left will be mostly historicals or stories like The Savages which would require a fair bit of work any way. For example Abominable will be no walk in the park, loads of characters. Evil itself wouldnt be the easiest which is probably why they've left it to a bit later.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/professorwho[/youtube]

http://andysworldjourneys.com/

Twitter: @ProfessorWho_
professor_who

Postby darnall42 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:44 am

Can't ever see the Crusades missing episodes being officially animated by the BBC .in the 2 missing episodes there are a large number of different scenes to animate and the doctor and companions change chothes multiple times (Vicki has 3 warbrobe changes in the 2 missing parts :) ) plus there is the blackface problem to deal with !! - a decent reconstruction will do if it can be made in the same quality as the macra terror and faceless ones blu ray versions with an option for narated soundtrack
darnall42

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun May 10, 2020 11:55 am

professor_who wrote:
I've seen some examples of upscaling - Josh Snares has done some, and even telesnaps can be greatly improved. But all they have to do is animated TWO EPISODES to complete a black and white season. If only! I know I'm dreaming...

Which is particularly ahine when you realise that they spent time and money animated two episodes for The Faceless Ones that weren't even missing :roll:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun May 10, 2020 11:57 am

darnall42 wrote: plus there is the blackface problem to deal with !!

or more accurately, the problem of middle class white people complaining about an actor in makeup. :alien:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Spam Fritter » Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 pm

'teleportNOW!' wrote:

or more accurately, the problem of middle class white people complaining about an actor in makeup. :alien:

It is an odd dilemma, i mean are you animating a white actor 'blacked up', or animating an Arabian character as written in the script
Spam Fritter

Postby darnall42 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:22 pm

the Stephen James Walker audience in 2020 wouldnt like either the blacking up in the existing episodes or the storyline (especially the El Akir character) .i can't see this being animated in full for airing on BBC America so the best that most likely can be done for the story would be a telesnap reconstruction
darnall42

Postby Servorobot » Sun May 10, 2020 11:37 pm

darnall42 wrote:the Stephen James Walker audience in 2020 wouldnt like either the blacking up in the existing episodes or the storyline (especially the El Akir character) .i can't see this being animated in full for airing on BBC America so the best that most likely can be done for the story would be a telesnap reconstruction

If only we could go back to the good old days eh? ;)
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Servorobot » Sun May 10, 2020 11:39 pm

Spam Fritter wrote:
'teleportNOW!' wrote:

It is an odd dilemma, i mean are you animating a white actor 'blacked up', or animating an Arabian character as written in the script

Well considering they don’t do a very good job of animating characters to look like the actors so far they might as well go for the scripted version.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon May 11, 2020 7:55 am

Spam Fritter wrote:It is an odd dilemma, i mean are you animating a white actor 'blacked up', or animating an Arabian character as written in the script

What about the ethnicity of the animator? What if white people are drawing the cartoons? Are male animators allowed to draw cartoons of women? :cow:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Servorobot » Mon May 11, 2020 10:15 am

'teleportNOW!' wrote:
Spam Fritter wrote:It is an odd dilemma, i mean are you animating a white actor 'blacked up', or animating an Arabian character as written in the script

What about the ethnicity of the animator? What if white people are drawing the cartoons? Are male animators allowed to draw cartoons of women? :cow:

Certainly not. This is an outrage.

What would they do if they found those two missing Crusades episodes?

Would they just skip those episodes or would they just show them just after Fred Astaire in blackface in Easter Parade?

Different time, different place.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby shuzbot » Thu May 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Um, OK...

They had their f*****g memories wiped, how would that work? :?
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby darnall42 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:47 am

shuzbot wrote:

Um, OK...

when Donna noble in the end of time started remembering her time with the doctor after her memories were wiped it near enough killed her ;)
darnall42

Postby Dragonsire » Sat May 16, 2020 10:21 pm

darnall42 wrote:
shuzbot wrote:

Um, OK...

when Donna noble in the end of time started remembering her time with the doctor after her memories were wiped it near enough killed her ;)

She also had the Doctor in her head. Call it a memory Block instead of wipe and poof.Also 6B sooo Jamie already got his memory back ??
Dragonsire

Postby telegoon » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 am

Servorobot wrote:
darnall42 wrote:the Stephen James Walker audience in 2020 wouldnt like either the blacking up in the existing episodes or the storyline (especially the El Akir character) .i can't see this being animated in full for airing on BBC America so the best that most likely can be done for the story would be a telesnap reconstruction

Sure, but where does PC end? You could argue that The Abominable Snowmen has the same type of problem if you care about how Tibetans look. I recently rewatched the Buster Keaton short 'The Paleface' which should also be banned based on the blackface rule (as it applies to Native American Indians). This short is an important part of cinema and a comedy classic. Oh, the torment!
telegoon

Postby Servorobot » Thu May 21, 2020 11:03 am

telegoon wrote:
Servorobot wrote:

Sure, but where does PC end? You could argue that The Abominable Snowmen has the same type of problem if you care about how Tibetans look. I recently rewatched the Buster Keaton short 'The Paleface' which should also be banned based on the blackface rule (as it applies to Native American Indians). This short is an important part of cinema and a comedy classic. Oh, the torment!

What it really means is there’s a time and place for everything and you need to make an opinion on the time it was produced.

I’m sure if you produced something involving blackface for a cheap laugh these days you’ll get rightly shitcanned, but in a film like Easter Parade it’s part of what was acceptable when it was produced.

You shouldn’t try and impose your 2020 values on something made in 1948. It just doesn’t work. If it offends, don’t watch, but don’t pontificate to all and sundry about how terrible it is.

On the flip side there are those that hanker for the days you could do this sort of stuff and pontificate endlessly about how awful the world is now without realising the world has moved on from their time.

Both sides need to live in the now and not think about the past.

Anyway does anyone think if the whole Crusades was found tomorrow and given straight back to the BBC that they wouldn’t try to release it ASAP?
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby shuzbot » Thu May 21, 2020 12:11 pm

telegoon wrote:
Servorobot wrote:

I think you are being reductive here. Surely good taste and common decency would allow you to distinguish between The Paleface and the Black and White Minstrels.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 am

Greatest Show in the Galaxy also has people dressed up in clown face :alien:
'teleportNOW!'

PreviousNext

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY