Dr Who - The Macra Terror Animation (Merged Threads)

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Dr Who - The Macra Terror Animation (Merged Threads)

Postby darnall42 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:21 pm

This does not Exist :D

darnall42

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Dr Who - Macra Terror Animation

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:49 pm

There's no such thing as Macra.

Until March 2019

Please feel free to discuss the new DVD release in this thread.

I hope it is episodic.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a25407414 ... d-blu-ray/
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Dr Who - Macra Terror Animation

Postby ianj » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:11 pm

My recovery bulbs above my Kitchen door are never wrong.

4 bulbs are still flashing away merrily.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

The Macra Terror

Postby Zarius » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:11 pm

One of Doctor Who's classic 'lost' stories is to be revived as a brand new animation.

Starring Patrick Troughton as the second Doctor, 'The Macra Terror' was originally broadcast in four weekly parts from March 11 to April 1 1967, but no full episodes of the serial are known to have survived.

Fortunately for fans, a complete audio recording of all four parts still exists. Now, 52 years later, the four episodes will be brought back to life through the power of animation, available on disc and digital download, in both colour and black and white, from March 18, 2019.

A surviving image from the original version of the 1967 Doctor Who story starring Patrick Troughton as the second Doctor.
A surviving image from the original version of ’The Macra Terror’
BBC
In the story, the Doctor and his companions Polly (Anneke Wills), Ben (Michael Craze) and Jamie (Frazer Hines) arrive on a human colony in the far flung future. The colony appears to be a giant recreational complex - a holiday camp for rest and relaxation. Everyone looks happy and carefree but all is not as it seems. The colony has been infiltrated and brainwashed by a race of giant parasitic crab creatures called the Macra.

Anneke Wills said: "Back in 1967 'There's no such thing as Macra!' was the cry; and for many years after there was no such thing as 'The Macra Terror'.

"Now, thanks to the magic of animation, we can see the story come to life again. I can't wait to see this adventure and how gratifying to have a little more of Ben and Polly’s time with the Doctor available to be seen by new generations."

The TARDIS crew in a shot from the animated 'The Macra Terror'
BBC
'The Macra Terror' follows in the footsteps of other missing or partly-lost Doctor Who stories, such as 1966's 'The Tenth Planet' and 'The Power of the Daleks', in being restored as an animation.

Special features for the DVD and Blu-ray release include: an animation gallery, behind the scenes film and audio commentary.

Doctor Who: The Macra Terror will be released on digital download, DVD (RRP £20.42), Blu-ray (RRP £25.52) and special edition Steelbook (RRP £40.84) on March 18, 2019. Pre-order will be available from midnight on Thursday (December 6) on Amazon and HMV.

A special screening of the new animation will also be held at the BFI Southbank, London on March 16, 2019. Tickets will go on sale to BFI members on Tuesday, February 5, with public sale opening on Tuesday, February 12.

Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The Macra Terror

Postby ianj » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 pm

My recovery bulbs above my Kitchen door are never wrong.

4 bulbs are still flashing away merrily.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Re: Dr Who - The Macra Terror Animation (Merged Threads)

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:17 pm

darnall42 wrote:This does not Exist :D

In colour?!? W-T-Actual-F ??? :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Who on Earth » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:22 pm

I quite dig the style, like a 90's Saturday Morning cartoon!

So, that leaves us 4 stories to animate for Season 4, and just Abominable if the Aussie email of Fury & Wheel releases is correct for Season 5. Which one do you think will be the first season Bu Ray box set?

Also, are your flashing bulbs lighting up over Season 4, or 5? :lol:
Who on Earth

Re: What story should be animated next ?

Postby paulhickling » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:36 pm

These animations need all the help they can get. Colour is just one way to make up for the fact that a) it's not the real thing, and b) it'll never be Disney quality. I'd much prefer to see the real thing in glorious black and white obviously. But it ain't happening. My attitude is yes it wasn't in colour, but neither was it a soddin' cartoon.

Saw a trailer for the new Spiderman: Spider-verse thing this morning and could only think "if only we could have them like that (three dimensional)". So as I say, every little helps.

And the bottom line is that it's optional!
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ericthehalfabee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:39 pm

feline1 wrote:

In colour and monochrome.

I've not seen a single positive comment about colour Power, but presumably they've had some?!

And how f*****g much for that steelbook? Bloody hell. I'm all for supporting these releases, but forty quid!! No chance.
ericthehalfabee

Postby paulhickling » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:05 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:
feline1 wrote:

I've not seen a single positive comment about colour Power, but presumably they've had some?!

And how f*****g much for that steelbook? Bloody hell. I'm all for supporting these releases, but forty quid!! No chance.

Permit me from the very thread discussing Power when it came out:

"First I heard about the 16:9 thing was in an email from a mate, and my reaction was "it can be in colour for all I care, because it wasn't a cartoon originally either". It was a joke, and look what's happened!

Anything that helps us ignore the Captain Pugwash elements of the otherwise lovely attempt is fine by me. I'll be eager to see it in b&w of course first.."

As for steelbooks, NO WAY! Two words: RIP OFF. Other countries get everything in one release with nice harder wearing plastic cases. We get flimsy cardboard digipacks and incomplete releases in the hope we rush out and by every release or at least the most expensive one. Aaargh!
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PhilipG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Martin_Kinsella wrote:There's no such thing as Macra.

Until March 2019

I hope it is episodic.

I hope it's episodic too. And that there's a 4:3 b/w SD version to please Servo. ;) :)

But fantastic to have this confirmed at last. Roll on 2019. 2018 has been a bit barren for Classic DW. :(
PhilipG

Postby ericthehalfabee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Apologies for the mess guys - I've merged a couple of other threads which popped up so everyone's in the same place. Enjoy!
ericthehalfabee

Postby elgarlic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:26 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:
feline1 wrote:

I've heard people happy that Power was done in colour, but not so much about the colour job being done well (a few, 'meh, good enough's).

BBC America paid for that colourisation to be done after the B&W version was completed. A Canadian group unrelated to Norton's team did a 'paint by number' on it ;) . Presumably, this time the colour is being considered from the start. Based on the preview images, it shows. Looks pretty good.

If they do a colour version, BBCA will broadcast it. And it might help their theatrical showings, if they do that again. Probably helps with the budget.
elgarlic

Re: The Macra Terror

Postby Monsieur Bondo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Zarius wrote:
One of Doctor Who's classic 'lost' stories is to be revived as a brand new animation.

Starring Patrick Troughton as the second Doctor, 'The Macra Terror' was originally broadcast in four weekly parts from March 11 to April 1 1967, but no full episodes of the serial are known to have survived.

Fortunately for fans, a complete audio recording of all four parts still exists. Now, 52 years later, the four episodes will be brought back to life through the power of animation, available on disc and digital download, in both colour and black and white, from March 18, 2019.

A surviving image from the original version of the 1967 Doctor Who story starring Patrick Troughton as the second Doctor.
A surviving image from the original version of ’The Macra Terror’
BBC
In the story, the Doctor and his companions Polly (Anneke Wills), Ben (Michael Craze) and Jamie (Frazer Hines) arrive on a human colony in the far flung future. The colony appears to be a giant recreational complex - a holiday camp for rest and relaxation. Everyone looks happy and carefree but all is not as it seems. The colony has been infiltrated and brainwashed by a race of giant parasitic crab creatures called the Macra.

Anneke Wills said: "Back in 1967 'There's no such thing as Macra!' was the cry; and for many years after there was no such thing as 'The Macra Terror'.

"Now, thanks to the magic of animation, we can see the story come to life again. I can't wait to see this adventure and how gratifying to have a little more of Ben and Polly’s time with the Doctor available to be seen by new generations."

The TARDIS crew in a shot from the animated 'The Macra Terror'
BBC
'The Macra Terror' follows in the footsteps of other missing or partly-lost Doctor Who stories, such as 1966's 'The Tenth Planet' and 'The Power of the Daleks', in being restored as an animation.

Special features for the DVD and Blu-ray release include: an animation gallery, behind the scenes film and audio commentary.

Doctor Who: The Macra Terror will be released on digital download, DVD (RRP £20.42), Blu-ray (RRP £25.52) and special edition Steelbook (RRP £40.84) on March 18, 2019. Pre-order will be available from midnight on Thursday (December 6) on Amazon and HMV.

A special screening of the new animation will also be held at the BFI Southbank, London on March 16, 2019. Tickets will go on sale to BFI members on Tuesday, February 5, with public sale opening on Tuesday, February 12.

They're certainly going to town on it! DVD, BLU RAY, download and a steelbook. Colour and b&w, impressive considering that it's not a very well known story.

Interesting that there is a TARDIS scene pic from the animation, when there is no such scene in the story :?

The classic series DVD range still has plenty of life left in it by the look of it, season 12 and 19 released on BLU RAY this year and probably season 10 next year along with this Macra Terror animation.
Monsieur Bondo

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:24 pm

PhilipG wrote:

Until March 2019

I hope it is episodic.

I hope it's episodic too. And that there's a 4:3 b/w SD version to please Servo. ;) :)

But fantastic to have this confirmed at last. Roll on 2019. 2018 has been a bit barren for Classic DW. :(

If it is not episodic I am not bothering.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby ericthehalfabee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 pm

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
PhilipG wrote:

Until March 2019

I hope it is episodic.

I’m with you. It’s not as if no-one complained after Shada.
ericthehalfabee

Postby elgarlic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
PhilipG wrote:

Until March 2019

I hope it is episodic.

It's in 4 episode format.
elgarlic

Postby Servorobot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:20 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:
feline1 wrote:

£40!!!!!

Tell ‘em they’re dreaming!
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Servorobot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 pm

PhilipG wrote:

Until March 2019

I hope it is episodic.

Cheers Phil.

Widescreen doesn’t worry me, but it should be episodic and in b&w.

Watching the Trout in colour just doesn’t seem right.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby elgarlic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Servorobot wrote:
PhilipG wrote:

Until March 2019

I hope it is episodic.

Cheers Phil.

Widescreen doesn’t worry me, but it should be episodic and in b&w.

Watching the Trout in colour just doesn’t seem right.

It's episodic, with colour or B&W options (both options on DVD and blu-ray). :)
elgarlic

Next

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY