Dr Who - The Macra Terror Animation (Merged Threads)

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Re: Dr Who - The Macra Terror Animation (Merged Threads)

Postby chemicalsunshine » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 am

The Problem for me is not the logo, which is the least of its problem but the whole blandness of it, a generic background of stars, swirls of purple for no reason to give it space, and the outline of the macra which looks nothing like a macra, but a giant cockroach, honestly they could have at least traced the cover from the novelization, it might have been stolen, but at least it would have been more faithful. The drawing of troughton is just about acceptable, but it looks all wrong, its as if the person had one or two pictures of him and drew what they could on a napkin and vamoose that's what we got.

I know in the end its the content of the DVD, but if you cant bother with presentation then its a lost cause.
chemicalsunshine

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:23 am

iank wrote:The marketing contrivance was pretending that the modern show ever had any relation to the original to start with.

:roll: Ah yes - I guess the giveaway was that Eccleston's character wasn't called 'The Doctor', wasn't 'a time lord', didn't travel through time and space in a 'TARDIS', there was no daleks or autons or cybermen in it, etc etc etc

WHY COULDN'T WE SEE THAT?!? :alien:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby iank » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 pm

You're making my point for me, dear. Eccles' may have been called the Doctor, but the character was not even a pale resemblance, and never really has been (Smith and Capaldi came close at times, but were always sabotaged by New Who's inherent nonsensical revision and lack of understanding of the character). Using the names and the props as something else does not make you that something when the heart and soul has been irretrievably cast aside. At best, it's televised fan-fiction, at worst it's an outright imposter hiding behind the name of a different show entirely while subverting and distorting everything the series and character formerly stood for. I don't see how anyone can claim otherwise, esp after the laughing stock joke of Nurse Who.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:46 am

:behindsofa:
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Servorobot » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

chemicalsunshine wrote:The Problem for me is not the logo, which is the least of its problem but the whole blandness of it, a generic background of stars, swirls of purple for no reason to give it space, and the outline of the macra which looks nothing like a macra, but a giant cockroach, honestly they could have at least traced the cover from the novelization, it might have been stolen, but at least it would have been more faithful. The drawing of troughton is just about acceptable, but it looks all wrong, its as if the person had one or two pictures of him and drew what they could on a napkin and vamoose that's what we got.

I know in the end its the content of the DVD, but if you cant bother with presentation then its a lost cause.

Well I thought it was a beetle, but a cockroach fits the image too.

It also seems to be emphasising it’s in colour with an appallingly garish colour scheme which total missed the point if the story. The Macra lurked in the shadows it didn’t appear behind the Northern Lights.

I’m still wondering who thought this was good, but with BBC America pulling the purse strings it hardly surprises me.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:56 am

iank wrote:You're making my point for me, dear. Eccles' may have been called the Doctor, but the character was not even a pale resemblance, and never really has been (Smith and Capaldi came close at times, but were always sabotaged by New Who's inherent nonsensical revision and lack of understanding of the character). Using the names and the props as something else does not make you that something when the heart and soul has been irretrievably cast aside. At best, it's televised fan-fiction, at worst it's an outright imposter hiding behind the name of a different show entirely while subverting and distorting everything the series and character formerly stood for. I don't see how anyone can claim otherwise, esp after the laughing stock joke of Nurse Who.

In other words 'It's not Doctor Who because I think it's sh*t'. :P

Does this mean every Sylvester McCoy story isn't Doctor Who either? :alien:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:48 pm

'teleportNOW!' wrote:
iank wrote:You're making my point for me, dear. Eccles' may have been called the Doctor, but the character was not even a pale resemblance, and never really has been (Smith and Capaldi came close at times, but were always sabotaged by New Who's inherent nonsensical revision and lack of understanding of the character). Using the names and the props as something else does not make you that something when the heart and soul has been irretrievably cast aside. At best, it's televised fan-fiction, at worst it's an outright imposter hiding behind the name of a different show entirely while subverting and distorting everything the series and character formerly stood for. I don't see how anyone can claim otherwise, esp after the laughing stock joke of Nurse Who.

In other words 'It's not Doctor Who because I think it's sh*t'. :P

Does this mean every Sylvester McCoy story isn't Doctor Who either? :alien:

It's all horses for courses. I consider most of the JNT era to vary between outright sh*t and mediocre. however it is all undoubtedly Who.

Same with Nu Who, be it Eccleston through to the mediocrity that is Jodie Whittakers incarnation. I do agree with your point made in reverse.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby chiefbrody » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Does anyone know if the Bluray has different content to the DVD? Don't know which one to order.
chiefbrody

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 pm

chiefbrody wrote:Does anyone know if the Bluray has different content to the DVD? Don't know which one to order.

The DVD will have lots of crappy MPEG compression which they left off the BluRay :mrgreen:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Black Orchid » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:01 pm

Amazon listing for The Macra Terror:

2 discs

Over 4 hours of bonus content including:
• AUDIO COMMENTARY
• EPISODE RECONSTRUCTIONS
• BONUS MINI-EPISODE
• ANIMATION TEST
• ANIMATICS
• ANIMATION GALLERY
• TEASER TRAILER
• ALTERNATIVE BLACK AND WHITE PRESENTATION
• 1992 AUDIO PRESENTATION
• SURVIVING FOOTAGE
• BEHIND THE SCENES FILM
• CENSORED SCENE
• TITLE SEQUENCES
• PHOTO GALLERY
• PRODUCTION PAPERWORK
Black Orchid

Postby Black Orchid » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Aspect ratio 16.9 (like Shada)

:(
Black Orchid

Postby rapscallion » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:05 pm

I can't create a link to it but the merchandise section of thedoctorwhosite goes into a lot of detail about the extras on The Macra Terror dvd and Blu-ray.
rapscallion

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:27 pm

rapscallion wrote:I can't create a link to it but the merchandise section of thedoctorwhosite goes into a lot of detail about the extras on The Macra Terror dvd and Blu-ray.

Will this do?

Doctor Who The Macra Terror DVD | Doctor Who The Macra Terror Blu-ray

I'm liking the cover artwork for the Steelbook better. Not keen on Gridlock being on the set's extras though...

Doctor Who The Macra Terror Steelbook
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Black Orchid » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Polly has the wrong hairstyle and is wearing the wrong costume in the Tardis. It's the Invasion episode 1 all over again!

:lol:
Black Orchid

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:04 pm

Black Orchid wrote:Polly has the wrong hairstyle and is wearing the wrong costume in the Tardis. It's the Invasion episode 1 all over again!

Yes - I believe they have taken liberties with the plot to facilitate not having to do Polly with two hairstyles :roll:
ericthehalfabee

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Black Orchid wrote:Polly has the wrong hairstyle and is wearing the wrong costume in the Tardis. It's the Invasion episode 1 all over again!

Oh not AGAIN!!! :x
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:44 pm

I saw a tweet there that it will have the Season 29 episode "Gridlock" on it too?

Will that be a proper 1080i50 upscale (unlike previous BluRay releases with I gather were a bodged upscale from the American DVDs so all 'pulldown artefacts' or sthg...)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby elgarlic » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:39 pm

Black Orchid wrote:Aspect ratio 16.9 (like Shada)

:(

Shada was 4:3, as they had the existing footage to match.
elgarlic

Postby rapscallion » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:40 pm

The release date's now been delayed by a week to March 25th. Well, ain't that a surprise
rapscallion

Postby rapscallion » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:04 am

The Ginger Cat wrote:I'm liking the cover artwork for the Steelbook better.

Yeh the Steelbook cover is so much better. Pity it didn't get used for the general release
rapscallion

PreviousNext

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY