Faceless Ones animation DVD/Bluray up on Zoom

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Faceless Ones animation DVD/Bluray up on Zoom

Postby andyjs » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:30 am

https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/doctor_who_the_faceless_ones_dvd

Supposedly should have been embargoed until midday in the UK.
andyjs

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Faceless Ones animation DVD/Bluray up on Zoom

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:17 pm

ericthehalfabee

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:04 pm

I see they've stuck Magpie Electricals and International Electromatics signage up at the airport now...
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Marco's Voice » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:04 pm

A very creepy and atmospheric story. The animation trailer looks to be of a very high quality.

First the excellent 'The Macra Terror' and now this! Season 4 is being blessed with top notch animation releases.
Marco's Voice

Postby shuzbot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:00 pm

Are they gonna animate the existing episodes? That would be pointless, might be worth rotoscoping them, I suppose.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby DarachAnLaoch » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 pm

I’m gonna be really pedantic here. As much as I like a lil’ retroactive reference, how is Magie Electricals still in business in 1966 when the eponymous Magpie was zapped into dust in 1953? Nah but seriously, I’m looking forward to this as I like the idea of filling in stories which have extant episodes so you can enjoy a somewhat fuller experience. I’m just baffled as to why they’re animating episodes 1 & 3 when time and money have always been said to be the reason for the faults in the Power animation and the omissions in Macra. I don’t see the sense in it.
DarachAnLaoch

Postby Servorobot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:01 pm

DarachAnLaoch wrote:I’m gonna be really pedantic here. As much as I like a lil’ retroactive reference, how is Magie Electricals still in business in 1966 when the eponymous Magpie was zapped into dust in 1953? Nah but seriously, I’m looking forward to this as I like the idea of filling in stories which have extant episodes so you can enjoy a somewhat fuller experience. I’m just baffled as to why they’re animating episodes 1 & 3 when time and money have always been said to be the reason for the faults in the Power animation and the omissions in Macra. I don’t see the sense in it.

Because they’re obsessed with colour and the extant episodes aren’t in colour.

I guess we should be grateful that they’re not a total bunch of cultural vandals and didn’t resort to colourising the existing episodes. That would have been really awful.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby bob123 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:56 pm

And here in the U.S., I suppose it will take until 2021 to get the DVD, since we won't get The Macra Terror until October. And who doesn't think that colorizing the original black and white episodes aren't a comin'. I fear that they will be, and I hope against hope that I'll be proven wrong.
bob123

Postby The Ginger Cat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 am

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby iank » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:40 am

Great news, really surprised at it being announced so soon, given Macra was like the worst kept secret ever until very late in the day.
Interesting that they're doing the extant eps, but I kind of get it. It opens the door for Abominable Snowmen (an actual snowbound Tibet, no doubt!), Wheel and Evil anyway.
Bring 'em on! :)
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby MaestroDavros » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:26 am

DarachAnLaoch wrote:I’m gonna be really pedantic here. As much as I like a lil’ retroactive reference, how is Magie Electricals still in business in 1966 when the eponymous Magpie was zapped into dust in 1953? Nah but seriously, I’m looking forward to this as I like the idea of filling in stories which have extant episodes so you can enjoy a somewhat fuller experience. I’m just baffled as to why they’re animating episodes 1 & 3 when time and money have always been said to be the reason for the faults in the Power animation and the omissions in Macra. I don’t see the sense in it.

It's long been a bit of a design in-joke, both in the show and in other media. There's even a "shop" of sorts on the Starship UK in "The Beast Below", which is set in the 33rd century. There was also a reference in the animated Power as well.
MaestroDavros

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:40 am

The Ginger Cat wrote:Trailer compared to Episode 1:

https://twitter.com/The66Ramblers/statu ... 2687342592

That's poor, but If that kind of Mary Mungo and Midge animation floats anyone's boat fair enough.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby Servorobot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:55 am

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:Trailer compared to Episode 1:

https://twitter.com/The66Ramblers/statu ... 2687342592

That's poor, but If that kind of Mary Mungo and Midge animation floats anyone's boat fair enough.

Agreed.

Thank god there isn’t much Ben and Polly in this, or will it be third time lucky in getting the likeness right? ;)
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:23 am

DarachAnLaoch wrote: I’m just baffled as to why they’re animating episodes 1 & 3 when time and money have always been said to be the reason for the faults in the Power animation and the omissions in Macra.

You'll find that pretty much everything that the Uberfans declare about the Dr Who home video range makes no sense whatsoever. :lol:

For example, for the initial DVD release of The Visitation, they refused to re-digitise all the film negs, because "it couldn't possibly be economically viable to do that for a single DVD release".

They then released a re-mastered DVD a few years later, whose selling point was "hey! We've re-digitised all the film negs". Obviously this was now economically viable because of all the fans who wanted to buy the same story on DVD twice :lol: But they didn't do the re-release on BluRay because Steve Roberts "did some tests" and declared there was no point.

And so then they eventually re-released it re-digitised on BluRay so everyone could buy it a third time! GET IN!!! :floorroll:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Servorobot » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:27 pm

There’s a screening of the animated version of The Faceless Ones at the BFI on the 29th February.

There’s also one of those Q&A thingys with Anneke.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org.uk ... -12-20.pdf

You have to scroll down a long way to find it.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby iank » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:25 pm

So a March release then?
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby Servorobot » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:21 am

iank wrote:So a March release then?

I thought that was always when it was.

I suppose we’re used to these releases being delayed so we come to expect it.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby shuzbot » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:40 pm

Nice, I look forward to this but expect I will be to busy to attend the BFI screening
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Happygolucky » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:29 pm

I'm looking forward to this release, I've preordered the steelbook, the animation isn't perfect ( far from it) but better than nothing and it's the Trought. Concerning the animating of 1 and 3 I've had a thought.
Wasn't there some damage to one of the returned episodes meaning it was missing a couple of minutes? This being the case if the audio recordings are complete then the animation of said episode would contain the extra (damaged/lost) footage, that's a bonus surely? I would prefer rotoscoped footage but that would be still short on screen time. I think it was episode 1 that's missing the footage but i will bow to superior knowledge as i am getting on a bit and forget stuff. :D
Regards HGL
Happygolucky

Next

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY