Doctor Who - The Collection - Season 26

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Re: Doctor Who - The Collection - Season 26

Postby Servorobot » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:14 am

Still waiting for Zavvi to send mine.

I blame Scotty from Marketing for this situation.

God I wish Zoom shipped here or Amazon stopped being a bunch of turnips and just sent stuff from their UK store.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby iank » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:11 am

It'll be out here soon enough.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:20 pm

Happygolucky wrote:
Please tell me that season 25 wasn't recorded in this fashion? , I won't be buying it ( when it's released) even though I love Silver Nemesis and Remembrance Of The Daleks, I'm not wasting my money?
Regards HGL

Yes it was, I believe.
Basically when JNT took them on that jolly to Spain to film 'The Two Doctors' on location (using real 16mm film cameras), they got a 'hair in the gate' and had to reshoot lots of footage.
And so JNT decided that was the last time he was ever gonna use film on Doctor Who.
Everything after that was all done on 1" video, whether in the studio or location.

1" (which the BBC started using in the mid 80s) was worse picture quality that the old 2" 'Quad' video they'd using during the 70s and early 80s. However on the plus side, it let you do more editing.
So you could get better shots and sequences that didn't look so much like a stage play. But the actual picture quality was not as good.

For some of these mid-to-late-80s Doctor Who stories, the Restoration Team will have access to the 1st generation raw video tapes (before all the editing was done), so they are able to salvage some quality by remaking all the edits and added video effects manually.
But, as ever, for some stories, the original raw tapes were thrown in the bin.
You can really see how much the quality deteriorates every time they did an edit (which meant copying from one tape to another) - eg shots where they've dubbed on laser beams etc - anyone who ever dealt with copies of home VHS video tape or music cassettes back in the 80s will be very familiar with this concept.

Back in the 70s they had to add the video FX's live in real time when they were shooting in the studio - which could make for some very clunky-looking shots, and took ages if it didn't go right the first time.
When you see the kind of insane video FX that Barry Letts was doing in something like 'The Mutants', all done 'live' in the studio in one take, it's mind-boggling!
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:22 pm

iank wrote:This is disappointing to hear. I was hoping for some improvement with GL in particular.

Well it will still look slightly better than the DVD... :D But yeah, basically still awful.
As far as I am aware, the original raw unedited video tapes of Ghostlight don't exist, so they're stuck with the transmission tapes, which look like hell.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby darnall42 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Enjoyed this set,especially the battlefield and curse of fenric VHS edits ,great that they included the Idents and the BBC Worldwide trailer. The Ghostlight workprint was good to watch too as was all the behind the scenes stuff (it was bizzare watching a B&W film version of some VHS footage -i wonder why this was made ? ) think this may be my favourite set released so far :D
darnall42

Postby Happygolucky » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:39 am

Firstly, I'd like to thank 'teleportNOW!' for his detailed reply to my earlier question, most informative. Now hair in the gate or not, The Two Doctors should be of decent quality to warrant a purchase when it's available?
Well I watched Battlefield and I must say the image quality was far superior to Ghost light, I just had to see the Brig again, what a fine part Nicholas Courtney played, he was born for the part!!.I have to say that after watching the last ever story I can see why the show was axed, good grief it's shockingly bad, nearly as bad as New Who's latest b*ll*x!!. I'm still finding it difficult to deal with Ace calling the Doctor " professor " it grinds my gears!!! I can hear Bill Hartnell every time she says it saying, " don't call me Doc!!" The early stuff is still head and shoulders above the rest. I still recommend buying this box set though, even if it means selling it later on for a massive profit, although I will make perfect copies first, I mean, I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face . :D
Regards HGL
Happygolucky

Postby professor_who » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:01 am

It arrived today! Popped it in and watched Battlefield straight away. Still a story that fails to hold my attention! Well at least the good stories are all yet to come! I also went to the final disc and watched the JNT doco. I was surprised how moved I was by it. especially the final line. Yes, I even have a newfound respect for the man.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/professorwho[/youtube]

http://andysworldjourneys.com/

Twitter: @ProfessorWho_
professor_who

Postby Servorobot » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:14 am

professor_who wrote:It arrived today! Popped it in and watched Battlefield straight away. Still a story that fails to hold my attention! Well at least the good stories are all yet to come! I also went to the final disc and watched the JNT doco. I was surprised how moved I was by it. especially the final line. Yes, I even have a newfound respect for the man.

How did you get yours so quick?

Mine only got shipped on Tuesday.

Zavvi are slower than most horses I back, :D
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby professor_who » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:27 pm

Servorobot wrote:
professor_who wrote:It arrived today! Popped it in and watched Battlefield straight away. Still a story that fails to hold my attention! Well at least the good stories are all yet to come! I also went to the final disc and watched the JNT doco. I was surprised how moved I was by it. especially the final line. Yes, I even have a newfound respect for the man.

There are a couple of ebay sellers that must get a shipload out, not sure how many they get shipped over at once. You pay overs though. Then they distribute from Australia. Fastest way I have found but I didnt realise Zavvi ship to Australia

professor_who

Postby Servorobot » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:39 am

professor_who wrote:
Servorobot wrote:

There are a couple of ebay sellers that must get a shipload out, not sure how many they get shipped over at once. You pay overs though. Then they distribute from Australia. Fastest way I have found but I didnt realise Zavvi ship to Australia

Cheers.

I’ll have a look. You pay overs with Zavvi too, although not too much (apart from the Pertwee one).

I just wish Gerry Harvey and Scotty from Marketing hadn’t screwed up our Amazon UK option, or that Zoom would get their sh*t together and ship to Australia.

Edit: Just has a quick look at eBay. Overs alright, Zavvi is cheaper but you’ll get it three weeks after release on average (still better than six weeks waiting for the local release).
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby professor_who » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:32 am

Servorobot wrote:
professor_who wrote:
Servorobot wrote:

What about postage costs? because I paid $103 for season 26 but the postage was free. At 40 quid or so, then add a bit through conversion, then add o/s shipping... I reckon it would be about the same.

Cheers.

I’ll have a look. You pay overs with Zavvi too, although not too much (apart from the Pertwee one).

I just wish Gerry Harvey and Scotty from Marketing hadn’t screwed up our Amazon UK option, or that Zoom would get their sh*t together and ship to Australia.

Edit: Just has a quick look at eBay. Overs alright, Zavvi is cheaper but you’ll get it three weeks after release on average (still better than six weeks waiting for the local release).

professor_who

Postby Servorobot » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:12 am

Season 26 cost me $83 (including postage) as will Season 14.

The good thing about Zavvi is that all their costs are in Aussie dollars.

The local release can cost up to $70, so it’s a bit more, but you are paying to have it quicker.

I’ve gone too far down the UK release road now to turn back though.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Servorobot » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:22 am

My copy turned up today.

It only took just over a week.

I may celebrate by watching the JNT documentary.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:50 am

Happygolucky wrote:Firstly, I'd like to thank 'teleportNOW!' for his detailed reply to my earlier question, most informative. Now hair in the gate or not, The Two Doctors should be of decent quality to warrant a purchase when it's available?

Sorry, only just reading this now -
and I have to deliver bad news: although all the location work on The Two Doctors was shot on film, the BBC have long since thrown all the film negatives in a huge mechanical garbage masher, set fire to them and buried the ashes in landfill. So all that's left is the 1" transmission video tapes, to which they'd transferred prints of the film by 'telecine'. So it will still look a bit crap on the BluRay :(
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:55 am

I watched the 'Special Edition' of Battlefield last night -
the picture quality is no great shakes, the acting is largely terrible (certainly from McCoy and Aldred as usual), Keff McCullough should be killed (and not humanely, but torn limb from limb, tooth by tooth, until all that's left is his nose, which they'll pour a great load of kerosine on and set fire to, so everyone can have a good laugh for a change*), the editing is bollcoks too (one minute there's a load of soldiers in one location, next there isn't), the CGI add-ons aren't toooo intrusive I guess, the 5.1 mix is nice.
Ah well. Not sure I really disliked it any less than when I watched the DVD :lol: But nobody ever said being a Dr Who fan was easy.

*not really, readers, it's just a Derek & Clive sketch. Still... ;)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:03 pm

I've been watching the 'extended workprints' of Ghost Light.
Whilst I think these have a lot of merit (as all the cut dialogue greatly assists the story at MAKING SENSE, and the cuts all appear to have been made for time rather than any performance issues),
the picture quality is BLOODY TERRIBLE - and I don't just mean on the bits salvaged from VHS: I mean the proper PAL transmission tapes. Honestly, it's barely watchable. How the hell did they get away with broadcasting this crap in 198?!?
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Thu May 14, 2020 8:35 am

one point I'd make (which I guess isn't directly related to the bluray), but I'm reading Mark Platt's novelisation of Battlefield and it's considerably better than the real thing!
'teleportNOW!'

Postby shuzbot » Thu May 14, 2020 8:49 am

You should see the writer's room extra where they are schmoozing in the pub and falling over to compliment Ben on Battlefield :D
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Thu May 14, 2020 8:50 am

I like Cartmell but he really is up his own arse with his opinions of his era
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Marco's Voice » Sat May 16, 2020 9:11 am

Not my favourite era, but I decided I wanted the full set of blu ray seasons so I purchased the US McCoy Complete Season 3 blu ray boxset. I enjoy watching Cartmel because although I think his ideas on Doctor Who are NOT really Doctor Who, at least he had ideas and gave us two really good stories under his tenure - Fenric and Remembrance. I even quite like Silver Nemesis, Survival and Dragonfire.
Marco's Voice

PreviousNext

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY