Doctor Who The Collection - S14

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Re: Doctor Who The Collection - S14

Postby Kranger » Sun May 03, 2020 7:02 am

Darren Lake wrote:
Kranger wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:Slots in very well with the existing footage especially when it's chowing down on Chang.
Talons is my favourite, along with Assassin. Can’t wait to see it for myself - if I get my copy.

Fingers crossed. Where did you order yours from?
I preordered from Zavvi on the 31st of January.

I heard they may be slower than the other online retailers, but I’m getting a little nervous now. Still, if they don’t deliver, there’s the local Australian S14 release, sometime in June.
Kranger

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Servorobot » Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 am

Kranger wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:
Kranger wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:Slots in very well with the existing footage especially when it's chowing down on Chang.
Talons is my favourite, along with Assassin. Can’t wait to see it for myself - if I get my copy.

I heard they may be slower than the other online retailers, but I’m getting a little nervous now. Still, if they don’t deliver, there’s the local Australian S14 release, sometime in June.

You’re in the same position as me.

They are slow (although they are better with Who than most other things).

I’d be surprised if it was sent before the end of the week.

Of course it gets interesting if it still hasn’t been sent and it’s up for preorder on JB’s site, which should be about a month prior to release (ie around the 17 May).

It’s annoying that we have to go through all of this for every release.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Kranger » Sun May 03, 2020 10:27 am

Servorobot wrote:
Kranger wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:
Kranger wrote:

You’re in the same position as me.

They are slow (although they are better with Who than most other things).

I’d be surprised if it was sent before the end of the week.

Of course it gets interesting if it still hasn’t been sent and it’s up for preorder on JB’s site, which should be about a month prior to release (ie around the 17 May).

It’s annoying that we have to go through all of this for every release.
Yes, it’s a pain in the ***.

I’ve also preordered the S12 reissue from them too. Zavvi keep pushing the date back (now it’s 4th of May) because of problems with the suppliers.
Kranger

Postby Denny Haynes » Sun May 03, 2020 5:39 pm

Obviously there is a bigger demand for these box sets and scalpers are taking advantage of the fact.

My order still says arriving May 12th yet others have theirs already, why is the question to both scenarios.
Denny Haynes

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue May 05, 2020 5:54 pm

Amazon delivered mine today. :alien:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Darren Lake » Tue May 05, 2020 11:22 pm

The film sequences for Mandragora are absolutely filthy. I know they probably don’t exist in their original form but it looks as though there’s been no cleanup done whatsoever at any point. Shame.
Darren Lake

Postby Kranger » Wed May 06, 2020 2:15 am

Darren Lake wrote:The film sequences for Mandragora are absolutely filthy. I know they probably don’t exist in their original form but it looks as though there’s been no cleanup done whatsoever at any point. Shame.
How about the studio material? People that have received their sets say it looks much better.
Kranger

Postby professor_who » Wed May 06, 2020 2:41 am

I ordered my on Simply. They havent notified me it's been sent as yet so a little concerned. Anyone else order with them and has it shipped yet? thanks
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/professorwho[/youtube]

http://andysworldjourneys.com/

Twitter: @ProfessorWho_
professor_who

Postby professor_who » Wed May 06, 2020 2:47 am

Genuinely how can they have to cancel PRE ORDERS??? how can they not even make enough copies to cover these???? What the actual &^%$
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/professorwho[/youtube]

http://andysworldjourneys.com/

Twitter: @ProfessorWho_
professor_who

Postby The Ginger Cat » Wed May 06, 2020 3:26 am

professor_who wrote:I ordered my on Simply. They havent notified me it's been sent as yet so a little concerned. Anyone else order with them and has it shipped yet? thanks

Yeah I ordered mine from Simply. I got a bit worried on Sunday so I logged on their site to check up on the status of my order, it said order fullfilled. Wondered why they hadn't sent an email, checked my spam folder, low and behold there it was sent out on the Saturday saying they'd accepted my order, getting it ready and shipping it out, blah, blah. Haven't received it yet though. Think Simply have always been a bit on the slow side delivering stuff.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Wed May 06, 2020 3:28 am

Season 14 Trailer | The Collection | Doctor Who

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Spam Fritter » Wed May 06, 2020 7:51 am

professor_who wrote:Genuinely how can they have to cancel PRE ORDERS??? how can they not even make enough copies to cover these???? What the actual &^%$

I think some online retailers took down the preorders when it became apparent their allocation was taken.

Simply still had it for preorder after everyone else removed theirs.

At a guess they just took too many orders to fulfill.

Clearly, looking at eBay, sellers realised these sets are gold and people ordered multiple copies. They sell for over £100. If you check the sellers many have loads of copies listed.

If there was a re-issue plan, say using the slimline case, at least it would help matters.

The lesson here is to order early from Amazon/Zoom etc.

At times like this I start to believe Teleport Now's views on Uber fans......
Spam Fritter

Postby Kranger » Wed May 06, 2020 9:11 am

Spam Fritter wrote:
professor_who wrote:Genuinely how can they have to cancel PRE ORDERS??? how can they not even make enough copies to cover these???? What the actual &^%$

I think some online retailers took down the preorders when it became apparent their allocation was taken.

Simply still had it for preorder after everyone else removed theirs.

At a guess they just took too many orders to fulfill.

Clearly, looking at eBay, sellers realised these sets are gold and people ordered multiple copies. They sell for over £100. If you check the sellers many have loads of copies listed.

If there was a re-issue plan, say using the slimline case, at least it would help matters.

The lesson here is to order early from Amazon/Zoom etc.

At times like this I start to believe Teleport Now's views on Uber fans......
The LE nature only fosters elitism and attracts scalpers.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the well-connected Uber’s are buying up multiples to financially exploit their fellow (lower-tier) fans on eBay. Scumbags.
Kranger

Postby shuzbot » Wed May 06, 2020 9:32 am

Quite frankly, I blame the morons that encourage this by paying the inflated prices in the first place. The BBC should clearly be pressing a larger quantity though.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Wed May 06, 2020 9:54 am

shuzbot wrote:My order has been dispatched by zoom, it's just in the hands of the courier's not to f*ck it up now

Yep, it was apparently dispatched on the 29th of April and nothing here. Great, so don't bank on receiving anything even if you do order early.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby 66fan » Wed May 06, 2020 10:54 am

Kranger wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:The film sequences for Mandragora are absolutely filthy. I know they probably don’t exist in their original form but it looks as though there’s been no cleanup done whatsoever at any point. Shame.
How about the studio material? People that have received their sets say it looks much better.

Having been very disappointed with the 1" tape seasons, I was happy to see that 14 is far better. Mandragora looks very good due to the codec allowing the bandwidth space to breathe.

The colours and image are solid. The filmed footage was baked into the master tapes so there is not a great deal that could be done, aside from some DVNR work. There was obviously a hair on the lens of the film camera in certain scenes which is now more apparent than ever on Tom's face in the forest. The colours are again rich and to be fair I don't think the film looks any worse than other shows of the time.
66fan

Postby Kranger » Wed May 06, 2020 10:56 am

shuzbot wrote:Quite frankly, I blame the morons that encourage this by paying the inflated prices in the first place. The BBC should clearly be pressing a larger quantity though.
Agreed. For some people money is no object and the eBay lice prey on that.

As the LE range progresses, it’ll get harder and harder to collect them all, as people will preorder multiples. Sooner or later some will give up in frustration.

Making these LE is a mistake imo.
Kranger

Postby shuzbot » Wed May 06, 2020 2:53 pm

Miwk is selling their stock of Season 14 at £155 a time and having a good old gloat about it.

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Spam Fritter » Wed May 06, 2020 4:37 pm

shuzbot wrote:Quite frankly, I blame the morons that encourage this by paying the inflated prices in the first place. The BBC should clearly be pressing a larger quantity though.

Totally agree regarding the BBC, produce more, saturate the market and end the eBay monopoly.

As for morons paying the prices, that's collectors for you, and if you had been collecting these releases you would be desperate if you missed out on one. The BBC proved a long time ago that a Dr.Who fan is easily parted with their money.....
Spam Fritter

Postby darnall42 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:34 pm

the beeb know about these scumbag scalpers though and don't really care one way or the other so long as they get the sale and they think that by having such a small number of sets for release it keeps the hardcore fans even more determined to order the very second the next set is announced ,having a second release of any set would damage this stratagy which is why it took 2 years of fans starting petitions and sending e-mails to get them to re-release S12.Glad i'm giving up on these sets because i can't be bothered hunting down these sets for the next 19 sets released (and they are talking about adding Nu Who to the schedule)
darnall42

PreviousNext

Return to DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY