OBVERSE BOOKS: Anyone Read/Collect These?

Discussion of Doctor Who books, from annuals to Target, Virgin and BBC Books to Fanzines and the official Doctor Who Magazine

OBVERSE BOOKS: Anyone Read/Collect These?

Postby Cygnus Prime » Thu May 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Anyone know much about the Obverse ranges of Books or collect them?

https://obversebooks.co.uk/

Any good? :?

Dave Ringo gives his review of Hell Bent by Alyssa Franke, recently released as part of Obverse Book's Black Archive series.

An audio recording of my panel from Kansas City Comic Con about the history of Faction Paradox on its 20th Anniversary.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: OBVERSE BOOKS: Anyone Read/Collect These?

Postby shuzbot » Thu May 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Paradox Faction are supposed to be quite good, but the audios they are based on are better: http://www.kaldorcity.com/orders.html#

The Black Archive series is frustratingly hit and miss, which is why I gave up on them. Skip anything by Paul Driscoll, it will make your eyes bleed.

As I said in the other thread, Simon Guerrier's entry for Evil of the Daleks is awesome and thoroughly researched.

Thing is, many books talk about the historical context of the universal mummy films or egyptology instead of about Pyramids of Mars. A lot of people liked the Massacre one by James Cooray Smith, but all I remember is him talking about the history of the time, or in the Ghostlight one the author started talking about Edge of Destruction.

If you can't fill a 100 pages on just the story you are focusing on, then the idea is flawed. Simon Butcher's one on Image of Fendahl was good. Also, they do get a bit PC which doesn't usually bother me, but... everybody has their limits.

They are based on the BFI range of books that closely examines films but treat each story as literature rather than visual medium. I guess they can't afford photos?
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Thu May 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Cyggy, you know you want to: http://www.kaldorcity.com/audios/other/timewaster.html

It has Paul Darrow in and it's the best time travel story you will ever hear. :twisted:

PM me, if you want me to send you a copy.

PS this is also excellent: http://www.kaldorcity.com/features/zenith.html
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri May 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks for the info Shuz. I definitely intend to check out the Kaldor City/Boucher stuff first (after reading about it in the BLAKE'S 7: LIBERATION book....

... what with the presence of Carnell proving that B7 and WHO are set in the same universe. Then may well move onto stuff like Time Wasters.

It all gets a bit convoluted to me though, in the sense of how the Boucher world and various offshoots all fit together, such as the BBC book Corpse Marker, etc.

And I know that Darrow is playing someone called Iago. A thinly disguised - copyright avoiding Avon? Or a genuinely different character altogether?

I haven't got a clue what the Faction Paradox is about though. I know that Lawrence Miles invented it(?), but beyond that I am lost.

The ZENITH fanzine looks great too. If only B7 had always had a regular magazine that didn't fold as soon as the BBC said "We're repeating the 4th season in 1983 and that's your lot". Damn you Marvel! :(

Are the Black Archive books tending to be just one person's (sometimes) highly debatable interpretation of a particular story? Not that I have anything against that. I love it when a person comes at a story from a totally fresh and different direction than anyone before them. Also do you know how many BA tv stories have been covered to date?

The above Cushing books look a lot of fun - and I notice a novelisation of the (recorded and then lost) Cushing Radio pilot.

THE LOST PETER CUSHING DR.WHO RADIO SERIES: Pilot Episode:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7977
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to DOCTOR WHO IN PRINT