THE LIFE AND SCANDALOUS TIMES OF J.N.T.

Discussion of Doctor Who books, from annuals to Target, Virgin and BBC Books to Fanzines and the official Doctor Who Magazine

Re: THE LIFE AND SCANDALOUS TIMES OF J.N.T.

Postby OptikaNET » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 pm

My own Tupennyworth...

I don't think JNT was harmful to the show and should be forgotten at all, I think that's unfair. That JNT did not understand character and storytelling is well established, but that was not his role and mostly he gave people like Cartmell their head (his widely publicised rows with Sawards notwithstanding but I don't think Saward's ideas on the show were always in the show's best interests either!!!).

I think JNT inherited the job of reigning Tom Baker in. Tom, brilliant though he is, often could not seperate in his mind what was good for the series/character and what was good for his ego - especially when drinking. Sadly, as he said, the Doctor was Tom Baker so he began to think that anything he wanted to do was good for the character. Yes, we know you've read the script and know the line, but the audience haven't so if you don't read the line fully, the audience won't hear it!!! etc...

Graham Williams, as we've heard, didn't dare reign him in, and all that did far more damage to the series, in my opinion, than JNT ever did. Doctor Who had come out of a Golden Age during Letts/Hinchcliffe - both of whom controlled their leading man - and then dwindled away to a mockery of itself in the Williams era. JNT pulled it back from that (although, ironically, this made Tom morose which in turn killed the character that the remaining audience were used to...) but the - we must remember - in the very next season the powers-that-be pulled Doctor Who from the Saturday night slot it had enjoyed for 18 years, and set it against the ratings juggernaut that was Coronation Street - and left it there except for Season Twenty Two and Twenty Three.

I think it was all that which damaged the brand so fatally, not anything particularly that JNT did (although that costume was a serious mistake...)

Kind Regards
Dave
OptikaNET

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby abominable snowman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:26 pm

It's the 50th this year and the tabloids will pick out anything salacious in this book and ruin the anniversary with it.
abominable snowman

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:54 am

i hardly think so. beyond Dr Who fans the letters 'J-N-T' mean nothing.

And the shows bigger than that. whatever JNT is revealed to have done (and there may be nothing salacious in it, we haven't read the book), that will reflect on him as an individual, not the show.

And Optika you are quite right. the JNT era should not be forgotten. but this book, i think, focuses more on JNT the man, rather than JNT as producer.
RANTING MANIAC

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:23 am

already old news. all those other celebs that have been charged; nothing like the todo that went on with Saville. and these are well known celebs, let alone some ex BBC producer.

Dr Who had a glorious existence before JNT, and has had a glorious existence after JNT.

no, don't worry chaps. The celebrations will be glorious :D
RANTING MANIAC

Postby Deleted User 3183 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:12 pm

abominable snowman wrote:It's the 50th this year and the tabloids will pick out anything salacious in this book and ruin the anniversary with it.

That is clearly a possibility.
Deleted User 3183

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 am

the only thing that will be ruined will be the reputation of JNT, if he did anything wrong on BBC premises.

he will be seen to have letdown 'Dr Who', and it will be HIS name that will be blackened, IF the book does reveal anything sleazy.
RANTING MANIAC

Postby Deleted User 3183 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Well it should only be a couple of months until all will be revealed.
Deleted User 3183

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 pm

when will it be revealed?
RANTING MANIAC

Postby Deleted User 3183 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 pm

All will be revealed in April. You'll have to wait until then and buy a copy. :)
Deleted User 3183

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:04 pm

the title?
RANTING MANIAC

Postby Deleted User 3183 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm

I still don't like the title. But that's what the author has called it.
Deleted User 3183

Postby chesterfield » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 pm

RANTING MANIAC wrote:The Co=Ordinator, do tell us, do you know anything about which Ian Levine insinuates concerning JNT? that is to say something improper went on between JNT and certain fans?

Because that's what Levine seems to be saying, without actually saying it. If Ian Levine is a blabber mouth this is the one thing he has kept secret, to this very day...!

I bet the fans who spilled the beans about what went on in this book are the same fans who profess to love the show. If sleaze gets in to the papers and spoils the anniversary and puts the show's future in jeopardy then WE WILL ALL KNOW WHO TO BLAME.
chesterfield

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 pm

i retract
RANTING MANIAC

Postby Deleted User 3183 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 pm

RANTING MANIAC wrote:in the first place, we don't even know if ANYTHING vulgar is included in the book

There's so much you/we don't know.
Deleted User 3183

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 pm

retracted
RANTING MANIAC

Postby Deleted User 3183 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 am

You wonder as much as you like. There's many a slip twixt cup and lip.
Deleted User 3183

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 am

RANTING MANIAC wrote:remember when Dr Finklestone, formerly of the REstoration Team, was found to to be a pervert, well, did that end the DVD range? was his criminality the fault of the Restoration Team? no and no.

Wasn't that when anything Doctor Who related used to make page 34 in the papers? It's a different story today. Anything on DW or anything damaging to the BBC is big news.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:55 am

retracted
RANTING MANIAC

Postby Mike Nuttall » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:23 am

RANTING MANIAC wrote:my, what a turnabout. is your smugness down to knowing you and your chums go safely unmentioned? whose told you what i wonder? have you been given assurances that certain events/persons are not in the book?

You couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. Tony is one of the most trusted and well respected individuals in Doctor Who fandom - and you can take that to the bank.

Kajaboy wrote:It's a different story today. Anything on DW or anything damaging to the BBC is big news.

Quoted for truth.

RANTING MANIAC wrote:then why isn't the Finklestone episode being raked up and reviled? all these BBC charges are older than his misdeeds.

The difference between Finklestone and Nathan-Turner is the former is an obscure little known individual, unknown even to most fans before his dubious activities came to light, and the latter was the well known producer of what is now one of the corporation's flagship programmes, for nearly a decade.

chesterfield wrote:I bet the fans who spilled the beans about what went on in this book are the same fans who profess to love the show. If sleaze gets in to the papers and spoils the anniversary and puts the show's future in jeopardy then WE WILL ALL KNOW WHO TO BLAME.

You are right: we will.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Deleted User 3183 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 am

RANTING MANIAC wrote:is your smugness down to knowing you and your chums go safely unmentioned? whose told you what i wonder? have you been given assurances that certain events/persons are not in the book?

You haven't got a bloody clue what you're talking about. So I would suggest you stop voluntarily.
Deleted User 3183

PreviousNext

Return to DOCTOR WHO IN PRINT