THE LIFE AND SCANDALOUS TIMES OF J.N.T.

Discussion of Doctor Who books, from annuals to Target, Virgin and BBC Books to Fanzines and the official Doctor Who Magazine

Re: THE LIFE AND SCANDALOUS TIMES OF J.N.T.

Postby greystone_06 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:54 pm

LizR wrote:I'm going to use "pre-Madonna" in a crossword clue, that is rather clever.

At least somebody found a use for it :floorroll:
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby bobmcpherson » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:02 am

(The casting of a limited ‘character’ actor in the main role despite the fact it was bloody obvious to a blind, deaf, mute that Jonathan Powell was right about McCoy’s inability to ‘do the serious stuff’, and why? Because JNT liked his original name!! The mind boggles… no wonder Powell wanted Turner to remain in charge of the show. He knew damn well that Turner (publicist extraordinaire that he undoubtedly was), was creatively moribund.)

The above is interesting to me because I just never could warm up to McCoy..(Ace too for that matter) I always felt he was doing a bad Troughton impersonation and that he literally brought nothing to the table.

Maybe the above was why. He had nothing to bring???
bobmcpherson

Postby bobmcpherson » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:16 am

By the way, I still find it amazing that people who bring us such joy are almost invariably people I would not leave alone in a room with my dog.

Mysterious.
bobmcpherson

Postby Spam Fritter » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:09 pm

I have only just got around to reading the thread regarding this book. I was blissfully unaware of the press and tabloid interest on publication.

I read the book about six months ago, and found it an very interesting read, though not 100% impressed with Marsden's writing style or certain phrases he used, but still glad I read it.

I didn't learn to much that I wasn't aware of via rumour and gossip. Though was surprised at the amount of 80's 'Uber' fans/ fan 'Glitterati' that are gay, and I imagine it helped just to be drinking and moving in the same circles as the producer regardless of any favours asked or supplied

I was a regular at local groups and conventions in the 80's/90's and met various people and heard various stories regarding the approaches made towards male fans by members of the convention circuit, that includes guests and DWAS exec of the time. I do know of one guy who had numerous advances made to him, even though it was well known he was straight. He may have even enjoyed the attention.

As with all anecdotes and rumour there will be truth and nonsense, so I have decided not to judge either Turner or Dowie on the book, but on the production. Which was hit and miss, and over time stagnated into the pantomime it became.

I found the book to be very balanced between the many people who loved Turner and those who loathed him. Like most individuals he has light and dark sides to him, and at worst he was promiscuous. So he wanted to put his cock into as many things as he could. Tell me how many musicians and footballers that haven't wanted the same thing.
Spam Fritter

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:10 am

Seems a revised/updated version of this book is due to be released this coming December, going by the new title of "Totally Tasteless: The Life of John Nathan-Turner". After reading this thread, I'm tempted to pick this one up just to see what all the fuss is a about. :lol:

Anyhow, if it takes your fancy, details can be found on MIWK's Facebook here and it can be ordered from here.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 pm

It is a fantastic book and the stuff about "doable barkers" isn't as salacious as you may think, although the behaviour of JN-T and Gary Downie, and of certain fans is not pleasant to read. To be honest though, I was left wondering exactly which members of the cast and crew did, and still do according to the book, pick up fans at conventions and use them for sex.

Especially the female ones ;-)
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby Michael_7677 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:53 am

chesterfield wrote:

This review is spot on. Some of the wilder claims made in this book are made by people who have proved themselves to be unreliable in the past, all with various personal axes to grind against JNT. Everyone should read this review.

Who is AR that he mentions at the end?
Formally known as 'The_6th_Doctor'
Michael_7677

Postby shuzbot » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Link isn't working for me at mo, but it may be Adrian Rigelsford
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Michael_7677 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:30 pm

shuzbot wrote:Link isn't working for me at mo, but it may be Adrian Rigelsford

What did he do wrong?
Formally known as 'The_6th_Doctor'
Michael_7677

Previous

Return to DOCTOR WHO IN PRINT