THE LIFE AND SCANDALOUS TIMES OF J.N.T.

Discussion of Doctor Who books, from annuals to Target, Virgin and BBC Books to Fanzines and the official Doctor Who Magazine

Re: THE LIFE AND SCANDALOUS TIMES OF J.N.T.

Postby Deleted User 3183 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 pm

ianj wrote:According to dr who the 80s,viewing figures fell to 1 1/2 million at one point.

That's totally wrong Ian.
Deleted User 3183

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 pm

ianj wrote:...sexual favours( the likes of which arent in the book) .....For instance,is there any mention of Matthew Waterhouse?

well ianj, you might as well tell us what you know. Cats out of the bag now. :lol:
RANTING MANIAC

Postby ianj » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:47 pm

The Co=Ordinator wrote:
ianj wrote:According to dr who the 80s,viewing figures fell to 1 1/2 million at one point.

That's totally wrong Ian.

Sorry if its incorrect; I was thinking off of the top of my head; I will dig the book out , the viewing figures did go very low though
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby ianj » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Sorted !
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby Kajaboy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:49 pm

ianj wrote:The book helps to explain why Dr Who fell to crap in the 1980s, and Ive always held the view that jnt was crap,and thats why the bbc wouldnt move him on,or help their programme.It reinforces certain points that I already knew.The bbc,like many other firms,made a mistake in allowing jnt to train as a producer,and,like many other firms,would not admit they made a mistake in promoting him.As a sop,they offered him one of the last Bergerac episodes,not caring how it would turn out anyway as it was finishing.Because of jnt,the programme turned to crap and was cancelled twice in a few years.It,was a laughing,stock amongst the viewing public by then.It has lost its family audience,and only the young kids were watching,and not many of them.According to dr who the 80s,viewing figures fell to 3 1/2 million at one point.It was a disaster compared with what had come before.
Loved milking the show for the freebie trips to the usa,though,letting american fans meet actors,or see clips before we did,take backhanders,sexual favours( the likes of which arent in the book) ,blackmail,rages etc.
No one liked him at the beeb.He was unemployable outside of them,and they had xreated a rod for their own backs.I don't have a problem with this book at all,if anything,its too restrained.For instance,is there any mention of Matthew Waterhouse?

I disagree with much of what you say here but that aside, the problem isn't with the book as such but the timing of it. The 50th anniversary when all eyes will be on the show anyway and right after the whole Jimmy Saville fiasco. This could potentially do a lot of damage to shows image.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby ianj » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Yes, you are right.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Well it hasn't tarnished the shows image in your eyes has it, ianj? and you know far worse than what we're all going to know in May.

you see, there's a distinction between the broadcast programs and the making of them. one is fantasy and one is reality. do you you really think people are so dumb as to not make the distinction? frankly, knowing JNT had sex in his BBC office doesn't detract one minute of my enjoyment of Caves of Androzani. see what i mean?
RANTING MANIAC

Postby Kajaboy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 pm

RANTING MANIAC wrote:Well it hasn't tarnished the shows image in your eyes has it, ianj? and you know far worse than what we're all going to know in May.

you see, there's a distinction between the broadcast programs and the making of them. one is fantasy and one is reality. do you you really think people are so dumb as to not make the distinction? frankly, knowing JNT had sex in his BBC office doesn't detract one minute of my enjoyment of Caves of Androzani. see what i mean?

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. If it did the BBC would have had no need to pull countless episodes of Top Of The Pops from the BBC 4 repeats and could have screened Gary Glitter's stuff on the early evening screenings instead of hiding him on the 2am repeats. What we as fans think of the show is besides the point. The papers could turn this into a huge drama that will do nothing good for the shows reputation and at the moment certain papers seem to have a grudge against the BBC and this could just put fuel on an already uncontrollable fire.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby LizR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:24 am

Well, I hope the current lot haven't been up to any behind the scenes hanky-panky.
:whistle1:
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby OptikaNET » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:25 am

Surely that would only affect repeats of 1980's Who, which aren't happening anyway!!! Rather than the current series which has no JNT involvement whatsoever, based on a Franchise that JNT did not create and was simply the "Caretaker" of for a while...

Kind Regards
Dave
OptikaNET

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:21 am

OptikaNET wrote:Surely that would only affect repeats of 1980's Who, which aren't happening anyway!!! Rather than the current series which has no JNT involvement whatsoever, based on a Franchise that JNT did not create and was simply the "Caretaker" of for a while...

Kind Regards
Dave

The BBC, and anyone else for that matter, have been reluctant to repeat anything pre 2005 so that's kind of a redundant point. Certain newspapers are still having a field day painting the BBC as some kind of Babylon sex pit. This is not going to help the BBC in any way. With the 50th Anniversary coming up I would assume there will be lots of publicity events coming up and the last thing we want is hacks asking endless questions about this book. If any of the papers latch onto this it will open the floodgates. We have all heard rumours about various cast and crew members from the 70's and 80's and if this takes off it wont be long before people are selling stories all over the place.
Kajaboy

Postby Allons-y » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 am

LizR wrote:Well, I hope the current lot haven't been up to any behind the scenes hanky-panky.
:whistle1:

As long as they continue to make Doctor Who to a reasonable standard, I don't really care
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby OptikaNET » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Kajaboy wrote:
OptikaNET wrote:Surely that would only affect repeats of 1980's Who, which aren't happening anyway!!! Rather than the current series which has no JNT involvement whatsoever, based on a Franchise that JNT did not create and was simply the "Caretaker" of for a while...

Kind Regards
Dave

The BBC, and anyone else for that matter, have been reluctant to repeat anything pre 2005 so that's kind of a redundant point. Certain newspapers are still having a field day painting the BBC as some kind of Babylon sex pit. This is not going to help the BBC in any way. With the 50th Anniversary coming up I would assume there will be lots of publicity events coming up and the last thing we want is hacks asking endless questions about this book. If any of the papers latch onto this it will open the floodgates. We have all heard rumours about various cast and crew members from the 70's and 80's and if this takes off it wont be long before people are selling stories all over the place.

I'm sure any furore will last only as long as it takes Bieber to throw another strop, or some celebrity to be caught snorting coke in the toilets...

Probably about 20 Minutes then...

Kind Regards
Dave
OptikaNET

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:37 pm

precisely, OptikaNET. precisely.
RANTING MANIAC

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm sorry, have you been in a coma for the last 6 months? In case you have let me fill you in. There once was a man called Jimmy Savile who worked at the BBC. It turns out he wasn't a very nice man and since October last year we have heard about very little else. Anyone who worked at the BBC that so much as commented on a woman's legs has found themselves splashed across the front of newspapers and all over ITV news.

I hope it passes without comment I really do. But given the climate we are in and the bias against, and hatred towards, the BBC from certain media outlets I can't see that happening.
Kajaboy

Postby OptikaNET » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Jimmy Saville was a major celebrity who presented pop shows, saturday night tv and was a guest presenter of many programmes over several decades. A household name and a trusted figure who has majorly betrayed the public trust, as well as being aided by the blind eye turned by authorities that should have protected the public, and then - to top it all off - the BBC tried to sweep an expose under the carpet.

JNT was a producer that even most Doctor Who fans who've joined us since 2005 have almost certainly never heard of. A man who, beyond Doctor Who, has had no public impact whatsoever. A nonentity.

I don't feel that I'm the person who hasn't been paying attention here...

:twisted:

Kind Regards
Dave
OptikaNET

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 pm

If it had been the producer of almost any other show I would agree. But this is DOCTOR WHO. Anything relating to DW is big news at the moment. Things that 10 years ago would have got half an inch in the title tattle columns now get a full page with plenty of pictures. And heaven knows they will have plenty of pictures of JNT to pick from. You only have to look at the difference in the size of the obituaries recently compared to the late 90's and early 2000's to see the change.

And you think a load of muck raking from a sacked children's TV producer is going to go unnoticed?
Kajaboy

Postby LizR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:38 am

Allons-y wrote:
LizR wrote:Well, I hope the current lot haven't been up to any behind the scenes hanky-panky.

As long as they continue to make Doctor Who to a reasonable standard, I don't really care

If they made Doctor Who to a reasonable standard.... :roll:

But no, I don't care either, except insofar as it might cause problems for the continued existence of the programme. I'm not sure I could cope without having something to moan about online. :evil:

Mind you, HIGNFY survived Angus Deayton getting caught in some sort of scandal.........can't remember the detail........by the cunning device of having the presenter regenerate every week!
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Allons-y » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:44 am

LizR wrote:If they made Doctor Who to a reasonable standard.... :roll:

Well it hasn't descended to the depths it did in Colin Baker's tenure, so I'm going to say it's reasonable (not perfect mind you).

LizR wrote: But no, I don't care either, except insofar as it might cause problems for the continued existence of the programme. I'm not sure I could cope without having something to moan about online. :evil:

I have no arguments there.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby LizR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:01 am

Allons-y wrote:
LizR wrote:If they made Doctor Who to a reasonable standard.... :roll:

Well it hasn't descended to the depths it did in Colin Baker's tenure, so I'm going to say it's reasonable (not perfect mind you).

THat's probably true. I've only see a few bits from that dark period in the show's history. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that RTD and SM feel that because they've improved the show a bit since then (allegedly) "that's all right, then."

Personally I'd rather they'd improved on how it was in the 60s and 70s, if that's possible, but no sign of that as yet (except in terms of sfx).

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

PreviousNext

Return to DOCTOR WHO IN PRINT