Doctor Who Magazine

Discussion of Doctor Who books, from annuals to Target, Virgin and BBC Books to Fanzines and the official Doctor Who Magazine

Doctor Who Magazine

Postby THE DALEK SUPREME » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 am

The award-winning Richard Curtis, writer of Vincent and the Doctor, talks exclusively about his forthcoming episode in DWM 422...

“It was a joy working on something my kids love,” says Richard. “During the summer I was writing it, we had lots of prints of Van Gogh paintings up round the house – and a board with index cards going through the plot, scene by scene – and both of my big kids came up with ideas…”

Stonehenge and beyond!
As well and Vincent and the Doctor, DWM also previews all the remaining episodes of the series, with exclusive interviews and photos! Go house hunting as we speak to writer Gareth Roberts about The Lodger, which guest stars James Corden; then visit Stonehenge in Roman times as head writer Steven Moffat reveals what’s coming up in the season’s finale – The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang…

New York, New York!
Steven Moffat tells us exclusively what happened when he joined Matt Smith and Karen Gillan to promote the new series in the Big Apple – and what ‘whisking’, giraffes and babies have to do with the world of Doctor Who – in the latest Production Notes!

The Welsh valleys!
DWM catches up with Chris Chibnall, writer of the latest thrilling adventure, The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, and finds out how and why the Silurians were revived for the twenty-first century. Plus, Meera Syal, who stars as Nasreen Chaudry, tells us about her experience of working on the show – and how her expectations were more than met…

Lush jungles and cascading falls!
The Doctor and Amy realise that a change isn’t always as good as a rest in Part Two of the latest full-colour comic strip, Supernature, by Jonathan Morris with art by Mike Collins. As Amy continues to mutate, the Doctor goes exploring, in search of a cure…

The canals of Venice!
DWM visits Croatia and goes behind the scenes of The Vampires of Venice, with exclusive interviews with Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill (Rory) and Helen McCrory (Rosanna), executive producer Beth Willis and producer Tracie Simpson!

Upper Leadworth!
Toby Jones, the Dream Lord himself, talks candidly to DWM about his bizarre role in Amy’s Choice – and on whether his character could return to haunt the Doctor in the future…

Northampton!
It’s all aboard, as DWM joins the Wengerbus! Follow Matt Smith and Karen Gillan as Matt revisits his old school in Northampton as part of the Doctor Who tour, and discover what life is really like on the road…

Deep, dark caves and the bottom of the sea!
Enter a world of Cave-Monsters, Sea Devils and savage dinosaurs as the Watcher tells you everything you need to know (and discovers quite a few surprises!) about homo reptilia – the Silurians!

Victorian England!
Deborah Watling, who played companion Victoria Waterfield in the 1960s, tells us what she thinks about the current series, the pressures of writing her autobiography and meeting her fans in Who on Earth is…

Plus!
All the latest official news, reviews, previews, competitions and much, much more!

Tour the world from the comfort of your armchair with DWM 422 – out now, price £4.20!

With thanks to Tom Spilsbury, Editor, Doctor Who Magazine.
THE DALEK SUPREME

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Doctor Who Magazine

Postby THE DALEK SUPREME » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:58 am

DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE EXPLODES IN ISSUE 423!

Prepare for THE BIG BANG on Saturday as DWM goes on set, braves the darkness of the Underhenge and talks to the people behind the astonishing finale of Doctor Who – including stars MATT SMITH and KAREN GILLAN, head writer STEVEN MOFFAT, director TOBY HAYNES and monster maker NEILL GORTON!

We ask Steven just what, after the jaw-dropping events of THE PANDORICA OPENS, could possibly happen next? “Amy’s dead at the hands of the man she loves,” he considers. “ The TARDIS is burning and River with it, and every star in the universe is exploding at every moment in history. Any other hero would be stumped. Fortunately, you are watching Doctor Who…”

Also in DWM 423…

IT’S PAYBACK TIME!
We know what Steven Moffat thinks of the stars of Doctor Who – but what do they think of him? Executive Producer PIERS WENGER asks MATT SMITH and KAREN GILLAN what they really make of ‘the Mofferator’ in a very different PRODUCTION NOTES!

NEIGHBOURS FROM HELL!
It was the unlikeliest flat share story ever – but THE LODGER could have been even stranger! DWM catches up with writer GARETH ROBERTS, who tells us exclusively how he came up with his latest script – and what incredible ideas didn’t make it onto TV. Plus, DWM chats candidly on set to the stars of the show, MATT SMITH and JAMES CORDEN!

IT’S ONLY NATURAL!
It’s all change for the TARDIS team as the Doctor and Amy uncover the dark secret deep within an alien jungle – but at what price? And will the Time Lord and Pond ever be the same again? Find out in SUPERNATURE Part 3, written by Jonathan Morris with art by Mike Collins.

LIVING IN THE PLASTIC AGE!
They could be plastic, anything plastic – or they could look just like you! Join the Watcher as he reveals everything you need to know about the sinister Autons in the latest of his essential in-depth guides!

TURN TO STONE!
Dalek operator Barnaby Edwards talks exclusively to DWM about his years of experience in operating the various designs of the universe’s most malevolent monsters – including the brand new stone Dalek!

EVERY VOTE COUNTS!
It’s your chance to let everyone know what you thought of the latest season, as DWM gives you the opportunity to rate the episodes in its annual season poll!

REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL!
This’ll bring a smile to your face! DWM travels back in time to the 1980s as THE HAPPINESS PATROL is put under the spotlight in THE FACT OF FICTION. Oooh, a little bit of politics!

PLUS! All the latest official news, previews and reviews of all the latest DVDs and audios releases, prize-winning competitions for the cream of Doctor Who merchandise and much, much more…

FREE! This issue comes with a giant-sized, double-sided poster, depicting the Daleks on one side, and the Doctor and Amy on the other!

The universe may have ended, but DWM goes on! Get issue 423 from all good newsagents & supermarkets from Thursday 24 June for just £4.20!

THE DALEK SUPREME

Postby Mike Nuttall » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:22 am

THERE’S A WEDDING PARTY IN DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE – AND YOU’RE INVITED!

In an exclusive interview, DWM talks to ARTHUR DARVILL, aka Rory Williams, about what the future might hold for the new Mr Pond. How does Arthur feel about potentially becoming a regular next series?

“Fingers crossed! If that does happen, then I’m really interested to know what happens to Rory and Amy’s relationship, and also how the relationship between the three of them works. Because there’s obviously been a big change to Rory after waiting 2000 years...!”

PLUS!

THE WEDDING ALBUM
TOBY HAYNES, director of The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, takes DWM readers on a journey through the making of the epic season finale, with exclusive photos revealing how he brought the script to life…

BADLY DRAWN BOY?
In his most candid interview ever, MATTHEW WATERHOUSE tells DWM what it was really like being Adric in Doctor Who in the 1980s – and the many challenges he faced both in front of and behind the camera…

THE WEDDING PRESENT!
He wears a top hat now – top hats are cool! DWM catch up for a candid chat with the Doctor himself, actor MATT SMITH, about his hopes for the next season, the forthcoming Christmas Special and Jo Grant’s mini-skirts!

LET’S TWIST AGAIN!
STEVEN MOFFAT, Doctor Who’s head writer and executive producer, names names and lets slip a secret or two about the next series, as he takes a rollercoaster ride in the latest Production Notes!

DANCE FEVER!
The Doctor and Amy find themselves slave to the rhythm in PLANET BOLLYWOOD!, a brand new comic strip by Jonathan Morris, with art by Roger Langridge!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!
The Fact of Fiction takes a trip back to the swinging sixties, and discovers that there’s more than just megalomaniac computers and massive metal monsters in the groundbreaking First Doctor adventure, THE WAR MACHINES. Groovy!

EVERYONE’S A WINNER BABY!
What were the very best Doctor Who DVD, audio and book releases of 2009? And which story has been voted the favourite Tenth Doctor Specials? Discover all the winners as the mag announces the much-anticipated results of the DWM Awards!

PLUS!
All the latest official news, previews, reviews and prize-winning competitions, and much, much, more!

Join in the celebration with DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE 424, out now at all good newsagents and supermarkets price £4.20!

The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Ross » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:04 am

Where do you get these write ups from?
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
Dave Ross

Postby THE DALEK SUPREME » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:33 pm

BE IN SEVENTH HEAVEN – WITH DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE 425!

In his most candid interview to date, lavishly illustrated with never-before-seen photos, SYLVESTER McCOY talks at length to DWM about his long career, on being the Seventh Doctor – and what he thinks about Doctor Who today…

“I’m delighted that they’ve done such a good job in bringing it back. I’m so proud to have that connection with this very successful programme. It wasn’t allowed to be successful when I was doing it. At the time, I didn’t know why. It was only afterwards that I realised I wasn’t given a fair crack of the whip. I wish I had been…”

Also this issue:

A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIMEY-WIMEY!
Time travel – what are the rules? And can those rules be broken? In an in-depth feature, DWM examines the knotty problems of paradoxes and time loops, and explores the incredible phenomenon of timey-wimeyness throughout the history of Doctor Who!

A NIGHT AT THE PROMS!
It’s the music event of the year! DWM dons its dinner jacket and journeys to the Royal Albert Hall to talk exclusively to the people responsible for the Doctor Who Prom, including composer MURRAY GOLD, conductor BEN FOSTER and executive producer STEVEN MOFFAT. Packed with behind-the-scenes photos from the Prom, this is the definitive account of the making of the show!

THE GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION!
The Doctor and Amy take a trip to Tokyo and discover that too much TV can be really, really bad for kids, in the first episode of a brand new comic strip adventure by Jonathan Morris and Martin Geraghty – THE GOLDEN ONES!

ART TREASURES OF HISTORY!
What have a Roman mosaic, a painting by Toulouse Lautrec and a long, floppy scarf got in common? They all feature in the brand new audio series starring TOM BAKER as the Fourth Doctor, Demon Quest! DWM catches up with the legendary Tom, co-stars RICHARD FRANKLIN and SUSAN JAMESON, writer PAUL MAGRS and many more in an exclusive report from the recording of the adventures!

THE WORLD’S GREATEST PLAYWRIGHT!
William Shakespeare – the most talented dramatist in history or a letch with bad breath? Find out the truth (according to Doctor Who!) behind the man and his works, as The Fact of Fiction extracts every nuance of meaning from the literary triumph that is the 2007 Tenth Doctor adventure, THE SHAKESPEARE CODE!

THE WRITER’S TALE

Doctor Who’s head writer, STEVEN MOFFAT, reveals all about being shy, being recognised, and the Eleventh Doctor’s most recent adventure – defusing a bomb at the Proms! – in Production Notes.

THE ANGEL OF THE NORTH!
DWM catches up with Hex, the hunky nurse who accompanies the Seventh Doctor and Ace on their audio adventures, aka actor PHILIP OLIVIER, who reveals his experiences of attending conventions, being recognised in the street and what he really thinks about Doctor Who fans…

Plus! All the latest official news, Previews, Reviews, Competitions and much, much more!

Treat yourself an unparalleled dose of culture with Doctor Who Magazine 425 – out Thursday 19 August from all good newsagents and supermarkets!
THE DALEK SUPREME

Postby THE DALEK SUPREME » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:40 pm

Dave Ross wrote:Where do you get these write ups from?

Tom Spilsbury emails Mike.
THE DALEK SUPREME

Postby image45 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:27 am

Doctor Who Magazine 425

Yes I must say an issue with some 'Fluff Tails :roll07: ' does look very tempting to me indeed!!!!
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby THE DALEK SUPREME » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Yes Mike's forwarded it to me so here's this month's blurb :CptnJck:
THE DALEK SUPREME

Postby Mike Nuttall » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:33 pm

The publishing schedule for DWM is being delayed by one week from September, issue 426 is now due on 23rd September. This is so the December issue can be brought out nearer the transmission of the Christmas episode.

Two specials are due out in the coming months, one on 7th October and one on 30th December.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby THE DALEK SUPREME » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Details to follow.
THE DALEK SUPREME

Postby Mike Nuttall » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:31 pm

I wonder if that Cyberman is one of Derek Handley's?

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Mike Nuttall » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Derek doesn't have a facebook page but Michelle does and she had a photo of two Tomb Cybermen that he'd built. They were both amazing :Cyberman:

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby chesterfield » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Where's this months blurb guys?
chesterfield

Postby Mike Nuttall » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:The publishing schedule for DWM is being delayed by one week from September, issue 426 is now due on 23rd September. This is so the December issue can be brought out nearer the transmission of the Christmas episode.

Two specials are due out in the coming months, one on 7th October and one on 30th December.

Why do I bother posting this tripe up??? :roll:

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Kamelion » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:59 pm

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:Image

Details to follow.

"PLUS! Cybermen voice over artist Nicholas Briggs!!!!" :roll:

Is this fool the only person available to voice adversaries in Doctor Who nowadays? What a mind numbingly boring interview I'm sure this was:

INTERVIEWER: So, your the voice of the Cybermen?"
BRIGGS: AND the Daleks, don't forget that!"
INTERVIEWER: What experience or talent do you have that brought you to the attention of the producers of
Doctor Who?"
BRIGGS: Eeerrrrr....... I used to watch Doctor Who when I was growing up.....
INTERVIEWER: ....yes.....
BRIGGS: .....and Rainbow.....
(interviewer stares at Briggs in utter disbelief)
BRIGGS: Now, I'm a Doctor Who celebrity! People queue to see me!! I get asked to do interviews
like this and get PAID!!!!!
INTERVIEWER: All because you can hold a voice modulator microphone..?
BRIGGS: Well someone has to do it....
INTERVIEWER: ...yeah..Roy Skelton or Royce Mills presumably. How do they feel about your meteoric rise to fame
and the fact you have usurped them?
(Briggs picks up voice modulator which he keeps in his inside pocket
at all times)
BRIGGS: "WE ARE THE MASTERS OF EARTH!! WE ARE THE MASTERS OF EARTH!! WE ARE THE..."
INTERVIEWER: You must be laughing all the way to the bank.
BRIGGS: I am
INTERVIEWER: Thankyou Nick
BRIGGS: Thank YOU, sir
"..and who knows when it will end..."
Kamelion

Postby Mike Nuttall » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:05 pm

NICK GETS VOCAL IN DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE 426!

He’s the man who provides the voices for the Doctor’s greatest enemies, the Daleks and the Cybermen – and at long last, DWM has caught up with him for an in-depth interview! NICHOLAS BRIGGS tells all about his time as a Dalek, his life-long love of Doctor Who and just what he can do with his ring voice modulator…

“It’s great for people to be able to hear the voice on set,” he explains. “The way I say my lines does change depending on how David, Chris, or Matt say their lines to me. The Daleks actually being there makes such a difference. Much of the time, the cast is acting against silver balls on sticks, in front of a green screen, but Daleks move around, flash their lights, speak like they want to kill you, like a voice from hell…”

Also:

MICHAEL GETS WRITING!
He’s one of the best-loved and most respected authors in the world – and now he’s written a Doctor Who book! MICHAEL MOORCOCK talks exclusively to DWM about his new novel THE COMING OF THE TERRAPHILES – plus there’s also an exclusive extract!

TOBY GETS TALKING!
TOBY HAYNES, director of the sensational series finale THE PANDORICA OPENS/THE BIG BANG, concludes his exclusive Director’s Diary and tells DWM how Doctor Who changed his life…

AXOS GETS NASTY!
Tokyo’s children are turning into Axons – and the Doctor, Amy and UNIT are involved in a breathtaking fight for their lives! Don’t miss the second part of the DWM comic strip THE GOLDEN ONES, by Jonathan Morris with art by Martin Geraghty!

SARAH JANE GETS READY!
What do the Eleventh Doctor, Jo Grant and K9 have in common? They’re all in the fourth fantastic series of THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, which is back on TV in October! DWM previews all twelve new episodes and talks exclusively to all the writers – RUSSELL T DAVIES, PHIL FORD, JOSEPH LIDSTER, RUPERT LAIGHT, GARETH ROBERTS and CLAYTON HICKMAN!

THE DOCTOR GETS JUMPY!
The Doctor and his companions appreciate the gravity of the situation as they leap around on the Moon and encounter the sinister Cybermen! THE FACT OF FICTION scrutinizes the 1967 adventure THE MOONBASE and extracts a wealth of information from this classic Second Doctor tale. Clever, clever, clever!

THE WATCHER GETS REVEALING!
DWM proudly presents the ultimate guide to the men of steel – the Cybermen! Discover how they’ve evolved over the decades, as the Watcher reveals everything you need to know – and some surprising secrets! – about one of the Doctor’s most persistent foes!

RICHARD GETS FRANK!
He’s back! Former UNIT Captain Mike Yates has returned to action alongside the Fourth Doctor in the new audio series Demon Quest. DWM catches up with the man who plays him, actor RICHARD FRANKLIN, and finds out what he thinks about Yates’ comeback – and his opinion of Doctor Who today…

STEVEN GETS CANDID!
Doctor Who’s showrunner STEVEN MOFFAT provides some exciting clues as to what adventures lie in store for the Doctor, Amy and Rory – and has the last word on what the next season should be called – in PRODUCTION NOTES!

PLUS! All the latest official news, previews, reviews and competitions and much, much more!

DWM 426, out Thursday 23 September priced £4.20. Buy it now before it gets deleted!

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Mike Nuttall » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:I wonder if that Cyberman is one of Derek Handley's?

I was right it was one of Derek's.

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby image45 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:

I thought he had sold nearly all his heads now!!!!!!!
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby Mike Nuttall » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 pm

image45 wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:

I thought he had sold nearly all his heads now!!!!!!!

I believe that Derek works on a freelance basis producing items for the BBC and official publications such as DWM as and when required so I imagine he retains the original moulds to some items. This is entirely right as Derek is the best at doing what he does, simple as.

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Mike Nuttall » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:53 am

DWM The Doctor Who Companion: The Eleventh Doctor Volume One

Your complete guide to the award-winning BBC One series!
Written and researched by Andrew Pixley.

2010 was a landmark year for Doctor Who. Matt Smith and Karen Gillan appeared on television as the Eleventh Doctor and Amy Pond for the first time, in a series of incredible adventures. From the Doctor's crash landing in sleepy Leadworth, through to his arrival at Amy's wedding in a rebooted universe, the last of the Time Lords faced many monsters during the course of his travels, including Weeping Angels, Silurians, Autons, Cybermen, Smilers, Venetian Vampires, Prisoner Zero... and, of course, the Daleks!

Now, Doctor Who Magazine takes you behind the scenes of the Eleventh Doctor's first six episodes with an in-depth episode guide – including original storylines, deleted scenes, media appearances, ratings information and thousands of facts about the day-to-day life of the making of Doctor Who – all illustrated with gorgeous, never-before-seen photographs. This collectors' edition examines The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below, Victory of the Daleks, The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, and The Vampires of Venice, as well as the specially-made 3D cinema trailer.

This is your essential guide to worlds of Doctor Who.
Get ready to discover a wealth of information – but watch out for the cracks...

The latest DWM Special is out now, 100 pages, priced £6.99.

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Next

Return to DOCTOR WHO IN PRINT