What's The Last TV Show You Watched?

Discussion of other programmes including vintage and rare TV and films

Re: What's The Last TV Show You Watched?

Postby StarQuake » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:17 pm

Lol!
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby LizR » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 am

LINE OF DUTY

I'm up to series 4, which continues to be excellent...

Spoilers if you haven't seen series 1 of BANCROFT, or series 4 of LINE OF DUTY.

I was wondering whether to continue with the second series of BANCROFT - of which the writer said http://www.planetmondas.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=19&t=2923

Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Postby paulhickling » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Been watching Capaldi, John Simm and Tim McInnerny in a drama complete with a Murray Gold score. All on great form. It does show the latter in restrained mode proving he was requested to do his larger music for Who, as I've always said.

Catching up with The Devil's Whore , which despite some fictionalising has plenty of respect for history and not an expletive in sight HBO and co take note, though it does have some tits and bums :o lol. It is slightly less engaging than most recent historical dramas, but makes up for it in grit.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby LizR » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:35 am

DEADWATER FELL

Psychological drama about an apparently happy family who all die in a fire apart from the father, played by David Tenant...

phpBB © 2011
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:01 pm

Caught up with this week's Inside No.9 (The Referee's A W***er) on iPlayer. Cast on great form, episode had some neat little twists and dead funny moments. Best thing on the box .
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:52 pm

I've only seen two episodes of "No.9" (one because someone - possibly you - recommended it, it being about crosswords). Unfortunately, they both came across as more nasty than humorous. I assume the idea is "comedy horror" but that's actually not an easy combination to get right, it either has to be slapstick / pastiche like "Young Frankestein" or really very well done, which these weren't IMHO (lots of horror has light relief, of course, but that isn't the same thing). Maybe you could explain the appeal, I may be missing something?

LizR

Postby paulhickling » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:11 pm

LizR wrote:DEADWATER FELL

Psychological drama about an apparently happy family who all die in a fire apart from the father, played by David Tenant...

phpBB © 2011

We're watching this at the moment. I wonder if he's better at baddies. I think he did one just before he started Who as well.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby LizR » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:08 am

VICTORIAN SENSATIONS - part 2, "Decadence and degeneration", narrated by a certain Paul McGann.

"Paul McGann discovers how fears of moral and imperial decline terrified 1890s Britain - informing the daring plays of Oscar Wilde and the fantastical stories of HG Wells."

This fascinating episode ranges from "The Time Machine" to "Dracula" via the trial of Oscar Wilde, fear of immigrants, Eugenics, the phenomenon of the "New Woman", the beginnings of anti-imperialisrt sentiment and self-determination for colonised peoples, and many other matters, all covered with languid understatement by Mr McGann (who also gives a decent impression of Wilde and a time traveller - who knew?) over the course of an hour.

The truly frightening thing about this is how so many of the issues that were raised in the 1890s are still live, still being grappled with. Feminism, gay rights, gender fluidity, playing catch-up with technological and social change... "This is the decade the future landed" still seems a very apt description, even when one knows that the tale is heavy with dramatic irony and the (far, far) worst is yet to come...

LizR

Postby shuzbot » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Been watching a few Till Death Do Us Part episodes lately, fun. :lol:
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Heccypoo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:38 pm

I watched Confronting Holocaust Denial with David Baddiel

It made depressing viewing, but needed to be seen.

Compelling viewing, I recommend it highly.

I don't say that often for a BBC programme...
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby LizR » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:45 pm

THE PALE HORSE

Based on the Agatha Christie novel about someone who discovers that people are dying, apparently by witchcraft, and he may be next on the list...

I was somewhat disappointed that...

phpBB © 2011

LizR

Postby LizR » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:55 pm

Heccypoo wrote:I watched Confronting Holocaust Denial with David Baddiel

That sounds very interesting, if, as you say, depressing. We did see that film "Denial" written by David Hare, about the libel trial where David Irving (played by Timothy Spall) sued historian and writer Deborah Lipstadt (played by Rachel Weisz) and her publisher, Penguin, for some comments they made about his work in her book "Denying the Holocaust".

phpBB © 2011

LizR

Postby Heccypoo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:08 pm

LizR wrote:
Heccypoo wrote:I watched Confronting Holocaust Denial with David Baddiel

That sounds very interesting, if, as you say, depressing. We did see that film "Denial" written by David Hare, about the libel trial where David Irving (played by Timothy Spall) sued historian and writer Deborah Lipstadt (played by Rachel Weisz) and her publisher, Penguin, for some comments they made about his work in her book "Denying the Holocaust".

phpBB © 2011

David Baddiel meets up with the real Deborah Lipstadt, to talk about the Irving trial, during the course of documentary. Interesting stuff, although very scary, as Holocaust denial is growing.
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby paulhickling » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:56 pm

Knightfall on Netflix, all about the Knights Templar who I've found interesting since they featured in that (excellent) episode of Robin of Sherwood.

First series was full of great cosplay. The Templars look really cool when they're all together in those outfits. The creator has done his homework and reckons the history is as based on fact as it can be while doing it's job as a drama. Bit like a certain John Lucarotti..

The first series is exec produced and directed by Douglas McKinnon, and is a bit different to the second series that we're now half way through. This one features Mark Hamill who I think is hamming it up. The voice is quite caricatured, and I finally worked out who he might be modelling it on..... Bela Lugosi's Igor from the Universal Films Son and Ghost of Frankenstein!

So yeah, watched episode three of the second series last night. I need something like it after the wife insists on watching the transexual goings on in Pose....
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby iank » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am

Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 6. Finished this the other day. It's still my least favourite season - in fact I skipped it on last run - but I enjoyed it well enough this time. It has a number of issues. While most Buffy seasons start slow and then slowly but surely build up, season 6 - because of the way 5 ended - kicks off like a bat out of hell but then drops like a stone and has to start again after episode 3, and 4-6 seem incredibly inconsequential as a result. This makes the season arc a victim of its own cleverness, as it's far from clear where this is going and the only new villains - the Nerd Trio - initially seem as threatening as a paper bag. The depressing nature of some of the arcs, particularly Buffy's post-resurrection depression and Willow's increasing magic dependency, likewise doesn't help. And while I quite enjoy Spike's unrequited obsession with Buffy in season 5, and the more emotional but still platonic bond they share after Spike is re-ensouled in season 7, here their relationship is just kind of disgusting and disturbing. But it's not all bad news. There are some really good episodes. The opening 3 episodes are terrific, as stated, and there are some very entertaining more-or-less standalones like Tabula Rasa, the darkly comic Doublemeat Palace, Older and Far Away and the chillingly executed Normal Again (the one where Buffy thinks she's a mental patient in an asylum, with her whole life as the Slayer nothing but a delusion). And the final four episodes are as good as almost any other finale, as the disparate strands of the season come together and Tara's death sends Willow on a magical bender of murderously vengeful and increasingly apocalyptic proportions. This is all terrific stuff, and as dark, frightening and upsetting as the show gets. I'll take a moment here to mention Nicholas Brendon, who's perpetually underrated as Xander but is a total standout here. Everyone raves about Alyson Hannigan as the utterly out of control Willow - and they should, cause she's great - but poor Xander just looks in a state of complete and total shock and horrified disbelief as one of his friends is murdered, another is gunned down in front of him and his best friend since childhood completely loses her mind. And, of course, he finally gets to be the one to save the day, with his willingness and insistence that if Willow's going to destroy the world she should start with him being the thing that finally reawakens her humanity.
So... season 6. It's a difficult season at times, but it's still pretty good. :)
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

SILENT WITNESS

Continues to be relentlessly un-woke, one might almost say anti-woke, despite being put out by the BBC. The latest episode involved
phpBB © 2011

LizR

Postby LizR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:11 am

Rebecka Martinsson - Arctic Murders

Gee, it's grim up north...

LizR

Postby chap with wings » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:02 pm

been watching a lot of "Parks and Recreation" :D
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby Sid Rat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:27 am

iank wrote:Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 6. Finished this the other day. It's still my least favourite season - in fact I skipped it on last run - but I enjoyed it well enough this time. It has a number of issues..

I'm with you on this. It's just too dark and depressing; there aren't enough lighter and uplifting moments to offset the darkness. For me the turning point was when Xander ran out on his wedding to Anya. With Buffy's depression and destructive relationship with Spike, Willow's addiction and relationship breakdown, and Dawn's kleptomania it just felt like it needed some characters to actually enjoy a degree of happiness and not also end up miserable. It feels out-of-balance compared to previous series and is a bit too relentlessly grim. And of course Giles is largely absent and sorely missed. The final season's a bit of mess too.

I've just finished watching Press Gang with my teenager who loved it. It's a reminder of just how well Steven Moffat could write. Being holed up now for weeks, I've just started rewatching 24.

I'm also about halfway through Continuum, which is being shown on Sky Two. I've not seen it before and it's pretty enjoyable so far. Like a lot of US series these days I waited until it finished and then checked to see if it has an actual ending. I've been caught out too many times before. It's incredibly irritating to have spent hours watching a series only for it to be cancelled on a cliffhanger. I'll never understand why the studios do that. It must cost them future revenue. Who bothers to buy a series or watch repeats if you know there is no resolution to the story?
Sid Rat

Postby The Wooksta! » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:12 pm

Blake's 7 - "Blake"
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham..."

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Wooksta!

Previous

Return to OTHER TV SHOWS & FILMS