What's the last film you watched?

Discussion of other programmes including vintage and rare TV and films

Re: What's the last film you watched?

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 pm

paulhickling wrote:Love those Edgar Wallace thrillers. It might've been you who mentioned it recently, but Bill Russell is of course in at least one. Have they shown Clue of the New Pin yet with Bernard Archard? That always seemed to come around a lot.

I love that mysterious closing title sequence with Wallace's bust. Some episodes had a slow version, others one like the popped up Shadows-like one.

Think William Russell's cropped up in a couple of these now, one of which I've seen, The Share Out, and the other, Return to Sender, missed most of it, just caught a bit of some nice looking dark haired bird getting smoochy with him.

With Clue of the New Pin, yes they've shown it a couple of times now, most recently last Sunday, and yes, you've guessed it, managed to miss that one too, on both occasions! No matter though, I've got the boxset now.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:38 pm

paulhickling wrote:I love that mysterious closing title sequence with Wallace's bust. Some episodes had a slow version, others one like the popped up Shadows-like one.

Here you go. The latter Shadows-like beat version isn't without it's charms I guess, but I much prefer the original one, more eerie, mysterious sounding.

Edgar Wallace Mysteries - theme music (original)

Edgar Wallace mysteries - opening music (beat version)

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 pm

By the by, another 'funny' little Who connection for you, Philip Mackie, the screenwriter on some of those Edgar Wallace Mysteries was Pearl Mackie's grandfather. Didn't know that until recently when I started watching these films. Shows you how much notice I take of NuWho, dunnit. :lol:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:57 am

The Ginger Cat wrote:Shows you how much notice I take of NuWho, dunnit. :lol:

You may be interested to know the character she played was gay.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:09 am

LizR wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:Shows you how much notice I take of NuWho, dunnit. :lol:

You may be interested to know the character she played was gay.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:13 am

"Hard-boiled eggs and nuts!". Another Laurel and Hardy short, County Hospital. :D
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby chap with wings » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:43 am

Gnomeo and Juliet
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby paulhickling » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:33 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:
paulhickling wrote:I love that mysterious closing title sequence with Wallace's bust. Some episodes had a slow version, others one like the popped up Shadows-like one.

Here you go. The latter Shadows-like beat version isn't without it's charms I guess, but I much prefer the original one, more eerie, mysterious sounding.

Edgar Wallace Mysteries - theme music (original)

Edgar Wallace mysteries - opening music (beat version)

Great stuff. I reckon the up tempo version still has an eerie side, that second melody on the keyboard.. You know if you hadn't put the slow one up, from memory I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that it too was performed on an electric guitar. JNT old Doctor Who producer was right when he said the memory cheats!

Of course the Shadows did do a single version called Man of Mystery.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby paulhickling » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:37 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:"Hard-boiled eggs and nuts!". Another Laurel and Hardy short, County Hospital. :D

Ollie : "You know I can't eat hard boiled eggs and nuts. If you wanted to bring me something why didn't you get me a box of candy?"

Stan: They cost too much"

Ollie: "What has that got to do with it?"

Stan: You didn't pay me for the last lot I bought you".

Priceless. Classic, if we try not to think about the sleepy car ride at the end with the terrible backdrop. It does go on a little.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 am

Lol, there's so many funny bits to choose from in this film. I very nearly quoted this instead:

Ollie: “You had nothing else to do.... so you thought you’d come around and see me. Here I was for the first time in my life... having a nice peaceful time and you had to come and spoil it.”

The bit I found the funniest though was the two nurses laughing at Stan after he manages to sit his arse down on a hypodermic needle filled with sedative. "He'll sleep for a month!".

I haven't seen some of these Laurel and Hardy films in years. It's been great catching up with them, refreshing the old memory and having a good old laugh.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:09 am

OCEAN'S EIGHT

This was fun, but I had a few gripes...

a. The characters could have done with being more distinctive. About half the eight became a bit of a blur.

b.
Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

c.
phpBB © 2011

d.
phpBB © 2011

e.
phpBB © 2011
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby paulhickling » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Four Laurel and Hardys in a row last night at our monthly Sons of the Desert evening:

LEAVE 'EM LAUGHING - our silent starter. Everything's a precursor to later films here. Stan and Ollie's landlord is Charlie Hall (as in They Go Boom and Laughing Gravy), there's a scene in the dentist's chair (like Pardon Us), and they drive all over the place at the end under the influence (County Hospital) - this time laughing gas.

THE BOHEMIAN GIRL - Everyone lets out a little moan when it's one of the operettas, but this has less padding than some. Some great moments like Stan getting drunk while bottling wine, and the boys' pickpocketing routine. Last appearance of the lovely Thelma Todd before she was found dead in suspicious circumstances. Most famous thing about the actual operetta is the song I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls (even I've got a copy, by Enya).

NIGHT OWLS - "Kennedy'll fix it" the boys believe as bumbling cop Edgar Kennedy uses them to try and boost his job. One of those where they spend most of the film trying to get into a house at night.

SCRAM! - As above, the boys are vagrants who just want to be left alone to sleep on the park bench, but grumpy judge Richard Cramer has other ideas. In the meantime they try to help drunk Arthur Housman to get into his house. Yep, at night as above. Of course it isn't his house. It's the grumpy judge's! Much mirth ensues as they manage to get his wife drunk on what they think is water, and guess who turns up...

Oh, and our meetings are now held in The Harlequin pub, Sheffield, if anyone's in the area on the second Monday evening of every month. An evening of great films washed down with lashings of real ale. What's not to love?
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby The Nimon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Went to see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. A very good film and for once very different from the others. On ly a small amount of the film is spent on the island in favour of a slightly more interesting story. There are shades of Lost World in there too.
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby paulhickling » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:57 pm

The Nimon wrote:Went to see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. A very good film and for once very different from the others. On ly a small amount of the film is spent on the island in favour of a slightly more interesting story. There are shades of Lost World in there too.

When you say Lost World, do you mean the Conan Doyle one, made on film in the 1920s, 60s and for tv some years ago, or the Jurassic Park sequel?
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:49 pm

The Agitator on Talking Pictures. Real, powerhouse performance from a youthful looking "Billy Hartnell" here. I needed a couple of headache tablets afterwards :lol:. The film was not bad I guess, just not the type of thing I'd normally choose to watch. Bit melodramatic.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby ericthehalfabee » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:30 am

I'm on a bit of a Kubrick kick at the moment, so I'm going to work my way through a bunch of his stuff.

The night before last I watched Dr Strangelove, which I haven't seen for yonks. It's just marvellous isn't it? Sellers as Lionel Mandrake cracks me up. The only let down was that the bluray transfer was bollocks. There was no improvement as far as I could see...

Last night was Lolita. Which I found very amusing in a deep and darkly comic way. Again, I've not seen this one for 15 years or so, but I'm a lot less familiar with it than Dr Strangelove. I then watched some James Mason interviews on youtube - I'd never appreciated how miserable and materialistic he was before, which is a shame.

2001 next and I'm going to miss Peter Sellers and the comic stuff.

I've also got this stuck in my bloody noggin and am wandering around work whistling it:

ericthehalfabee

Postby ericthehalfabee » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Still to come, sat on the shelf:

A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon (never seen)
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket

I don't think I'll bother with Eyes Wide Shut and I watched Paths of Glory and Spartacus quite recently.

Any other essentials I should seek out?
ericthehalfabee

Postby ericthehalfabee » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:09 pm

2001 done.

Meh.
ericthehalfabee

Postby LizR » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:35 am

ericthehalfabee wrote:2001 done.

Meh.

Far be it from me to encourage taking LSD while watching movies, but in this particular case...

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:04 am

LizR wrote:
ericthehalfabee wrote:2001 done.

Meh.

Far be it from me to encourage taking LSD while watching movies, but in this particular case...

I've always been too terrified to try it, but I can well imagine that last 20 minutes would be spectacular :D

I wish I'd have seen this film in '68 and while it's still enjoyable and impressive in large chunks and I enjoy the esoteric nature of other bits, it's all just a bit too much of a drag. It's 10% overcooked.

I also watched A Clockwork Orange last night for the first time in a good long while. I really enjoyed it, this time concentrating on McDowell's performance and delivery of his lines - really good. Underrated.
ericthehalfabee

PreviousNext

Return to OTHER TV SHOWS & FILMS