What's The Last TV Show You Watched?

Discussion of other programmes including vintage and rare TV and films

Re: What's The Last TV Show You Watched?

Postby LizR » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:02 pm

YOU ARE US - AROHA NUI

A live concert to raise money for the victims of the Christchurch mosque attack on TV3, irritatingly interrupted by adverts (you think they could have left them out in this case).

Featuring amongst many other things Lorde and Marlon Willians performing a song whose lyrics we analysed in our English class back in (somewhere around) 1970...

(...this time performed without electric guitars, the way Paul Simon would have wanted...)

And proof that bald middle aged white guys with glasses can still get 20,000 people on their feet and signing along...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/112123197/kiwi-musicians-show-aroha-to-christchurch-attack-victims-through-emotional-song-choices

While Stan Walker was moved to tears... https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/112123562/stan-walker-gets-emotional-on-stage-while-performing-new-song-for-christchurch-attack-victims

Have to admit SHIHAD are my favourites though (Dragon didn't come) especially the final track, Home Again.

"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Servorobot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:11 am

Are Shihad still going? Blow me down, you learn something everyday.

Sorry about Dragon Liz. It’s bit hard for them to play when most of the band are now dead.

As for Dave Dobbyn I think only the Australians and Kiwis on here will have any idea who he is.

Hope they raised a lot of money though.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby LizR » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:17 am

I'm sure they did.

Incredibly, Shihad are still going (after a bit of a trial separation, and the main man - Toogood? - doing some solo stuff).

However, we saw Dragon at WOMAD last year. These guys don't let minor things like death stop them.

I've never been able to get into Dave Dobbyn's music although he seems like a thoroughly nice chap. As Don McGlashan seems to be - although he only got to do one song, and that was shared with a load of other people. I'd rate Don over Dave by a country mile. (I mean, has DD ever done a version of the Dr Who theme? I think not!)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Servorobot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:27 am

LizR wrote:I'm sure they did.

Incredibly, Shihad are still going (after a bit of a trial separation, and the main man - Toogood? - doing some solo stuff).

However, we saw Dragon at WOMAD last year. These guys don't let minor things like death stop them.

I've never been able to get into Dave Dobbyn's music although he seems like a thoroughly nice chap. As Don McGlashan seems to be - although he only got to do one song, and that was shared with a load of other people. I'd rate Don over Dave by a country mile. (I mean, has DD ever done a version of the Dr Who theme? I think not!)

I think Todd Hunter is the only original member of Dragon still with us. Presumably he’s carrying on the name. These days I think he just looks like Lance Cairns. I keep expecting him to clobber Geoff Lawson over the boundary at the MCG with one hand on the bat, but Todd just has a bass in his hand.

Don McGlashan was in the Muttonbirds, enough said. I saw him on a repeat episode of Rockwiz recently. Foxtel often repeat old episodes. Sang the wonderful Pulled Along by Love at the start. Can’t for the life of me remember who he was on with though. And yes, it’s Jon Toogood in Shihad. Pacifier is still a great song.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby LizR » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 am

Don was also in Blam Blam Blam - amongst others (the Front Lawn etc).

For your listening pleasure...

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:40 pm

THE BAD SEED

Based on two rather good books by Charlotte Grimshaw, the story of a doctor who may or may not have murdered his neighbour and the politician with the flaky wife who may or may not be based on John Key, and the murky past that is brought to light during the police investigation. Recommended, especially if you can watch it without bloody saturation advertisements (thank you, TVNZ).

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Servorobot » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am

Derry Girls

Amusing comedy about a group of girls (and the male English cousin of one of them) and their hijinks in Derry in the 1990’s. Funniest Irish comedy I’ve seen since Father Ted.

Worth it for the character of Sister Michael (the principal of the school they all attend) alone.

Juxtaposes broad comedy with the everpresent spectre of the Troubles lurking in the background.

Sadly, given recent events, not entirely something of the past.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby iank » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:44 am

Buffy season 5. I never realised before that that's Amy Adams playing Tara's bitch sister in the episode Family! :lol:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:49 pm

BAPTISTE

Those brothers have improved a lot since the first series of THE MISSING - and that was pretty good.

I fear Baptiste will end up like Poirot, having already retired before his first appearance in "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", he was at least 120 years old by his final story....

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu May 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Watching some old crap on Talking Pictures TV at the moment with ol' Jon Pertwee in playing a Dutch detective or something. It's nothing special really but the theme tune's pretty catchy...
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Mon May 06, 2019 8:33 am

THE BAY

This was advertised as "Broadchurch set in Morecambe", which was enough to put me off, but having watched the first episode I would say it's rather better - although I may well find myself eating my words in later episodes. But anyway, off to a fun start, as D.S. Lisa Armstrong is part of the team investigating the disappearance of twins, and quickly discovers that their father is...

Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

...which almost certainly never happened to Poirot. 8-) :?

phpBB © 2011

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Tue May 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Continuing with THE BAY - the characters are perhaps a bit cliched, but it's too good to be called "Broadchurch set in Morecambe" in my opinion. BC seemed to work on a 'villain of the week" basis - at least until we gave up watching - where every episode had a new suspect being introduced and eventually dismissed from consideration (or apparently so). Bay works much more along traditional lines, with a crowd of suspects moving in and out of the frame as more information comes to light.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Thu May 09, 2019 10:43 am

LizR wrote:FRESH EGGS

Now concluded with
phpBB © 2011
, which explains why they decided not to show this for a while after the mosque attack. Especially the bit where
phpBB © 2011
. Oh, and the bit where
phpBB © 2011

Despite or because of the early-Peter-Jackson-esque extreme comedy violence, this was great fun.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 am

Oh, and we also finished THE BAY and decided that it was far better than Broadchurch, not that that's saying much IMHO.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Sun May 12, 2019 12:26 pm

CHEAT

A university professor cheats on her husband - then discovers one of her students has cheated on a paper... and gets enmeshed in a complex, clever psychological thriller as secrets and lies come out of the woodwork. Starring Katherine Kelly and Molly Windosr, plus, amongst others, Peter Firth (Harry Pearce from Spooks), Adrian Edmondson, and our very own Burn Gorman (Owen from "Torchwood").

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun May 19, 2019 1:12 am

Been trying to get into that Penny Dreadful series. I thought the first episode was alright, good introduction to the show/characters and all that, liked Timothy Dalton and Eva Green in it, but then I gets to the second episode and up pops Billie Piper with the most diabolical Irish accent I think I've heard. And crikey that Séance scene had plenty of the old C-word flying round didn't it. Had to laugh.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Sun May 19, 2019 9:24 am

Have I got news for you

Well it's the only UK news channel I trust...

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu May 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Finished off watching series 1 and just started on series 2 of Penny Dreadful. Got quite hooked on it TBH. The series isn't perfect, it's a tad contrived and there's more rumpy pumpy in it than scares but there's some earnest performances in it and it has a certain grace/style/charm that ensures it get's away with it.

Billie Piper's Irish accent does improve in it but had to laugh when...

phpBB © 2011
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Fri May 24, 2019 5:10 pm

I have three series on the go at the moment, Shoestring, Van Der Valk and Hinterland, but the last one I watched an episode of was Shoestring. An odd tale about a man pretending to still be a stamp trader, in order to launder money for a villain, who died of a heart attack in the street.

Doing this can be confusing however. John Woodnutt was in one episde of Shoestring playing a dodgy hypnotherapist and the next day he was in Van Der Valk playing a doctor, working for the police. I was thinking the law would surely nick him at any minute, becausse he was dodgy, and I'd confused the two shows, thinking he was still the dodgy bloke from the night before.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby iank » Fri May 24, 2019 11:37 pm

I've been full on retro-ing it the last week or so. Special Branch, Minder, Miss Marple (Hickson of course), Fawlty Towers, Only When I Laugh, Only Fools and Horses, The New Avengers...
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

PreviousNext

Return to OTHER TV SHOWS & FILMS