What's The Last TV Show You Watched?

Discussion of other programmes including vintage and rare TV and films
The Wooksta!

Now into the second series of The Sweeney and Pat Troughton has just had George Carter's wife killed, and Maurice Roeves was going to have Regan killed in the next episode.

Not as punchy as the first series but it's still a cracking series to watch.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

MARCELLA continues to be exceedingly noir...
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
The Wooksta!

Just finished Season 3 of The Sweeney, although I avoided a couple of episodes as I just don't like them. "Pay Off" was particularly goo, written by PJ Hammond and directed by Douggie Camfield. Really enjoyed that one.

I *might* watch some of season 4, but by and large most of them are pretty poor.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

iank

I'm not that into The Sweeney to be honest. I've tried but I find a lot of them quite dull. I much prefer the likes of Callan, The Sandbaggers and even Secret Army so far.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
The Wooksta!

Basically, the best ones are in the first series, and it goes downhill from there. That's not to say there's some good episodes later - even season 4 has episodes that are as good as anything in the first series (Victims, where Haskins' wife suffers a breakdown is particularly good), but your definition of good and bad may differ.

I really watch it for the characters, particularly John Thaw as Regan- how can you not like Jack Regan? Especially if you like Gene Hunt or Frank Burnside, because they're both Jack Regan-lite.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

BREEDERS

Martin Freeman and Daisy Haggard attempt to cope with their children. Apparently this is a comedy, although it seems more like a documentary to me...
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
iank

Taggart: Nest of Vipers. Following the discovery of the skulls of two young women, a research lab is broken into and a number of deadly snakes and spiders stolen - which are then used to try and prevent the victims ever being identified. One of the best - and scariest - Taggart stories, with a dark ending, real sick puppy of a killer, and some pure nightmare fuel scenes. You'll check your bed before getting in it after watching this one! :o :lol:
This also has some familiar Who guest stars including Michael Cochrane and Geoffrey Beevers - and blink and you'll miss her as a shop assistant - a young Michelle Gomez! :mrgreen:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

The Wooksta!

The guy who took over from Taggart - don't remember his character or actor name as I never followed the series - was a villain in a Sweeney episode called "Hard Men", regarded as one of the best episodes of the series.

It's an uncomfortable watch, it's quite brutal and both leads are fairly dislikable in it.

There was a comment on a Sweeney section that the line between Regan and Gene Hunt becomes blurred in some episodes, especially with comments like "Who's a naughty Abdul then?" I don't agree, if anything, Regan is the original so Gene Hunt sounding more like Regan is the way it's supposed to be.

iank

You should totally watch Taggart - at least the originals with Taggart actually in it. ;) Fantastic mystery thriller series, with some wonderful stories. Often dead nasty too! :D

iank

Wicked Science: Fever. When Elizabeth catches a cold, the virus not only has a bizarre impact on her genius "flashes" but also begins to accelerate at a dangerous rate - and Toby is forced into a desperate race against time to save the life of his best frenemy. This is a really good episode, with some genuine high emotion and great character stuff for both leads. It's interesting that the episode again brings up the "flashes=compulsion" notion that Toby brought up toward the end of last season, here amusingly forcing Elizabeth to do nice things for people even though she doesn't really want to. More interesting is Toby's suggestion that it's just tapping into a side of her she's repressed, and specifically bringing up what she was like pre-accident. Elizabeth dismisses her former persona as "weak", but Toby insists not everyone thought that. It's a pretty creepy idea that what's happened to them has actually affected their personalities, and while Toby implying that he liked her shy, introverted pre-genius self is a nice sentiment, you can't help but think "well maybe you should have acted like that then!" Elizabeth's complete faith and trust in Toby's ability and willingness to save her is quite sweet, if unsurprising, but Toby continues to baffle me. Like the season 1 episode where he acted to save her from expulsion, this episode again indicates that his feelings for her run deeper than he wants to admit, but why? The notion that he liked her pre-genius makes his attitude to her even weirder. The episode ends with Elizabeth clearly crushing on him harder than ever after he literally saves her life, and clearly unconvinced by his attempt to brush it off as "oh, I'd have done it for anyone!" Oh and there's a touching and funny bit between Elizabeth and Verity, where the sick Elizabeth starts to tell her how much she values her friendship, only to be interrupted, and then later denies remembering the conversation when Verity tries to bring it up after she's cured! 🤣

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

FLACK

Fortunately only six episodes per series, since one can only take so much of the vacuous people Robyn Flack and friends have to protect from their own stupidity. Plus a surprisingly dark streak running through this "dramedy".

iank

Finished season 1 of Secret Army. Terrific finale - great episode title, too - Be the First Kid on Your Block To Rule the World :D - as British agent Curtis's cover is blown and the Nazis lock down Brussels as he desperately tries to get out. Tense stuff. :)

iank

Secret Army: The Hostage. Season 2 opens with a very strong and compelling episode, as the Resistance try to find a downed British Brigadier who has info that can't be allowed to fall into Nazi hands. Good stuff, though I'm less than impressed that we've lost Jan Francis, or by the exit her character gets. One scene, and then killed off fairly lamely. Boo! That's all a bit too Neighboursesque for me ("You know that character you've really invested in? F**k them, they're gone, so get over it!") :twisted: :roll: :P

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

THE MALLORCA FILES

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9204128/

With two mismatched cops (he's a German who, going against the stereotype, goes with his hunches and isn't hung up on following the rule book - she's a Brit who's very much hung up, in various ways) plus a soundtrack that is channelling Hawaii Five-0 (from my dim recollections, unless it's the Benny Hill spoof I'm thniking of) and a few - but not an excessive number - of car chases, running around and the odd bit of shooting, this isn't going to win any awards for originality. Nevertheless it has so far (episodes 1-3) managed to be fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun. It's entertainingly silly but, crucially, manages to have sufficiently interesting crimes for our heroes to solve, all the time being warned in the time honoured tradition that one slip and they'll be directing traffic by their boss (she's the only main character who's actually supposed to be a native of Mallorca).

Surprisingly good fun. A kind of mix of "McDonald and Dodds" with something silly from the 60s, perhaps "The Avengers". I guess it may just be the definition of "retro cool".

iank

Wicked Science: The Great Dork. Toby creates a time portal in his shed, and ends up unwittingly sending Russ back to the past while unleashing a caveman on the school. Probably the weakest episode of season 2 so far, not least because it takes way too long to get Elizabeth involved. It does get better in the second half, while it is interesting that we're on episode 6, and Elizabeth has only been the antagonist in the first 2 episodes, with Toby's experiments causing the trouble in 3 of the episodes so far. Elizabeth's reaction to finding the caveman is very funny - "I think he must be one of Toby's experiments... how cool!" - and she continues to be generally softer - including with Verity, who I don't think she's yelled at even once this whole season - and more adorably crazy than the complete nutjob she turned into in the second half of season 1. :)

iank

Secret Army: Russian Roulette. Albert tries to take over the line as the Resistance reels in the wake of Lisa's death. A very fine episode, and while I was less than thrilled with the manner of Jan Francis' exit at least they don't skip over the impact it has on the other characters. German officer Brandt being approached to become part of a conspiracy to assassinate Hitler and subjugate the SS is a thoroughly gripping twist, while the "garden party" for "friends" hosted by Kessler is "holy f**k this guy is completely f*****g insane" chilling. :o :shock: Great stuff.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

iank wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:35 pm
Probably doesn't mean anything to anyone here, but I was amused to see Robin Stewart as the pop band manager, one of whom is murdered, in the Whodunnit? season 3 episode I saw last night. He must have emigrated, because he was great as the dastardly Dr Ross Newman in 80s Aussie soap Sons and Daughters! :D
I knew someone on here had mentioned Sons and Daughters. This might be of interest to you:

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... 1-season-1
iank

Thank you, I had heard rumours. I will be buying it, even at that price! :lol:

I do hope that's not the actual cover, though, with a character that's not in it till season 4! :P

Return to “OTHER TV SHOWS & FILMS”

• Information