TV Centre Tour pics

Discussion of upcoming Doctor Who events, conventions, book-signings and social gatherings.

TVC Tours

Postby The Nimon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:44 pm

I've seen online that they do a tour around television centre in wood lane. has anybody here been on one? if so what was it like and is it worth doing? :director:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: TVC Tours

Postby CADILLAC » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:41 pm

Well worth doing and great value......

Done it a few years ago,and by shear dum luck we where in London the same week as a tube strike......

We where staying out near Wembley and it took 90 minutes on a packed bendy bus to do what was probably a 10 minute journey and we got there just as the tour was about to start.....
No two tours are ever the same they say and I'm not the type to give anything away but you will enjoy it....

If you live in London do it or if you're going to be in London do it but it's not Disneyland,you wouldn't Trek half way across the country to to do the tour.....

Don't just turn up, all tickets have to be prebooked......
CADILLAC

Postby The Nimon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks for the info. Yes i was looking online last night and it said you have to prebook. I'm going to be in London for a signing in Barking on the sunday, They've got Eric Roberts there. I'll have a word with my friend tonight and see if i can talk her into going this time or some time in the near future
The Nimon

Postby Zenith » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:32 pm

This sounds good and all but what exactly are the sights etc? I've no real idea how active TV centre is compared to its heyday but while the scale of it would be amazing i'm not sure the content would be...!
Zenith

Postby CADILLAC » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:41 am

Zenith wrote:This sounds good and all but what exactly are the sights etc? I've no real idea how active TV centre is compared to its heyday but while the scale of it would be amazing i'm not sure the content would be...!

You'll just have to go along and find out....... :Dalek: :Dalek: :Dalek:
CADILLAC

Postby CADILLAC » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:58 pm

You'll be amazed at the news centre which is the largest in the world by far and the only one in the world with it's own in house travel agent to send anybody anywhere at a moments notice..... :director:
Every reporter and news castor turns up each day with there passport just in case..... :director:

The group of tour guides do this almost as a hobby as they are all BBC employees with a passion for the place and an unbelievable depth of knowledge of the place.....
The passion and enthusiasm for the place is infectious

That's all the info you're getting now book it...... :VoidStuff: :VoidStuff: :VoidStuff:
CADILLAC

Postby moviedalek » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:28 pm

There's an instant aura of class when anybody says "I work for the BBC". We should all be keeping an eye on Auntie Beeb now the tories have their eye on her.

I'd like to do the tour isn't the BBC closing the TV Centre down next year?
moviedalek

Postby The Nimon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:03 pm

I've talked to my friend about this and we've decided to go in November when we're down in London again for another signing, Looking forward to this :D
The Nimon

Postby CADILLAC » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:35 pm

moviedalek wrote:There's an instant aura of class when anybody says "I work for the BBC". We should all be keeping an eye on Auntie Beeb now the tories have their eye on her.

I'd like to do the tour isn't the BBC closing the TV Centre down next year?

There were plans a few years ago to sell off the site and redevelop it,2012 was I believe the time mentioned......

A large chunk of Television centre is supposed to be listed there fore cannot be tore down.....

Does the BBC even own the building any more?, I remember hearing plans to sell it,to raise millions for programme making then rent it back from the buyer.......
CADILLAC

Postby Mike Nuttall » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm sure I remember someone telling me that if I'd been invited to TV Centre for lunch I'd better get a move on because they were tearing it down next year?
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CADILLAC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:43 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:I'm sure I remember someone telling me that if I'd been invited to TV Centre for lunch I'd better get a move on because they were tearing it down next year?

The central ring and studio one received grade 2 listing from English heritage in July last year, the rest of it does not meet the architectual and historical criteria......

However a large proportion of the rest of it is grade 2 listed because of,"architectural attachment".....
CADILLAC

Postby Mike Nuttall » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Ah, okay Cadillac, thanks for that.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

TV Centre Tour pics

Postby The Nimon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Here's a few of my pics from the tour of TV Centre that i went on

TC3, sorry these pics are a bit dark, I've tried to lighten them but it was hard getting a decent pic in there:

Across the road from the building:

Me Posing:

The Nimon

Re: TV Centre Tour pics

Postby RANTING MANIAC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:26 pm

nice shots. thanks.

to think that's where it all comes together for our viewing pleasure. a lot of television history in those places.

i thought they were closing the place down as working studios?
RANTING MANIAC

Postby abominable snowman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Great snaps mate!
abominable snowman

Postby The Nimon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 pm

RANTING MANIAC wrote:nice shots. thanks.

to think that's where it all comes together for our viewing pleasure. a lot of television history in those places.

i thought they were closing the place down as working studios?

The tour guide was saying that the news department was being moved in 2012/13 and then the whole place would be closed down by 2015, the tour guides also said that ITV, sky and Channels 4 and 5 use the building to film things in. its sad really as it really is an iconic building. I found it amazing looking at the studios i went in as they were'nt nearly as big as i was expecting, it's amazing Doctor who and other shows managed to have sets looking so big and fitting them in the studios. Its like a small city insidethe building, some of the stuff i spotted inside really surprised me. I saw a WH Smiths, a Starbucks coffie and 2 hair dresser shops. They said that the main building is grade 2 listed but the new wings could come down.

Thanks abominable snowman glad you like them
The Nimon

Postby Kajaboy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:48 pm

The building is such an icon it will be a real shame to see it closed.

I know the Channel 4 Paul O'Grady Show was filmed there. They had to stop the Organ game because the BBC didn't have a music licence. LOL
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby Mike Nuttall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:26 pm

Thanks for posting up the photos, looks like you had an interesting day.

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby The Nimon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:Thanks for posting up the photos, looks like you had an interesting day.

Thanks Mike, yes it was a excellent day. I enjoyed it so much i'm thinking of doing it again later in the year
The Nimon

Postby CADILLAC » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:10 pm

You did well to get any photos of inside the studio the guides are great but a little security obbsessed.....
CADILLAC

Next

Return to DOCTOR WHO EVENTS