"Orlandocon" - Buyer beware

Discussion of upcoming Doctor Who events, conventions, book-signings and social gatherings.

"Orlandocon" - Buyer beware

Postby Goulagosh Gogoo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Please note, people of Florida and the southeast who may be inclined to go to the odd convention...

...Hurricane Who, the Orlando convention that collapsed at the last minute in 2015, taking with it all of its guests' ticket money, seems to have regenerated into "OrlandoCon."

The names may be different, but the websites are virtually identical, the facebook pages are virtually identical, and the lack of response to any posts requesting information on their connection to HW (unless you consider deleting my posts to be a response) is virtually identical.

I'm not saying that the people behind Hurricane Who devised a completely new convention while failing to reimburse the people they ripped off two years ago. I am however, saying that if you're interested in OrlandoCon, well, caveat emptor.
Goulagosh Gogoo

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: "Orlandocon" - Buyer beware

Postby OrlandoGeek » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:58 pm

I bought my tickets and couldn't be happier.

I am a longtime Hurricane Who attendee and understand completely why the 2015 convention failed. When people are shot at a convention in your area and attendance sales drop off, tell me what you would do.
OrlandoGeek

Postby Goulagosh Gogoo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 pm

OrlandoGeek wrote:I bought my tickets and couldn't be happier.

I am a longtime Hurricane Who attendee and understand completely why the 2015 convention failed. When people are shot at a convention in your area and attendance sales drop off, tell me what you would do.

Sounds like a horse $#!* explanation to me. Nobody was shot at a convention in Orlando in 2015, to my knowledge (and that is ABSOLUTELY NOT the reason the 2015 convention was cancelled).

However, all of HW's guests bailed in 2015, and they cancelled the convention at the very last minute - following some very cagey emails in which they weren't willing to admit their failure - screwing hundreds of people out of at least $60,00 a piece in the process. I personally lost over $200.00. Many people who were not as fortunate as I am (to have family in Orlando) had to pay for the hotels that they had reserved, because the announcement that the 2015 convention was not happening came at literally the last minute.

I'll tell you what I would have done. I would have actually refunded the money. I would have been honest with my customers. I would have responded to their emails asking about the admission to the next convention (as promised by the convention management). But mostly, I wouldn't have created an entirely different F#$%ing convention in the hope that people wouldn't notice.
Goulagosh Gogoo

Postby OrlandoGeek » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:25 am

Goulagosh Gogoo wrote:
Sounds like a horse $#!* explanation to me. Nobody was shot at a convention in Orlando in 2015, to my knowledge (and that is ABSOLUTELY NOT the reason the 2015 convention was cancelled).

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/33404660/one ... n-shooting

However, all of HW's guests bailed in 2015, and they cancelled the convention at the very last minute - following some very cagey emails in which they weren't willing to admit their failure - screwing hundreds of people out of at least $60,00 a piece in the process. I personally lost over $200.00. Many people who were not as fortunate as I am (to have family in Orlando) had to pay for the hotels that they had reserved, because the announcement that the 2015 convention was not happening came at literally the last minute.[/quote]

How exactly are there hundreds of people out money when the convention didn't even have 50 people signed up for it at the time? Yes, the event organizer is a friend of mine, but I wont let people stand by and lie publicly about their perceived version of events.

And anyone who has the time to go back onto the HW Facebook page and actually look at the datetime stamps on the posts will see that the announcement was made well outside of the hotel cancellation window.
OrlandoGeek

Postby shuzbot » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:36 pm

People seem to think this is an arena for airing personal disputes. You are wrong. I think highlighting poor quality services and products is part of what our forum is for, but as this seems to revolve around a 2015 event this goes beyond that. And using a shooting to further your argument in either direction is just crass. Move on.

Anybody who wants to know more about this can view the GB thread on it here: http://gallifreybase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226075
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Return to DOCTOR WHO EVENTS