Pink Floyd

Discussion of your favourite kinds of music.

Pink Floyd

Postby Cygnus Prime » Thu May 02, 2019 9:31 am

A confined but troubled rock star descends into madness in the midst of his physical and social isolation from everyone.

Live versions of the songs, filmed in an old Pompeii amphitheater. Songs included are Echoes (split into 2 parts), Careful with that axe, Eugene, A saucerful of secrets, One of those days, Set the controls for the heart of the sun, Mademoiselle nobbs (Seamus, but with Rick's dog on vocals). "Careful" and "Set the controls" are shot at night with minimal lighting, setting a beautiful mood. And the live Saucerful just has to be seen, with Waters jumping around in the sunlight banging the huge gong. The 80-minute version features studio footage from the recordings of Dark side of the Moon, with alternate versions of Us and them, On the run and Brain Damage, as well as interviews with the band.

So how do you rate them as a group?

What of their albums?

Any favourites?

And what do you think of their movies, above?

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Pink Floyd: Albums & Movies

Postby Black Orchid » Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Dark Side of the Moon and Piper at the Gates of Dawn are my favourite albums.

Echoes is ok, if you like Pink Floyd's longer spacey songs then I recommend you try Tago Mago by Can.
Black Orchid

Postby Rubbernecking » Thu May 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Dark Side Of The Moon first album I bought of theirs. Then Relics and A Saucerful Of Secrets.
The Endless River gets complaints it should have been an extra on The Division Bell, but I don't just see it as an album in its own right, but the perfect closing page for Pink Floyd's sound from 1968 onwards.
Never saw them live in 1994, but apparently the tickets offered were for this gig https://www.apnews.com/1d411628e46814e594c5a5c1e9b27e6b
No fatalities but still would rather not experienced that!

The Wall movie has stuck with me since seeing a friends VHS of it in 1990.
Went through obsession and rejection and now got past the "was, used to like that" stage to "actually this film is quite good!".
Rubbernecking

Postby LizR » Thu May 02, 2019 10:03 pm

I saw them perform The Wall at Wembley, so clearly I liked them enough to do that.

Piper is really an extension of Barrett's work, as in his albums The Madcap Laughs and Barrett (both excellent if a little rough).

Dark side is a stone cold classic, if badly mixed thanks to Wings getting the better recording engineer.

They produced a lot of so-so stuff between the good stuff. I like Echoes and One of these days from Meddle, some of Ummagumma, etc. I think the Wall was actually a shark-jumping moment when Roger Waters went overboard.

I like The Division Bell,however.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Re: Pink Floyd

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Is this song about Syd Barrett?

Pink Floyd - Brain Damage, Eclipse

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Rubbernecking » Sun May 12, 2019 10:44 pm

I wouldn't say Brain Damage/Eclipse is as explicit about Syd Barrett as Shine On You Crazy Diamond is.
But mental health imagery is referenced in earlier songs. "Umbrella in the rain" from A Saucerful Of Secrets' Corporal Clegg.

And the really excellent and overlooked Atom Heart Mother has "If I go insane/Please don't put your wife's in my brain" from If

Rubbernecking

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 12, 2019 10:58 pm

Rubbernecking wrote:I wouldn't say Brain Damage/Eclipse is as explicit about Syd Barrett as Shine On You Crazy Diamond is.
But mental health imagery is referenced in earlier songs. "Umbrella in the rain" from A Saucerful Of Secrets' Corporal Clegg.

And the really excellent and overlooked Atom Heart Mother has "If I go insane/Please don't put your wife's in my brain" from If

Ah, thanks for that RN. I wasn't sure. :)
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Orchid » Mon May 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Black Orchid

Postby Black Orchid » Mon May 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Black Orchid

Postby Black Orchid » Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 pm

The Look Of The Week 1967 with Hans Keller interviewing who can't stand their music.

Why does it have to be so terribly loud?
Black Orchid

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon May 13, 2019 10:15 pm

They're not usually my cup of char but I didn't mind this one...

Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb"

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Cygnus Prime » Mon May 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Used to have this single, and played the B-side fairly often too......

Another Brick In The Wall, Part Two (Official Music Video)

One Of My Turns - Vinyl recording HD

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Mon May 13, 2019 10:32 pm

And then there's this....... :?

Servalan Sings Pink Floyd

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 am

Rubbernecking wrote:I wouldn't say Brain Damage/Eclipse is as explicit about Syd Barrett as Shine On You Crazy Diamond is.

I read the above book years ago about Syd.

I know he has been painted as a tragic figure, but I wonder if he was more lucid in these later years than is popularly assumed - and that he had simply assumed a more normal - and mentally stable - existence away from the showbiz madness than people presume he did?

Or was he really a burned out wreck of a man, who needed constant supervision and care?

I remember seeing a photograph of him popping down to the corner shop and - stripping away his past - he looked just like an average bloke nipping to get a pint of milk. :?
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby LizR » Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 am

Rubbernecking wrote:And the really excellent and overlooked Atom Heart Mother has "If I go insane/Please don't put your wife's in my brain" from If

Unless I've been getting it wrong all these years, it's "please don't put your wires in my brain" - which I would say makes more sense. :shock:

While we're on the subject of the Floyd and madness, there's the album title "A momentary lapse of reason". Although I would say it's a theme that runs right through their work.

"I've been mad for f*****g years..."
"I've always been mad - I know I've been mad..."
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Tue May 14, 2019 9:36 am

Black Orchid wrote:Why does it have to be so terribly loud?

There's a volume control on YouTube... :)

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Rubbernecking » Tue May 14, 2019 11:12 am

LizR wrote:
Rubbernecking wrote:And the really excellent and overlooked Atom Heart Mother has "If I go insane/Please don't put your wife's in my brain" from If

Unless I've been getting it wrong all these years, it's "please don't put your wires in my brain" - which I would say makes more sense. :shock:

While we're on the subject of the Floyd and madness, there's the album title "A momentary lapse of reason". Although I would say it's a theme that runs right through their work.

"I've been mad for f*****g years..."
"I've always been mad - I know I've been mad..."

Hahahaha!! Autocorrect and that'll teach me for not checking!
Rubbernecking

Postby Black Orchid » Tue May 14, 2019 11:49 am

Cygnus Prime wrote:

I read the above book years ago about Syd.

I know he has been painted as a tragic figure, but I wonder if he was more lucid in these later years than is popularly assumed - and that he had simply assumed a more normal - and mentally stable - existence away from the showbiz madness than people presume he did?

Or was he really a burned out wreck of a man, who needed constant supervision and care?

I remember seeing a photograph of him popping down to the corner shop and - stripping away his past - he looked just like an average bloke nipping to get a pint of milk. :?

A very irregular head by Rob Chapman is a good read - he had access to all the people who knew Syd.

Syd/Roger spent a lot of his later life painting living mainly with his mum and later his sister. Only occasionally would he be placed into care.
Black Orchid

Postby Black Orchid » Tue May 14, 2019 11:50 am

Black Orchid

Postby Black Orchid » Tue May 14, 2019 11:51 am

Black Orchid

Next

Return to MUSIC