Pink Floyd

Discussion of your favourite kinds of music.

Re: Pink Floyd

Postby Cygnus Prime » Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote:
Rubbernecking wrote:I wouldn't say Brain Damage/Eclipse is as explicit about Syd Barrett as Shine On You Crazy Diamond is.
But mental health imagery is referenced in earlier songs. "Umbrella in the rain" from A Saucerful Of Secrets' Corporal Clegg.

And the really excellent and overlooked Atom Heart Mother has "If I go insane/Please don't put your wife's in my brain" from If

I read the above book years ago about Syd.

I know he has been painted as a tragic figure, but I wonder if he was more lucid in these later years than is popularly assumed - and that he had simply assumed a more normal - and mentally stable - existence away from the showbiz madness than people presume he did?

Or was he really a burned out wreck of a man, who needed constant supervision and care?

I remember seeing a photograph of him popping down to the corner shop and - stripping away his past - he looked just like an average bloke nipping to get a pint of milk. :?

A very irregular head by Rob Chapman is a good read - he had access to all the people who knew Syd.

Syd/Roger spent a lot of his later life painting living mainly with his mum and later his sister. Only occasionally would he be placed into care.

Syd Barrett was the lead guitarist, vocalist, and principle songwriter in the original line up of Pink Floyd. During his brief time with the band (1966-68), he was the driving force behind the unit. After he left the band he made just two further solo albums which were both released in 1970, before withdrawing from public view to lead a quiet, and occasionally troubled life in Cambridge, the town of his birth. Rob Chapman's book will be the first authoritative and exhaustively researched biography of Syd Barrett that fully celebrates his life and legacy as a musician, lyricist and artist, and which highlights the influence that he continues to have over contemporary bands and music fans alike.

Looks interesting. Thanks Orchid. :)
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby LizR » Tue May 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Those other two albums he released are great.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Cygnus Prime » Tue May 21, 2019 12:33 am

Pink Floyd track used in latest WESTWORLD season 3 trailer....... :)

WESTWORLD Thread........

http://www.planetmondas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=5933

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Tue May 21, 2019 1:13 am

The Ginger Cat wrote:They're not usually my cup of char but I didn't mind this one...

Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb"

The unedited live Pulse version is ... well there's never been a better guitar solo IMO

The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby LizR » Tue May 21, 2019 9:56 am

Lovely.

Should I sing until I can't sing anymore? Play these strings til my fingers are raw?
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby rapscallion » Tue May 21, 2019 11:18 am

Pink Floyd were one of those bands that I really tried to get into. People older than me always seemed to be enthusing about them but I just couldn't seem to *get* them. I remember playing 'Atom Heart Mother' and 'Animals' at work but they went over my head.

I own 'Dark Side Of The Moon' and 'Wish You Were Here' as they seem to be the two that most people recommended.

But the album of their's that did work for me was 'The Division Bell'. I think 'High Hopes' is a great track and rounds off a decent album.
rapscallion

Postby Cygnus Prime » Tue May 21, 2019 11:22 am

rapscallion wrote:Pink Floyd were one of those bands that I really tried to get into. People older than me always seemed to be enthusing about them but I just couldn't seem to *get* them. I remember playing 'Atom Heart Mother' and 'Animals' at work but they went over my head.

I own 'Dark Side Of The Moon' and 'Wish You Were Here' as they seem to be the two that most people recommended.

But the album of their's that did work for me was 'The Division Bell'. I think 'High Hopes' is a great track and rounds off a decent album.

High Hopes (Official Music Video)

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Rubbernecking » Tue May 21, 2019 12:12 pm

Poor audio given circumstances but still

Comfortably Numb - Roger Waters

Rubbernecking

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Tue May 21, 2019 10:40 pm

rapscallion wrote:Pink Floyd were one of those bands that I really tried to get into. People older than me always seemed to be enthusing about them but I just couldn't seem to *get* them. I remember playing 'Atom Heart Mother' and 'Animals' at work but they went over my head.

I think all the band members regarded Atom Heart Mother as their worst album, so it's perhaps not the best one to listen to, to get into the band.

Roger Waters
If somebody said to me now: "Right...here's a million pounds, go out and play 'Atom Heart Mother'", I'd say: "You must be f----g joking... I'm not playing that rubbish!".

David Gilmour
I listened to that album recently: God, it's sh--, possibly our lowest point artistically. Atom Heart Mother sounds like we didn't have any idea between us

My first taste as a full album was The Division Bell. I always thought they were pretentious wankers, but that was based entirely on The Wall and the whole shebang that came along with it. :)

Then I got into Dark Side when I saw the Pulse tour on BBC tv and there was a documentary on before that, which really opened my eyes to the band. I can't stand the Syd Barrett years and all that psychedlic bullshittery before Dark Side though
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby LizR » Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 pm

rapscallion wrote:But the album of their's that did work for me was 'The Division Bell'. I think 'High Hopes' is a great track and rounds off a decent album.

Probably my favourite (track and album), all things considered.

How can you not like "Shine on you crazy diamond" ? Where else will you hear a 20-minute intro followed by a fairly MOR song?!

Also have you tried "Piper at the gates of dawn" - from before they became "rock music for geriatrics" as one critic famously put it (now becoming increasingly true...) ?

Hartnell's Wig wrote:I always thought they were pretentious Shawshankers, but that was based entirely on The Wall and the whole shebang that came along with it. :)

"The Wall" was when I went off them big time, rather than making allowances for the odd 9 minute noodle. It has some great tracks - a friend of mine at the time who was a teacher was dead against "Another brick" because of the "we don't need no education" etc, which made it a bit of a hit with school kids (their only hit that I know of). But overall it was their "lamb lies down" moment.

Mind you I was getting into punk around then so maybe that also put me off slow 20 minute songs full of synths.
Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby rapscallion » Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 am

Hartnell's Wig wrote:I think all the band members regarded Atom Heart Mother as their worst album, so it's perhaps not the best one to listen to, to get into the band.

Roger Waters
If somebody said to me now: "Right...here's a million pounds, go out and play 'Atom Heart Mother'", I'd say: "You must be f----g joking... I'm not playing that rubbish!".

David Gilmour
I listened to that album recently: God, it's sh--, possibly our lowest point artistically. Atom Heart Mother sounds like we didn't have any idea between us

Ah. No wonder I struggled with the album if the people that produced it can't bear to go anywhere near it :lol:
rapscallion

Postby rapscallion » Wed May 22, 2019 6:10 am

LizR wrote:Also have you tried "Piper at the gates of dawn" - from before they became "rock music for geriatrics" as one critic famously put it (now becoming increasingly true...) ?

I haven't. I'll track it down and give it a listen.
rapscallion

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:53 am

Syd walks into the studio after 7 years without contact.

While "Wish you were here" was recorded by Pink Floyd.
Coincidence ?

Syd Barrett's visit

On 5 June 1975, on the eve of Pink Floyd's second US tour that year, Gilmour married his first wife, Ginger.[nb 2] That day, the band were completing the mix of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"[nb 3] when an overweight man with shaven head and eyebrows entered, carrying a plastic bag. Waters did not recognise him.[7] Gilmour presumed he was an EMI staff member.[21] Wright presumed he was a friend of Waters, but realised it was Barrett.[24] Mason also failed to recognise him and was "horrified" when Gilmour identified him. In Mason's Pink Floyd memoir Inside Out, he recalled Barrett's conversation as "desultory and not entirely sensible".[25] Storm Thorgerson reflected on Barrett's presence: "Two or three people cried. He sat round and talked for a bit but he wasn't really there."[26]

Waters was reportedly reduced to tears by the sight of his former bandmate. When fellow visitor Andrew King asked how Barrett had gained so much weight, Barrett said he had a large refrigerator in his kitchen and had been eating lots of pork chops. He mentioned that he was ready to help with the recording, but while listening to the mix of "Shine On", showed no signs of understanding its relevance to him. Barrett joined Gilmour's wedding reception in the EMI canteen, but left without saying goodbye. It was the last time the band members saw Barrett until his death in 2006.[27] Barrett's appearance may have influenced the final version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"; a subtle refrain performed by Wright from "See Emily Play" is audible towards the end.[25]

I'm very sad about Syd. Of course he was important and the band would never have f*****g started without him because he was writing all the material. It couldn't have happened without him but on the other hand it couldn't have gone on with him. "Shine On" is not really about Syd—he's just a symbol for all the extremes of absence some people have to indulge in because it's the only way they can cope with how f*****g sad it is, modern life, to withdraw completely. I found that terribly sad. —Roger Waters[28]

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby LizR » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:56 am

They get a mention in the editorial of the latest Scientific American.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/at-scientific-american/introducing-the-november-2019-issue/

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:33 am

Black Orchid wrote:.

Love this track, and indeed this album.

Who else has ever written lyrics like (from memory)

it's no good trying to put your hand where I can't see because I understand that you're different from me
Yes I can see that you can't be what you pretend
And its rocking towards me and sideways and ... er ... something... with electric lights going very fast...

Or something like that. I'm going to have to look it up now.

If anyone's interested, the actual lyrics appear to be further out than I remembered - https://genius.com/Syd-barrett-no-good-trying-lyrics

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:34 am

LizR wrote:They get a mention in the editorial of the latest Scientific American.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/at-scientific-american/introducing-the-november-2019-issue/

By a super Whovian coincidence (or is it?!) the article in question is about "time crystals".

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Black Orchid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:05 am

Black Orchid

Postby LizR » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:08 am

Those are all basically Syd. Everything after Saucerful is the rest of them, with Roger Waters being the predominant influence on "The Wall" and then leaving. So they were a bit of a mixed bag, creatively.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Previous

Return to MUSIC