THE LOST PETER CUSHING DR.WHO RADIO SERIES: Pilot Episode

Amateur non-profit making fan productions designed to celebrate the expanding Doctor Who universe.

I'm giving this recreation a solid......

No votes
No votes
No votes
67%
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH?: I'm not sitting through this lot!
No votes

Total votes : 3

THE LOST PETER CUSHING DR.WHO RADIO SERIES: Pilot Episode

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 10, 2020 5:12 pm

ImageImage

Recorded and then lost.

With a script by Malcolm Hulke.

Journey into Time was the first episode of a Doctor Who Radio series written by Malcolm Hulke from Stanmark Productions that was actually recorded in 1966 but then the tapes have been sadly lost. The Doctor was played by the late Peter Cushing but nobody knows who played the other actors and it's anyone's guess as to what it originally sounded like.... So, Bandril Productions have recreated this lost half hour radio classic.

Voiceover announcer played by Jim Moon
Dr. Who played by Jim Moon
Susan played by Tegan Harris
Teacher (Miss Jennings) played by Laura King
George played by Lee Orchard
Mike played by Marty Perrett
Mr Logan played by Danny Davies
Inspector played by J.R Southall
Launder played by Sean Homrig

Edited by Westley James Smith
Produced by Beermat Productions

PILOT EPISODE
"Journey Into Time"

by Malcolm Hulke

Can be heard here.....

https://www.mixcloud.com/beermatproduct ... into-time/

But - as a fan recreation of a sadly lost episode - how do you rate it?

And do you have the original recording somewhere in your attic? :?

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: THE LOST PETER CUSHING DR.WHO RADIO SERIES: Pilot Episod

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Further details....

Doctor Who - Journey into Time radio play (lost radio program pilot; 1966-1967)

https://lostmediawiki.com/Doctor_Who_-_ ... _1966-1967)

Journey into Time was the pilot to a planned radio show based off of the British Sci-Fi TV series Doctor Who.

A pilot episode was made and a further 52 episodes were planned. However, the series did not receive further production and the pilot never aired.

Production
The show was to be a collaboration between Stanmark Productions and Watermill Productions. The only confirmed cast member is Peter Cushing, who was to play the titular main character. Many would think Cushing would play Dr. Who, the human inventor from the two non-canon 1960s Doctor Who movies: 1965's Dr. Who and the Daleks and 1966's Daleks-Invasion Earth 2150A.D. also made by Stanmark Productions, however, this is unlikely as advertising made no mention of the movies, just the TV show. Also, Peter Cushing wasn't the original choice; the original choice was Boris Karloff, who turned down the role.

Plot
The pilot featured a character named Mike, who went to Secondary School with a girl named Susan, finding out that she and her grandfather, Dr. Who, were humans from the far future where time travel was possible and they had taken the TARDIS, Dr. Who's time machine, back to the 1960s and enrolled Susan in school after many of their adventures through time and space. They were ready to continue their adventures, but Susan wanted to take Mike along. Mike agrees to go and they go back to the American Revolution. In the end, Mike wants to go home but it's revealed that Dr. Who and Susan can't control when or where the TARDIS lands.

Availability
Although the pilot itself has never surfaced, the pilot's script, written by Malcolm Hulke, was found in the BBC archives in 2012 by Richard Bignell. Richard Bignell remains hopeful to find the pilot itself, claiming that at least two copies are known to have been made.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2012/01/dw ... cript.html

A long-lost radio script for an episode of a proposed Doctor Who radio series, to be made in the late sixties, and starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor, has been discovered in the BBC archives.

Journey into Time was written by Malcolm Hulke, who went on to write some of the most regarded scripts of the classic series of Doctor Who. In the radio play, a pilot of which was recorded but never broadcast, the Doctor, accompanied by his granddaughter, ends up in the midst of the American Revolution. The recording has been lost for many years.

The series was proposed as a collaboration between independent company Stanmark Productions and Watermill Productions, who put forward plans for 52 episodes to be made for Australia and other overseas territories. It would star Cushing, who had previously played a character called 'Doctor Who' in the two Dalek movies made earlier in the decade. Its existence was known about through promotional material discovered in 1989, but the script was thought lost until it was discovered by Richard Bignell in a file of merchandising queries held in the BBC archives.

The series was rejected by the BBC with Martin Esslin, head of sound drama, saying: "As a typical commercial production for unsophisticated listeners in Australia or even some parts of the United States, it stands up quite well. As a piece of science fiction, however, it strikes me as extremely feeble."

https://cuttingsarchive.org/images/thum ... _Times.jpg

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Thu May 21, 2020 6:58 pm

And now it's being novelised.....

https://obversebooks.co.uk/product/dr-w ... into-time/

Description

The eighth book – and first anthology – in the Cushing Dr Who series of charity releases, this time raising money for NHS charities.

TO BE PUBLISHED JUNE 2020.

See also....

OBVERSE BOOKS: Anyone Collect These?:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8004

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Tue May 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Listening to the above episode, I am left with a feeling that we wuz robbed.

Sure nothing much happens in this episode, which is a kind of retread of AN UNEARTHLY CHILD, episode 1.

The people recreating the original recording (which might surely be out there somewhere) do their best and I could easily imagine that this isn't - in essence - too different from the original taped show.

But it's only a pilot, so it's not fair, imo, to expect too much from it - be it the actual recording or this retread. It sets the radio series up and sets it up neatly. Greater things could surely have followed?

In some alternative universe I like to think all 52 proposed episodes got made and we had radio visits to Vortis and many other retreads with a Cushing spin? :)
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:28 pm

https://cultbox.co.uk/features/lists/ac ... doctor-who

Moving away from the official Doctors, back in 1965 the BBC put the wheels in motion for a Doctor Who radio serial, recording a pilot titled ‘Journey Into Time’ set largely during the American Revolution. So the question of the hour was who could be the Doctor.

A UK resident for much of his retirement; horror movie legend and many people’s definitive Frankenstein’s Monster Boris Karloff was approached by the BBC but declined the role, which was eventually filled by Peter Cushing. Had Karloff accepted the part; he would have remained the oldest Doctor to this day, being seventy-eight years old when the pilot was recorded.

No full radio series starring Peter Cushing was ever made and, like so much of 1960s Doctor Who, the recordings of the pilot are lost in time. The jury’s out on whether or not the Doctor threw the episode into a supernova because he disagreed with it.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to FAN VIDEO & AUDIO PRODUCTIONS