Shada Animated (2017)

Forum to discuss Doctor Who animations, official or unofficial.

Shada

No votes
No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2
ericthehalfabee

shuzbot wrote:
"Doctor Who: Shada will be released on Friday 24th November, first as a digital download and then on DVD and Blu-ray on Monday 4th December."
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-10- ... tom-baker/
Ah the perils of being a rumourer :lol:
-JMW-

Ian L's side, which he posted on GB:
"It is all too easy to kick a man when he is down. I made Shada because I CARED. I wasted two years of my life trusting and believing in Dan Hall's whims. I'm an all too easy target for short sighted ignorant Doctor Who fans who think they are internet warriors. But while they hurtfully spout venom and criticise, I actually got off my arse and did something.

Considering my past generosity, I think the BBC have treated me appallingly and metaphorically spat in my face. This is my last post ever on here. I feel betrayed by Doctor Who, both over this appalling Shada injustice and over Chibnall's casting choices.

In the 1970s I bought legal copies of all the old existing episodes at £500 a film print (money which the BBC kept) which LITERALLY saved all the black and white Hartnells and Troughtons from being destroyed forever. I returned over 20 missing episodes to the BBC. I now wish I hadn't.

I have more important things in my life - things which don't bring me misery pain and suffering.

GOODBYE GALLIFREY BASE "

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Primal Fear wrote:Ian's taking it well:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/09 ... animation/
Thanks for that. Dare I say that it wasn't £40 000 of his own money, as far as I recall?

Also, Ian's version looks well ahead of this in terms of drawing of the characters.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

So they announced Shada on the very day an utter bast*rd at BBC DVD rejected the packaging I'd been working on for 4 months. f*****g great

https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/stat ... 2186403840

Producer near to tears, everything now taken out of our hands. A massive waste of time and effort. Thanks a million BBC DVD. I could scream.
Clayton Hickman, not happy :cry:
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

I think the £40k amount is wrong. It has been mentioned to be £25 before
ericthehalfabee

shuzbot wrote:
I'd struggle to get a decent couple of pizzas for £25! :D
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

A slip of the keyboard, that should be £25k, obvs (you facetious rodent) :)

ericthehalfabee

shuzbot wrote:A slip of the keyboard, that should be £25k, obvs (you facetious rodent) :)

Ah the ollld slip of a keyboard excuse.
-JMW-

shuzbot wrote:
That might have been part of the initial problem....BBCW may not have been content to accept IL's Shada in the first place if unsure on the figures. It may also have been deemed potentially frustrating to have to consult him in the editing process.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

shuzbot wrote:A slip of the keyboard, that should be £25k, obvs (you facetious rodent) :)

You ratist!

And don't you go around using pictures of my (distant... very, very distant) cousin Roland to highlight your ratism. ;)
Plain Old Dave

To get back to the OP, "Why Shada?" Simple. Money. The largest part of DW fandom is younger baby boomers and Gen Xers like me, and Tom Baker is our Doctor. Ask your average 35-50 year old what DW is if they're not a fan, dollars to donuts their answer'll be something like "isn't that that old British show about the guy with the long scarf and the phone booth?"

I'll get it when it comes out.
PhilipG

Ian's animation looks superior to my eyes (but time will tell), so maybe some enterprising spark can create a hybrid version with Tom's voice? ;) :kamelion: :4thDoctor:
TeaGarden

I don't mind Levine, but quotes like this are a bit mental:
Knowing that I spent £41,000 on remaking Shada, money I could ill afford
It's like me saying "Oh, I can't afford to pay my mortgage this month, but never mind, I'll make a cartoon version of The Nightmare Fair with all my savings".

:roll:
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Who needs food and warmth when you can have an animated version of The Nightmare Fair?
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

-JMW- wrote:
shuzbot wrote:
That might have been part of the initial problem....BBCW may not have been content to accept IL's Shada in the first place if unsure on the figures. It may also have been deemed potentially frustrating to have to consult him in the editing process.

He offered it them for free after the initial rejection, ISTR.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

shuzbot wrote:
So they announced Shada on the very day an utter bast*rd at BBC DVD rejected the packaging I'd been working on for 4 months. f*****g great

https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/stat ... 2186403840

Producer near to tears, everything now taken out of our hands. A massive waste of time and effort. Thanks a million BBC DVD. I could scream.
Clayton Hickman, not happy :cry:
He's getting paid.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
-JMW-

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
-JMW- wrote: That might have been part of the initial problem....BBCW may not have been content to accept IL's Shada in the first place if unsure on the figures. It may also have been deemed potentially frustrating to have to consult him in the editing process.
He offered it them for free after the initial rejection, ISTR.
I doubt it'd have been "free" and without ties. There would have been all kinds of royalty and rights issues and contracts to sort out...and then there's the matter of Tom Baker's approval - a potentially sensitive topic.
Can't really blame anyone for not championing it - hot potato.

JMW

Was it just his money? Didn't he hace investors? And no mention of the low pay animators and artists.
sawdust

Does anybody running BBCW these days even know anything about Ian's version?
Every Doctor deserves a chance!
Ian Levine
The Consultant
The Consultant

shuzbot wrote:
When it was being legitimately considered by BBC Worldwide, in 2012, Ed Stradling sat down with me and painstakingly worked out every penny it had cost to make including studio and actors fees. It came to £41,000. Any previous rough assumptions of £25,000 were proved wrong by Ed Stradling and his detailed economics. I had forgotten the previous assumption of £25,000 because Ed's calculations proved I had omitted loads of costs.

Return to “DOCTOR WHO ANIMATION - OFFICIAL & UNOFFICIAL”

• Information