THREADS - how not to restore things

Forum for discussion of restoration, colour recovery, early broadcast methods, reverse standards conversion, and so on.

THREADS - how not to restore things

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:37 am

This post is nominally about hideous that BBC drama-documentary about Nuclear War from 1984, "THREADS", which as I'm sure you know is one of the best bits of television ever broadcast, and certainly better than 'Planet of Fire' or whatever other nonsense Doctor Who was showing in 1984 :D

But anyways - as was typical at the time, it was shot on 16mm film, edited and then 'telecined' to 625-line PAL videotape for broadcast. And so, then, you get grainy dirty scratchy, hairy footage that then 'film-wobbles' like a bouncing rabbit on the PAL (and that's quite before you get horiztonal black streak from video tape dropout...)

It had been released on DVD in that state in the noughties, and looked a bit bleurgh.

But last month, US company Severin Films finally released it on BluRay, claiming it was "fully restored from a 2K scan".
https://severin-films.com/shop/threads-bluray/
"Oh goody!" I though, imagining they'd been able to go back and re-digitize the original film materials, and give us a hugely better, sharper, cleaner, more stable picture.
Have they BOLLOCKS!
They've clearly just gotten a copy of the transmission video tape and upscaled that onto BluRay. It looks like balls!

Really makes you appreciate how good some of the Restoration Team and Network curation of old telly can be.

Annoyingly, I gather that Simply Media are bringing out a UK DVD release this month that HAS been restored by some of the Restoration Team people, working from a "CRI" film print (a colour-reversed print made from the camera negs, I think that is?)
So although it's gonna be on DVD not BluRay, it'll probably look a bazillion times better than the BluRay I just spent the best part of £30 on.

:roll:
'teleportNOW!'

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: THREADS - how not to restore things

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 am

so what happened in the end is that Simply Media listened to the woe and gnashing of teeth, managed to get a licence to bring out their restored version on BluRay after all, and allowed people who'd bought their DVD to send it to them in the post, and they sent them back a BluRay!

what a marvellous happy ending! :D
'teleportNOW!'

Postby shuzbot » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:28 pm

Is there a Threads thread in the TV section? I couldn't find one. Saw it last night and the directing is brilliant, why couldn't who have had that? :?

The mock BBC warnings about fall out were especially chilling.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Yes, I'm getting chillz even just typing about it.

The narrator's voice (Paul Vaughan - stalwart of Horizon and BBC Radio 4) just has such 'authority' for me (see also: Leslie Judd) - those dispassionate, reithian tones of The Beeb were at the centre of my national identity as a child. Hearing them tell me WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE is so powerful.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby shuzbot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Now with added Chuck Norris!
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to TECHNICAL WHO