Upscaling DVDs

Forum for discussion of restoration, colour recovery, early broadcast methods, reverse standards conversion, and so on.
Deetz74

Folks - apologies if this has been covered.

Have a 4K TV - not too happy with quality on my old Who DVDs esp. the Billy and Pat ones.

I suspect that my El Cheapo DVD player - with no upscale function - is partially to blame & I'm also using component instead of HDMI cable.

Wondering of anyone has experienced improvement to the classic DVDs by using a DVD player with upscale functionality + a 4K TV?

Also if there any views on component vs. HDMI cables - does the 1080i vs 1080p make a diff?

Help as always appreciated :Tardis:
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
'teleportNOW!'

well, HMDI is the superior way to connect, as with component, you're converting from digital to analogue, then the telly has to upscale the analogue. Does your player not have an HDMI output socket?

I haven't noticed any particular difference between letting my player upscale things, or having the telly do it. DVD is always gonna look a bit crap when you're used to BluRay or 4K
Deetz74

'teleportNOW!' wrote:well, HMDI is the superior way to connect, as with component, you're converting from digital to analogue, then the telly has to upscale the analogue. Does your player not have an HDMI output socket?

I haven't noticed any particular difference between letting my player upscale things, or having the telly do it. DVD is always gonna look a bit crap when you're used to BluRay or 4K
Cheers for this - have been used to lower res / on an older + smaller LED TV > Just notice it so much more now on my 4K tele.

Yet to make the bluray / 4K player move.

Will crack on with HDMI for now + the upscale DVD / bluray player - overdue I guess :)

Will report back on any improvement / successes
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
'teleportNOW!'

Honestly, you can buy a perfectly decent BluRay player for not more than the price of a couple of BluRay discs, so I would never see much reason not to get one :)
'UHD' 4K players are a bit more pricey - although frankly there aren't many 4K discs on the market to buy to watch on them!

I experimented this weekend with changing my settings -
previously my bluray player had been set to 'source direct' mode (which meant it didn't upscale anything, and let the telly do it instead). I'd been bugged by some juddery motion I tended to get on horizontal panning shots.

So I've switch it to 'upscale everything to 4K' now (so the player upscales stuff, not the telly).
Tentatively that seems to be working better than giving less judder (although I haven't watched many discs that way yet!)

(I mean, it entirely depends on your own telly and/or player as to which settings will work best. )

Return to “TECHNICAL WHO”

• Information