12%

Total votes : 217

Rate "The Magician's Apprentice"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Rate Ep1 "The Magician's Apprentice".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "The Magician's Apprentice"

Postby PJEckenheim » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:32 pm

That one solidly mangaged WORST SCRIPT EVER. By far. No discernible story line, not the tiniest sense of continuity whatsoever, just some shiny effects and mindblowingly bad acting.

"Know him since he was a little girl"?! Yes, well, after making Nick Courtney's beloved Brigadier a Cyberzombie, why not retcon William Hartnell's First Doctor into having been played some Wilhelmina Hartnellova? That totally works out, and is in no way disrespectful of beloved actors...

For the record: Skaro is NOT "where it all started"... not even the televised stories!!! "An Unearthly Child / 100.000 BC", anyone with at least the tiniest bit of a memory remember, maybe?!

:death:

If there had been a "ZERO" option in the poll, that "story" would have deserved it...
PJEckenheim

Postby chap with wings » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:34 pm

way way better than I could ever have expected from a Moffat script. nailed it. Missy was superb, Capaldi is THE Doctor. Most excellent
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:35 pm

I thought it was really good actually. Though the scene with the tank and electric guitar was cringe worthy and some of Missy's dialogue was irritating (I liked her a lot better in this than in series 8 for the most part).

I'd give it an 8.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby KINGSTON FRIZZ » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:35 pm

PJEckenheim wrote:That one solidly mangaged WORST SCRIPT EVER. By far. No discernible story line, not the tiniest sense of continuity whatsoever, just some shiny effects and mindblowingly bad acting.

"Know him since he was a little girl"?! Yes, well, after making Nick Courtney's beloved Brigadier a Cyberzombie, why not retcon William Hartnell's First Doctor into having been played some Wilhelmina Hartnellova? That totally works out, and is in no way disrespectful of beloved actors...

For the record: Skaro is NOT "where it all started"... not even the televised stories!!! "An Unearthly Child / 100.000 BC", anyone with at least the tiniest bit of a memory remember, maybe?!

If there had been a "ZERO" option in the poll, that "story" would have deserved it...

Yawn.

I give it a solid 8. Very enjoyable.
KINGSTON FRIZZ

Postby 165your4 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:36 pm

8/10.

I probably would've given it a 9 if I hadn't read spoilers about it beforehand, ruining some of the surprises.
165your4
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby Bored of Canada » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:36 pm

KINGSTON FRIZZ wrote:
PJEckenheim wrote:That one solidly mangaged WORST SCRIPT EVER. By far. No discernible story line, not the tiniest sense of continuity whatsoever, just some shiny effects and mindblowingly bad acting.

Yawn.

What a great response. You certainly showed him he was wrong.
In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country
Bored of Canada

Postby Bored of Canada » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:37 pm

also should i watch this if i am a hopeless sucker for 60's dalek stuff or are they in it for like five seconds
Bored of Canada

Postby KINGSTON FRIZZ » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Bored of Canada wrote:
KINGSTON FRIZZ wrote:

Yawn.

Don't fret, I made a thread for you both: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4238
KINGSTON FRIZZ

Postby 165your4 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Bored of Canada wrote:also should i watch this if i am a hopeless sucker for 60's dalek stuff or are they in it for like five seconds

They do more than in Asylum of the Daleks, and the first Dalek we see is a 60's one, although it only gets one line.
165your4
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby ratkat » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Not sure what I thought of it - probably because I am in shock that I had just randomly watched Genesis of the Daleks this morning for the first time in 18 years, and then little Davros shows up!

First few minutes were brilliant, actually - until we got to Clara in the classroom....the dubstep music almost made me turn off, but I stuck with it and once the Doc got to Skaro, things picked up - and actually, quite a good cliffhanger....
ratkat

Postby The Nimon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Bored of Canada wrote:also should i watch this if i am a hopeless sucker for 60's dalek stuff or are they in it for like five seconds

Nice mix of Daleks but takes a while for them to turn up
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby PJEckenheim » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:42 pm

well... KIND of... but there's also the classic Moffat human-with-a-Dalek-eyestalk-coming-through-the-head. (Which I found annoyingly illogical when it was first introduced during the Smith-era.)
PJEckenheim

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Very good. I enjoyed it.

Full of suspence, a nice nod to the RTD era and good to see Kate Lethbridge-Stewart Stuart back. Also nice to see the old sixties Daleks and a very good cliffhanger.

10 out of 10. :D
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby Bored of Canada » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:43 pm

KINGSTON FRIZZ wrote:
Bored of Canada wrote:
KINGSTON FRIZZ wrote:

Yawn.

Don't fret, I mad a thread for you both: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4238

"mad" is the right word for it

cause you're mad

get it

Everyone else: Okay, cool. Dislike the New Series, but always liked how they've handled the Dalek aesthetic.
Bored of Canada

Postby The Long Scarf » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Very enjoyable episode with a very good cliffhanger. I want to see the second episode before I make my final judgement.

By the way, Missy was lieing when she said about the Doctor being a little girl. (She did say that one of her statements was a lie. I'm sure that people will interpret it how they wish, though...)

I look forward to the next episode.
Madame Nostradamus - a witty little knitter!
The Long Scarf

Postby Bored of Canada » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:44 pm

PJEckenheim wrote:

well... KIND of... but there's also the classic Moffat human-with-a-Dalek-eyestalk-coming-through-the-head. (Which I found annoyingly illogical when it was first introduced during the Smith-era.)

I actually didn't mind that. But yeah, it'd be nice if they were just normal humans who were Dalek agents/slaves/zombies or whatever. Dalek mind control is cool.
Bored of Canada

Postby KINGSTON FRIZZ » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/doc ... 51156.html Looks like the haters are in the minority. Both here and elsewhere.
KINGSTON FRIZZ

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:45 pm

chap with wings wrote:way way better than I could ever have expected from a Moffat script. nailed it. Missy was superb, Capaldi is THE Doctor. Most excellent

I don't think Heccypoo's going to like it then! :lol:
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby The Nimon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Pertty much awsome, loved it. Nice creepy start and slow build up, this is a 2 parter people. Love how is based on that line from Genesis, i think BF did something like that once. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out. Indid try and give it a 10 but my tab decided to be rubbish and moved it down to six, so a 10 from me.

To save time later, the line 'I knew him when he was a little girl' was followed by the line 'One of them is a lie' that is unless people arenow saying that there was a Doctor before Hartnell, after years of saying there wasn't ;)
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Next

Return to SERIES 9