Moffat Confirmed For Series 10

For discussion of series 10 of Doctor Who starring Peter Capaldi

Re: Moffat Confirmed For Series 10

Postby Heccypoo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:24 pm

I'd say popuality and ratings have everything to do with quality. If something was poor quality people wouldn't watch it, certainly not the number of people that are

I have to disagree with you there. Joe Public will watch anything, regardless of quality...

If something is promoted enough, a lot of the time, but not always I grant you, audiences lap it up.

Shows that appeal to the petty side of humans, The Jeremy Kyle Show, The X factor, Britains Got Talent, Big Brother etc etc. are poor quality 'voyeurism' shows.

It's a part of human nature to mock at the poorly educated, the slightly deluded and the arrrogant.

Seeing someone fail brings great joy to some. I'm talking about 'ordinary' people who do the failing, not TV professionals who can use all the tricks to manipulate audiences.

It's the Roman Gladiatorial games and watching Christians been thrown to the lions updated for the 21st century.

Bread and Circuses...

As for the writing on drama series now, it is a factory production line...

True, it's always been like that to a certain degree, but now, it's an even more cynical process.

Instead of writing a good story, it's calculated for emotional moments and tick box characters.
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby The Nimon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Heccypoo wrote:
I'd say popuality and ratings have everything to do with quality. If something was poor quality people wouldn't watch it, certainly not the number of people that are

I have to disagree with you there. Joe Public will watch anything, regardless of quality...

If something is promoted enough, a lot of the time, but not always I grant you, audiences lap it up.

Shows that appeal to the petty side of humans, The Jeremy Kyle Show, The X factor, Britains Got Talent, Big Brother etc etc. are poor quality 'voyeurism' shows.

It's a part of human nature to mock at the poorly educated, the slightly deluded and the arrrogant.

Seeing someone fail brings great joy to some. I'm talking about 'ordinary' people who do the failing, not TV professionals who can use all the tricks to manipulate audiences.

It's the Roman Gladiatorial games and watching Christians been thrown to the lions updated for the 21st century.

True, it's always been like that to a certain degree, but now, it's an even more cynical process.

Instead of writing a good story, it's calculated for emotional moments and tick box characters.

Some might but the viewers would drop off after a while, not stay steady for 10 years. Its a wonder how some of these shows get the ratings they do but then we don't all like the same things. I can't stand X Factor, other friends like it, its a fact of life with everything, music, books films and TV
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby Heccypoo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:43 pm

The Nimon wrote:
Heccypoo wrote:

Some might but the viewers would drop off after a while, not stay steady for 10 years. Its a wonder how some of these shows get the ratings they do but then we don't all like the same things. I can't stand X Factor, other friends like it, its a fact of life with everything, music, books films and TV

The X Factor and Jeremy Kyle have stayed very steady for 10 years.

Though the X Factor has dropped off recently.

Jeremy Kyle goes from strength to strength.

It's perfectly true that we all don't like the same things.

But it's not quailty, it's about manipulation. It's making you want to watch something.

There's a new sci fi drama about robots called Humans on Channel 4.

I've not watched it, but there's a trailer for it during nearly every ad break on Channel 4 & it's sister channel E4.

Like how Radio 1 had a playlist of songs that record comany's wanted plugged, the public are bombarded with reailer after trailer for everything that the TV station brings out.

It doesn't always work (Atlantis anyone?) but TV Execs are basically telling us what we will watch.

No TV is done without focus groups and aiming for demographics and other bullsh*t.

The joy of being just 'good' has long gone...
Heccypoo

Postby cyberlad » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:34 pm

There's a new sci fi drama about robots called Humans on Channel 4. I've not watched it, but there's a trailer for it during nearly every ad break on Channel 4 & it's sister channel E4.

Of course there going to promote it heavily it's a new drama and they want to get people to watch.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby bobmcpherson » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:39 pm

The Nimon wrote:I'm not really going to go though all those points tonight.

How can you call the UK audience a bunch of asses (its arse btw) when you lot in the US got shiws such as Quantum Leap canceled ;)

The English ability to misspell is boundless.................
bobmcpherson

Postby iank » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:48 pm

Heccypoo wrote:
The Nimon wrote:
Heccypoo wrote:

But it's not quailty, it's about manipulation. It's making you want to watch something.

I've not watched it, but there's a trailer for it during nearly every ad break on Channel 4 & it's sister channel E4.

Like how Radio 1 had a playlist of songs that record comany's wanted plugged, the public are bombarded with reailer after trailer for everything that the TV station brings out.

It doesn't always work (Atlantis anyone?) but TV Execs are basically telling us what we will watch.

No TV is done without focus groups and aiming for demographics and other bullsh*t.

The joy of being just 'good' has long gone...[/quo+

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby The Nimon » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:22 am

Heccypoo wrote:

The joy of being just 'good' has long gone...

Yes but to be fair mate, Jeremy Kyle doesn't get the ratings that Doctor Who gets does it? We're talking and 1 to 2 million viewers at most. I can't comment on Humans but it might be good.

Well of course they're going to advertise things, how else will people know if they're on? Are they really telling us that we must watch these though? I can remember trailers for Doctor Who being shown a lot back in the 80s and there was the season trailer done for season 17 that's floating about some where.

The Ratings are still a good way to look at how popular shows are, over seas ratings are another to look at, another thing to look at is how the merchandise is selling and Who merchandise still sells very well. I might even point out that new series stuff, like the dvds, out sells the Classic stuff.
The Nimon

Postby The Nimon » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:23 am

bobmcpherson wrote:

How can you call the UK audience a bunch of asses (its arse btw) when you lot in the US got shiws such as Quantum Leap canceled ;)

I think you'll find its the US getting things wrong, it is called English after all ;)
The Nimon

Postby Allons-y » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:39 am

The Nimon wrote:
bobmcpherson wrote:

I think you'll find its the US getting things wrong, it is called English after all ;)

You yanks wouldn't know correct spelling if it came up and bit you, the word you're after is arse, an ass is a donkey.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby LizR » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:29 am

Noah Webster took the letter 'u' out of as many words as possible because he thought it stood for "unAmerican".

(Either that or he was in love with gliness. The jry is still ot.)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Heccypoo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:23 am

cyberlad wrote:
There's a new sci fi drama about robots called Humans on Channel 4. I've not watched it, but there's a trailer for it during nearly every ad break on Channel 4 & it's sister channel E4.

Of course there going to promote it heavily it's a new drama and they want to get people to watch.

There's promotion, then there's saturation. It's more of a saturation these days
Heccypoo

Postby Heccypoo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:26 am

Well of course they're going to advertise things, how else will people know if they're on? Are they really telling us that we must watch these though? I can remember trailers for Doctor Who being shown a lot back in the 80s and there was the season trailer done for season 17 that's floating about some where.

It's just blanket saturation these days....

Fair enough have trailers, but it's trust trailer and sneak peak and trailer and sneak peak and behind the scenes non stop...
Heccypoo

Postby The Nimon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:33 pm

LizR wrote:Noah Webster took the letter 'u' out of as many words as possible because he thought it stood for "unAmerican".

(Either that or he was in love with gliness. The jry is still ot.)

:lol:
The Nimon

Postby The Nimon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Heccypoo wrote:

Fair enough have trailers, but it's trust trailer and sneak peak and trailer and sneak peak and behind the scenes non stop...

Well we do have to remember that we are in a multi-channel age these days. Back in the 70, 80s and 90s there was only 4 or 5 main channels to fight for the viewers, how many is there on Freeview now? A lot more where the TV companies have to fight for the viewers so of course they're going to advertise the hell out of their big shows.
The Nimon

Postby Heccypoo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:07 pm

The Nimon wrote:
Heccypoo wrote:

Well we do have to remember that we are in a multi-channel age these days. Back in the 70, 80s and 90s there was only 4 or 5 main channels to fight for the viewers, how many is there on Freeview now? A lot more where the TV companies have to fight for the viewers so of course they're going to advertise the hell out of their big shows.

The multi channel theory doesn't really hold, as most of it is just repeats.

Very little new TV apart from ITV, BBC, Channel 4 & 5 and SKY.

Loads of back to back showings of Simpsons and STAR TREK, FRIENDS and FRASIER, ad nauseam...
Heccypoo

Postby The Nimon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:21 pm

Heccypoo wrote:
The multi channel theory doesn't really hold, as most of it is just repeats.

Very little new TV apart from ITV, BBC, Channel 4 & 5 and SKY.

Loads of back to back showings of Simpsons and STAR TREK, FRIENDS and FRASIER, ad nauseam...

Yes but each one of them have multiple channels with new shows on. ITV has 3, BBC has 6 Channels, 4 has 2, 5 have a few that show imported new programmes and i'm not sure how many Sky have but they have a few, and that's just including the ones that make or show new shows. Gold and Dave make their own shows as well as showing repeats.
The Nimon

Postby FordTimelord » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Rumour doing the rounds that there won't be a full series in 2016 and also Peter Capaldi now has Executive status which means he get's approval on costume, writers and directors.
FordTimelord

Postby Heccypoo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:51 pm

FordTimelord wrote:Rumour doing the rounds that there won't be a full series in 2016 and also Peter Capaldi now has Executive status which means he get's approval on costume, writers and directors.

The bit about Capaldi having Executive status does make me more hopeful...
Heccypoo

Postby King Womble » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:58 pm

FordTimelord wrote:Rumour doing the rounds that there won't be a full series in 2016 and also Peter Capaldi now has Executive status which means he get's approval on costume, writers and directors.

The latest rumour on the wind in my part of the world is that the show will be rested for a year after the next season. Also hearing that Capaldi's on the board of directors. Kinda fits with what you've heard Ford.
Shake some action...
King Womble

Postby Allons-y » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:27 am

It seems extremely unlikely that the BBC would rest one of their most popular programmes and biggest money spinners, especially as it's at an all time high. Unless it's something like they did in 2009 to sort things out behind the scenes, but with Moffat confirmed for Series 10 even that seems unlikely.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

PreviousNext

Return to SERIES 10