Doctor Who 2017: renaissance or car crash?

For discussion of series 10 of Doctor Who starring Peter Capaldi

Re: Doctor Who 2017: renaissance or car crash?

Postby George Agdgdgwngo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Doctor Who has been crap since the second Matt Smith series, lots of plots that the general public don't understand and I'm sure Moffat does this to stick two fingers up to the fans too. The 50th was a complete waste of time IMHO and a wasted opportunity for some adventure stories. Left it on "I'm going to find Gallifrey? is that what I'm mean't to do?"

Then didn't.

This series seems to be more Doctor in sunglasses, standing on a tank and playing guitar crap or amazing tutor at university with vault subplot/arc (zzzzzZZZZZ). With the ratings the worst since Battlefield and a new show runner who's stories where pretty dull and awful on the show, but is a one trick Broadchurch pony....I think it's entering the last chance before the BBC pull the plug in 2020.
George Agdgdgwngo

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby cyberlad » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Yeah you haven't actually watched the last two episodes, have you George?
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby George Agdgdgwngo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:24 am

cyberlad wrote:Yeah you haven't actually watched the last two episodes, have you George?

Yes, they were still sh*te
George Agdgdgwngo

Postby shuzbot » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:39 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/steven- ... g_share_fb

Steven Moffat and the Doctor Who fans: their messy relationship
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby James-S » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:18 pm

George Agdgdgwngo wrote:Doctor Who has been crap since the second Matt Smith series

Huzzah! I've finally found another fan who agrees with me as to precisely when Nu Who started to turn to apparently irrevocable sh^te!

Being an aging stalwart of Classic Who of which was such an iconic staple of my childhood I was naturally highly sceptical when the show returned in 2005 but must admit it totally won me over - in spite of RTD's usually middling efforts and his insatiable egotism. It was essential viewing.

Crucially though RTD benefited from a strong cadre of talented writers to compensate for his own decided averageness - something that a creatively-drained Moff, with a few exceptions, doesn't have. Indeed, one wonders why some of the current crop of writers were/are commissioned quite honestly (I can certainly hazard a guess in a couple of instances ;) ).

Nope, Seasons 1 to 5 were Nu Who at its masterful, creative peak for me, with Moff's first as showrunner Season 5 being particularly strong. The surprisingly lacklustre Season 6 though and things have declined alarmingly quickly - bar a scant few exceptional episodes.

Tellingly said decline coincides with Moff showing increasing contempt for 'traditional' fans, lacing his work with crude political/ideological gestures (that makes RTD's self-indulgence look 'quaint' by comparison!), obligatory 'man' quips as well as his apparently near-insatiable desperation to redeem himself in the eyes of those who hounded him off social media for being a "rape apologist", along with other equally 'colourful' (and disgustingly unmerited) epithets....

^Not mere coincidence methinks. 8-)
James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby George Agdgdgwngo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 pm

I suspect in 10 years time the truth will come out about Moffat. Having fallen out with his co-producers and having them removed (Beth and Piers) and also Caroline "you'll never work on this show again" Skinner removed.

I think his way of having Clara (a character made out to be too clever and better than the Doctor) inserted in to every story is just egotistical and a pointless "look how clever I am" move.
George Agdgdgwngo

Postby iank » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:47 pm

I can't argue with any of that... but I still think series 10 has been okay - not spectacular, but 'okay' - so far.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby shuzbot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:11 pm

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2017/07/heads- ... imagining/

As it Heads into a Transition Period, “Doctor Who” Needs a Drastic Re-Imagining
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:34 pm

http://hiddenremote.com/2017/07/12/pete ... owed-dwsr/

Peter Capaldi’s final days of filming ‘Doctor Who’ overshadowed by #DWSR
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Meow » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:59 am

shuzbot wrote:http://tomandlorenzo.com/2017/07/heads-transition-period-doctor-needs-drastic-re-imagining/

As it Heads into a Transition Period, “Doctor Who” Needs a Drastic Re-Imagining

I would hope for a drastic re-imagining every time a new showrunner comes in! Moffat managed to reinvent the show twice (s5 and s8) but now it's time for another.
Meow

Postby Greyhawk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:25 pm

I have yet to watch any of series 10 or the last superhero special (the very concept just makes me roll my eyes).

I was hoping to wait until the season was over and binge it in late September.

Now, with Capaldi going and the imminent "everything male is bad" sex change, I am honestly not entirely sure I will sit down and watch at all.

I would normally be quite interested in the upcoming Christmas special, but knowing how it must end has taken that from me.
"YOU INTERNET BULLY. COME OUT AND I WILL PHYSICALLY ASSAULT YOU FOR QUOTING ME ON THE INTERNET!!!"
- Bored of Canada (paraphrasing iamthedoctor)

"Makes me want to just pack up and quit and go to another site where we dont have all these rules."
"This is getting crazy now. Its supposed to be a discussion site."
"...me and him just meet in a public place so I can give him a bloody good kicking..."
"So if thats the case we re getting 44 episodes in november then!"
"Is William Hurt making a appearance in Saturdays episode?"
"Has Frasier Hines said hes done a commentary for Fury?"
- iamthedoctor

"...sh*t posters will sh*t post..."
"HE WAS MEAN TO ME ON THE INTERNET!"
- Bored of Canada

"You are everything that is wrong with this thread. Cheap insults from behind a keyboard."
- DOOMSTER
Greyhawk

Previous

Return to SERIES 10