Bill

For discussion of series 10 of Doctor Who starring Peter Capaldi

Bill

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:20 am

I have a funny feeling that I've seen her before. :?

The serving Chips line reminds me of Rose Tyler, The calling The Doctor "Professor" reminds me of Ace and the asking questions all the time reminds me of every other companion.

I don't know what to think of her yet.
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Bill

Postby Flying Tiger Comics » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:34 pm

I just want her time to be cut short and her place to be taken by another in 2018.

2017 is a writeoff anyway, the sooner all the remaining crap is put down like a dog and something fresh and new, and much less preachy, managerial and globalist, replaces it, the better.

Bill is a bad idea that in true current Who form will be pursued to and beyond the bitter end.

2018 needs a new Doctor, new companion, and new approach. Spearhead from Space compared to War Games level of change needed.

Bill herself is a pastiche of a pastiche - ridiculous in idea and execution. And the smirking is already irritating.
Doctor Who extend-a-story: write your own adventures! http://thezombienomicon.com/eas/read.php?episode=63
Flying Tiger Comics

Postby iank » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:48 pm

Agreed. I'm alarmed rather than jumping for joy by the idea that Capaldi might stay too. A completely new start is the only hope there is for this show for me, and that's a pretty slim one, sadly.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:37 am

Bowtiesarecool wrote:I have a funny feeling that I've seen her before. :?

Maybe here?

"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:48 am

LizR wrote:
Bowtiesarecool wrote:I have a funny feeling that I've seen her before. :?

Maybe here?

You've got a point, there! :o

Mind you, the series hasn't even started, yet so maybe I'm being a bit in judging her. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt before I declare my full judgment, but she does seem like she's the stereotypical Doctor Who companion cobbled together by someone who hasn't even seen the show.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby LizR » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:25 am

Obviously I will also give her the benefit of the doubt, but I won't raise my expectations too much. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed... :roll:
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby James-S » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 am

Further to an earlier post of mine lamenting how utterly unenthused I am for Nu Who these days and thus have been completely out of the loop with regards to series' developments/announcements I now hear that 'Bill' is a lesbian and is therefore.......wait for it.........the first gay Doctor Who companion!

Ooooooh, how progressive and edgy!

Or possibly not.

Now before I likely receive a righteous rebuking from those misinterpreting my cynicism for outright homophobia I should clarify that I genuinely don't have a problem with this.....providing her sexuality doesn't end up defining her character and Moff resists the temptation to remind us of it every bloody episode in a tritely combative 'take that nasty Daily Mail readers!' type way. Contrary to (not so) popular belief that doesn't make good television, or indeed endearing characters.

^In other words 'Bill' should be the very antithesis of the consistently dreadful and terminally one dimensional Vastra and Jenny. ;)

Still, Moff and his priorities eh?!
James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby LizR » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Don't forget Rose (more comebacks than Elvis) Tyler and Donna ("we aren't a couple") Noble.

Although actually they look like Hedda Gabler compared to some of the recent lot.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:21 pm

She's very bland, so far.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby shuzbot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:23 pm

She was better than I thought she would be. I think it really depends on how Moffat decides to write her.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ll-maigret

Doctor Who review – the Time Lord gets his mojo back thanks to his gobby sidekick
The Doctor’s latest assistant is black, lesbian and called Bill, but what really sets her apart is that she pricks his self-regard, and not before time. Plus Rowan Atkinson in Maigret’s Night at the Crossroads
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby James-S » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:02 pm

shuzbot wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/apr/17/doctor-who-gets-mojo-back-gobby-sidekick-bill-maigret

Doctor Who review – the Time Lord gets his mojo back thanks to his gobby sidekick
The Doctor’s latest assistant is black, lesbian and called Bill, but what really sets her apart is that she pricks his self-regard, and not before time. Plus Rowan Atkinson in Maigret’s Night at the Crossroads

Now now, don't be disingenuous Stu', the "black" and the "lesbian" aspect was always going to be good enough for you and The Guardian!

:lol:

For my own initial impressions of 'Bill' I think I'll give it a few episodes before passing final judgment on the character. Still, her introduction was far from a disaster though the episode itself was fairly underwhelming, suffering as it did from a fair few of the usual Moffisms of recent times unfortunately.
James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:17 pm

I think she's growing on me.

She asks a lotof questions and it can be a bit grating, but I actually find her to be a breath of fresh air after in your face Clara.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby Dragonsire » Thu May 04, 2017 3:23 am

She kinda bores me. Diversity for the sake of it, annoys me, Lesbian and Black...guess they figured they could tick off two of the boxes in one shot. But whatever I could care less for what gender/color/orientation the companion is...if they are good. Bill bores me. Even the name is blah.

I want a companion like Donna that challenges the Doctor, or Evelyn (6th big finish).

The companion relationship has gotten stale. Too many bad wolf/impossible girl/girl who waited crap. What's this ones big mystery going to be...
Dragonsire

Postby LizR » Thu May 04, 2017 4:52 am

I like her, so far. She's far more interesting than "Impossible girl" or "Ramy", and anyone who looks at the TARDIS and ask how much it cost gets my vote. The fact that she's gay has hardly impinged except via the lovestruck puddle, and her colour hasn't either apart from a few remarks in the last ep.

Of course it could all go pear-shaped any time in the next few weeks.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu May 04, 2017 6:10 am

Well, she's a much less irritating character than what Clara was thus far, so that's a plus in my books.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Allons-y » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 am

Dragonsire wrote:But whatever I could care less for what gender/color/orientation the companion is...if they are good. Bill bores me. Even the name is blah.

So you care a bit? The phrase you are looking for is "couldn't care less", old chap.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby Allons-y » Fri May 05, 2017 1:32 am

She seems okay so far, it's rather refreshing to have a companion who is just that, not the Doctor's maybe-would-be-if-he-were-human-girlfriend, or most-important-person ever, or whatever.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby LizR » Fri May 05, 2017 2:55 am

Allons-y wrote:
Dragonsire wrote:But whatever I could care less for what gender/color/orientation the companion is...if they are good. Bill bores me. Even the name is blah.

So you care a bit? The phrase you are looking for is "couldn't care less", old chap.

Or he may even care a lot. All we know for sure is that he does care to some extent.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Allons-y » Fri May 05, 2017 3:45 am

LizR wrote:
Allons-y wrote:

Or he may even care a lot. All we know for sure is that he does care to some extent.

Well quite.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Next

Return to SERIES 10